Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
file not found.
Where Colin Kaepernick should land if the 49ers cut ties

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick needs a fresh start, a new teacher and a system that defies the stubborn old-school logic of the NFL. Talk that he is unable to adapt to the static world of the pro game is shortsighted and a product of coaches unwilling to think outside of the box. Kaepernick, despite his early success in the league, has taken a step back in his development as an NFL quarterback, but don't be so quick to dismiss him being a starter again some day.

Getting to that point would require dedication on Kaepernick's end to absorb new techniques -- and likely a willingness to begin this journey as a No. 2 guy in 2016. But it's not all on the QB. All player-coach relationships are two-way streets, and it would be up to Kaepernick's coaches to create a new learning curve for the QB, along with a system that meshes spread and pro-style concepts.

Thinking along those lines, here are a few teams and coaches who could facilitate Kaepernick's development next season, should the 49ers decide to go in a different direction.

Sando: It's easy to forget just how bright Kaepernick's future appeared when the 49ers signed him to a contract extension before their 2014 training camp. He had a 21-8 starting record with four postseason victories and a Super Bowl appearance. He ranked first in Total QBR, second in winning percentage and fourth in passer rating among 25 quarterbacks who made their first 29 starts over the previous nine seasons.

Was it all a mirage? Yes and no. The 49ers have imploded since Kaepernick signed his contract extension. Plans have changed. There are new coaches, a new offense and severely diminished personnel around him. The context that helped Kaepernick to succeed has dissolved.

one personnel director said. "It is really crazy because they paid him all that money. When Kaepernick was having success, they were doing the read-option, they were rolling him out, he was doing stuff like that. He has a strong arm and he is not terribly accurate, but when he had that threat of running, he was much better."

The dozens of NFL coaches and personnel evaluators I've polled regarding quarterbacks never thought Kaepernick would become an upper-tier drop-back passer. He was never accurate enough. His throwing mechanics were questionable. He had no training in a drop-back passing offense. Is age 28 the time to make Kaepernick into something few people, if any, ever thought he could become? That's a tough sell.

"History shows unless they can adapt and beat you from the pocket, they become Jake Locker," another personnel evaluator once told me, referencing the oft-injured former Titans quarterback. "Eventually, people will stop rushing Russell Wilson and make him beat them from the pocket. Time tells if he can do that at 5-foot-10. My guess is that Kaepernick physically can. Whether the mental side will allow him to, I do not know."

No doubt, coaches and players (especially defensive backs) around the NFL respect quarterbacks who can beat them consistently as passers from the pocket. Dual-threat quarterbacks crave that respect. They naturally want to prove they can succeed without their legs. Has Kaepernick gone that route? That is difficult to prove statistically.

Before landing on the bench and injured reserve this season, Kaepernick was running the ball about as frequently as he had in the past. (See chart above.) His zone-read rushing attempts also had not fallen sharply. But with nearly all the 49ers' running backs injured, their offensive line (including tight ends) diminished and their defensive safety net gone, playing quarterback certainly became tougher for an unpolished passer in a new system. Other quarterbacks, including Joe Flacco this season, have had issues when their support systems have fallen apart.

The surest way for Kaepernick to succeed again is for his 2016 team to recreate some of the conditions that existed for him previously. That means placing the quarterback in an offense with a ground game strong enough to compromise what opposing defenses can do to slow down a dual-threat quarterback.

Tony Romo? Houston, despite getting better-than-expected play from Hoyer this season, has a long-term need and a head coach in Bill O'Brien who comes from the Bill Belichick game-plan-of-the-week approach. Could Kaepernick have some appeal there?

Bowen: There are two important perspectives here. Let's start with the money angle. Kaepernick is making $12.8 million this season. And for him to come anywhere close to that figure in 2016 (assuming the 49ers release him), he'll have to be signed by a team that sees him as a possible long-term solution at quarterback, not a developmental project. Starting over as a No. 2? That's not quite as lucrative.

With that in mind, St. Louis and Houston both make a lot of sense. Neither team has a franchise quarterback, and both play with an old-school style: Run the ball, play defense and get the necessary production from the quarterback to win football games.

The trade to bring in Nick Foles has been a bust for Jeff Fisher's team, and Brian Hoyer isn't the quarterback to build around for the future in Houston under Bill O'Brien. Would the Rams or Texans adapt their systems to fit Kaepernick? That's up for debate, but the opportunity to start right away -- and make decent money -- might be there.

With Chip Kelly and the Eagles, the idea of bringing in Kaepernick is becoming a tired narrative, but I get it. Kelly's up-tempo style and play calling facilitates quick reads from the quarterback and also caters to an athletic guy who can run the ball on the zone-read concept. I could see Kelly and Kaepernick fitting well together if the two had an entire offseason to work together and mesh the QB's style with the Eagles' playbook.

Looking at the Cowboys, I would never doubt Jerry Jones when a high-profile name comes available. He's a business man first, and Kaepernick would sell in Big D. Plus, there has to be some concern over the future of Tony Romo. Given Romo's age and the injuries, the clock is ticking. That could be another landing spot that pays well on Kaepernick's list.

But let's take a step back here and focus on another key element: What coaches, other than Kelly, would provide the development that Kaepernick needs? If the QB finds someone who both plays to his strengths and is fully invested in harnessing his raw talent, the money will follow. Trust me.

Personally, I'd love to see Kaepernick team up with Adam Gase. The Bears' offensive coordinator has done an excellent job with Jay Cutler this season. From the advanced mechanics Cutler has shown in the pocket to his ability to execute within the system, Gase has the Bears' much-maligned QB playing the best ball of his career.

Yeah, the overall numbers might not reflect that, but the tape really tells the story: Gase has taken one of the NFL's "gunslingers" and harnessed him to create a smarter and more effective player. The Bears, at times, reflect a college spread team with packaged plays, run-pass options, the wide receiver screen game and even the threat of the zone-read. And that, in turn, has put Cutler in a position to produce with limited weapons around him at the skill positions due to injury.

Tyrod Taylor, is signed for multiple seasons at a reasonable rate, so the team could sign Kaepernick for decent backup money and still remain under budget at the position. Taylor would be the starter based on how well he is playing. Kaepernick would provide insurance that seems badly needed given Taylor's inability to stay healthy and the Bills' inability to win games without him.

One important factor to remember, which Matt alluded to, is that several head coaching and coordinator jobs will turn over before next season, making projections difficult this far out.

There are some other details to consider, as well. Kaepernick's contract with San Francisco is scheduled to count $16.8 million against the 2016 salary cap. The team would still have to account for $7.4 million in cap charges even if Kaepernick were off the roster. The contract also gives the 49ers until April 1 -- weeks into free agency and the trading period -- to make a decision before future guarantees lock in. That means this drama could be playing out for some time.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Former Panther DeAngelo Williamsis off having a fine season in Pittsburgh, but Jonathan Stewart, going back to the final six weeks or so of the 2014 season, is running as effectively as he has in his career. Being healthy helps, of course -- injuries have been Stewart's biggest problem in the NFL -- but talent was never an issue with this guy.

The Panthers' coaching staff and front office also deserve a lot of credit for assembling some fine blocking, considering that the majority of their offensive line is constructed of mid- or low-round draft picks or reasonably inexpensive free-agent additions. The interior of this offensive line has been terrific. This is a very difficult rushing attack to prepare for and play against.

i

2. Minnesota Vikings
Adrian Peterson is not only the best running back of this generation, but he is truly an all-time great. And although I don't think he is quite the force he was at the height of his power, he's still far better than just about anyone in the business right now. And amazingly, after a league-high 237 carries, Peterson looks stronger and more explosive this late in the year than he did during the first half of the season. However, it does have to be mentioned that fumbles remain a big problem.

Another tribute to Peterson's greatness is that Minnesota's offensive line, with the exception of Joe Berger at center, is the clear weakness of this improving organization right now. Peterson's Week 12 performance against a strong Falcons run defense may have been his strongest game of the season. The best might be still to come, as the Vikings might require more from Peterson amid the decline of their passing attack. As a team, Minnesota leads the league in rushing yards per game (146.4) as well as yards per carry (4.9).

i

3. Seattle Seahawks
Thomas Rawls, averaging a whopping 5.6 yards per carry, has taken the league by storm during his rookie season and is an outstanding fit in Seattle's zone-based scheme. And Marshawn Lynch, a deserved future Hall of Famer, remains one of the top players at the position.

Although QB Russell Wilson hasn't done the damage with his legs in 2015 like he has in previous seasons, his run threat remains very real, and like Newton, those talents open up room for his running backs.

There might not be a team in the league that puts fewer resources into its offensive line, but this unit is extremely well-coached by Tom Cable and has improved noticeably as this season has progressed ... just in time for a strong playoff run. The rest of the league needs to beware, especially once Lynch returns.

i

4. Pittsburgh Steelers
Although it was a small sample size, to me, Le'Veon Bell was having the best season of any running back in football this year. Unfortunately, Bell is out for the season, but DeAngelo Williams, as mentioned above, has also been incredibly effective for the Steelers' high-powered offense. Although Williams isn't the receiver that Bell is, he has been very impressive as a traditional runner.

However, the aging Williams must stay healthy for the remainder of the season, as Pittsburgh has very little behind him. The lack of a top running back was a huge problem when Bell was out during the Steelers' playoff loss last season. Only the Vikings average more than Pittsburgh on a per-carry basis.

i

5. Kansas City Chiefs
After Jamaal Charles was lost for the season, I fully expected Kansas City's running game, and offense overall, to decline in a steep manner. Wow, was I wrong. First, it was Charcandrick West, a quick-footed back; then in Week 12, it was Spencer Ware.

Like the entire Chiefs' offense, West exceeded my low expectations, but I actually believe Ware is the better fit to be Kansas City's top ball carrier. Ware is quick to position his shoulders parallel to the line of scrimmage, looks for defenders to punish and really packs a wallop when he arrives at the point of contact. Both should see action going forward and West's skill set is much closer to Charles'.

Kansas City's offensive line isn't the most talented in the league, but it has improved as the season has gone on. West and Ware certainly aren't the players that Charles is, but they have received better blocking than Charles did early in the season. Rookie Mitch Morse looks like a foundation player at center for years to come. However, Kansas City's offensive line was hit by injuries (including Morse) against the Bills, which is something to monitor.

It isn't mentioned enough, but Andy Reid knows a thing or two about generating offense, even with just average talent at his disposal.

Honorable mentions: Atlanta, Buffalo, Cincinnati and Tampa Bay.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Top 10 center fielders in MLB; latest free-agency notes

Stacking the top of the leaderboard of center fielders is relatively simple because The Best Player on the Planet is at No. 1 -- that would be Mike Trout, of course -- and Andrew McCutchen is a solid No. 2 pick.

However, one evaluator who was asked for his input said there may be an intruder in the world of Trout and McCutchen very soon, because of the progress of Arizona’s A.J. Pollock. "I don't think a lot of fans and media understand how good he really is," the evaluator said.

The Diamondbacks certainly do, which is why they intend to follow up on discussions about a long-term deal with him later this winter, once other significant winter work is completed and Arizona begins to prepare for arbitration. Pollock will turn 28 Saturday, has a little over three years of service time and is coming off a season in which he compiled 65 extra-base hits, 111 runs and 39 stolen bases.

When Arizona has asked other teams about possible deals for pitching, Pollock's name has been mentioned repeatedly, and the Diamondbacks quickly deflect. "We aren't going to trade him," one Arizona official said.

Pollock is almost untouchable, Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall said Wednesday night.

Ranking the top 10 center fielders in MLB:

1. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels

i
He just had his 24th birthday in August, and yet sometime during the 2016 season, he'll probably hit the 150th homer of his career and score the 500th run, and by season's end, he'll be closing in on 1,000 hits. That is nuts. He is the only player in history to finish first or second in the MVP voting in each of his first four seasons.2. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates

i
Next season, the drumbeat about his contract situation begins. Under the terms of the deal he signed with the Pirates, he has three years left, including a team option for 2018. McCutchen, 29, is building a formidable legacy, with five All-Star appearances and four consecutive years in which he has finished in the top five in the NL MVP voting. He seemingly has gotten more and more efficient in situational hitting as he gets more adept at picking pitches: He batted .361 last season with runners in scoring position.

Andrew McCutchen batting with RISP
Batting average Slugging percentage OBP
2015 .361 .494 .656
2014 .303 .440 .447
2013 .282 .389 .365
2012 .326 .442 .533
2011 .285 .387 .550
2010 .255 .364 .351

Plus McCutchen keeps doing stuff like this.

3. A.J. Pollock, Arizona Diamondbacks

i
To go with some of the offensive numbers mentioned above, the Diamondbacks center fielder was in the top 10 in the majors in WAR in 2015. Pollack hit 20 homers in 2015, more than twice his previous season high of eight in 2013.

4. Lorenzo Cain, Kansas City Royals

i
The guy who ranked right behind Pollock in WAR was Cain, who continues to mature as a hitter. His rates of contact went up, his percentage of missed swings went down -- from 11 percent in 2014 to 8.4 percent last year -- and Cain racked up 101 runs in just 140 games last season, with a career-high slugging percentage of .477. Cain ranked in the top 10 among all fielders in defensive runs saved.

5. Mookie Betts, Boston Red Sox

i
Some evaluators actually ranked Betts as high as third in this top 10 because of his extraordinary progress and what they perceive to be a serious devotion to improving. It was just four years ago that the Red Sox selected Betts in the fifth round of the draft, and already he is doing serious damage at the plate. He finished last season with 68 extra-base hits -- 42 doubles, eight triples and 18 homers. At a time when consistent contact is an increasingly rare commodity, Betts has some very Dustin Pedroia-like numbers: 86 extra-base hits and just 113 strikeouts in 197 games.

Keep in mind that Betts was struggling early in the 2015 season, hitting .221 on May 17. From that point forward, he batted .312, with an .861 OPS. Not surprisingly, other teams keep asking about him in trade talks, and not surprisingly, the Red Sox say no.

6. Adam Jones, Baltimore Orioles

i
The Orioles center fielder has been incredibly consistent over the past seven seasons, posting an OPS in the range of .767 to .839 with at least 19 homers and 49 extra-base hits. In 2015, he hit 25 homers with 82 RBIs in 137 games.

7. Kevin Kiermaier, Tampa Bay Rays

i
The Rays center fielder posted a staggering DRS total of 42, nearly lapping the player who finished second, Andrelton Simmons. So despite some questions about how good of a hitter he will be moving forward (he hit .263 with 24 walks in 151 games), his glovework is so good that even some traditional scouts ranked him high on this list.

8. Dexter Fowler, free agent

i
He scored 102 runs for the Cubs last season while posting 149 hits, 84 walks and a more than respectable .346 on-base percentage. Plus he is a switch-hitter, hits for some power and steals some bases. He did not fare well in some defensive metrics, such as DRS.

9. Kevin Pillar, Toronto Blue Jays

i
Evaluators love how hard he plays and how he sells out in his defense. He was difference-maker for Toronto in 2015 and was right there with Pollock in DRS with 14. He's probably not higher on this list largely because of his on-base percentage -- he had 28 walks in 159 games -- and there is a curiosity about how the 26-year-old Pillar improves in the years ahead.

10. Adam Eaton, Chicago White Sox

i
Like a lot of the White Sox players, Eaton got off to a terrible start. But Eaton greatly improved as the 2015 season progressed, batting .335 after the All-Star break, 11th-best in the majors, and finishing with a career-high 14 homers and 58 RBIs.

Toughest guys to leave off

The Astros' Carlos Gomez. “When he’s healthy, he’s among the best [center fielders],” said one evaluator, and Gomez just wasn’t healthy last season, playing only 115 games.

The Rockies' Charlie Blackmon is widely respected for the type of player that he is, but as with other Colorado hitters, there is some mystery about exactly how good he is because of his Jekyll/Hyde home/road splits. Last season, he had an .890 OPS in games played in Colorado and a .695 OPS in road games. The theory of one evaluator is that Rockies hitters see such a completely different quality of breaking pitches when they play outside of Colorado that they struggle against sliders and curves.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Notables

Zack Greinke will decide soon where he will land next, and sources say the Dodgers have been extremely reluctant to guarantee a sixth year in their offer, in order to win the bidding against the Giants.

Greinke is not worth with the Giants are offering, writes Mark Purdy.

• The Yankees have been part of a lot of trade conversations that involve a lot of different players, but it seems that on their end, the focus swirls around the possible addition of young starting pitching, whether it's pitchers on the cusp of the big leagues or pitchers who have little service time.

The Yankees are about to ratchet up their marketing of Ivan Nova, writes George King.

• The Angels are focused on position players and apparently have the financial flexibility to at least consider all of the market options, including the more expensive corner outfielders, like Yoenis Cespedes, Justin Upton, Jason Heyward and Alex Gordon.

Angels GM Billy Eppler believes he has an ace, writes Mike DiGiovanna.

• As the offseason began, there was an assumption within the Mets organization that Cespedes was probably going to sign for a whole lot more money that the Mets were willing to pay. However, as the winter drags out and Cespedes remains unsigned -- and his price tag presumably drops -- the Mets could jump back into the mix and look to re-sign him.

Cespedes' representation has been very aggressive in trying to develop some market traction, contacting clubs with repeated phone calls in recent days.

• The Padres are said to be pushing James Shields in their trade conversations in an effort to dump the last three years of his contract. He's guaranteed $63 million in salary for 2016 through 2018.

• Some rival executives believe that although the Marlins aren't shopping Jose Fernandez, it is possible to structure an aggressive deal to get him. In other words, Miami is open to being overwhelmed in a trade for Fernandez.

• A refrain currently spoken by rival executives: What do you hear about the Reds? The perception early in this offseason was that the Reds would be aggressive in changing direction this winter, in starting a modified rebuilding process. Aroldis Chapman has been mentioned in trade talks with the Astros and other teams, and the Reds talked about Todd Frazier with the Rangers, Indians and other clubs. But to date, the Reds still have Chapman, Frazier, Jay Bruce, Brandon Phillips et al.

• Oakland is expected to land one of the second-tier starting pitchers in the market, only the latest indication that the Athletics won't go the route of the Astros and tank a couple of seasons. Other clubs have been wondering whether Oakland would take advantage of the current high prices being paid for pitching and market Sonny Gray. But the Athletics can be confident that they would get a great return for Gray next fall (assuming he stays healthy) because the industry desperation will be only more acute, with such an incredibly thin free-agent class looming next year. The same dynamic is in place for the Braves and Shelby Miller and Julio Teheran; the Indians and their young pitching; the Mets and Matt Harvey; etc., etc.

• Neal Huntington spoke with reporters about the decision to cut loose Pedro Alvarez rather than tender him a contract, and says he made a mistake in how quickly he promoted Alvarez.

Some executives think Alvarez would have to get almost all of his at-bats as a designated hitter. The Orioles have interest in talking with Alvarez, although their own needs are currently in flux. They'd still like to re-sign Chris Davis, but if they can't bring him back, Alvarez would be a natural fit because their projected lineup is heavily right-handed -- Manny Machado, Adam Jones, Jonathan Schoop et al -- and Alvarez would provide left-handed power.

• Ross Atkins is the new GM of the Blue Jays, as expected. He had worked with Blue Jays president Mark Shapiro in Cleveland. Atkins and Shapiro will have to win over title-hungry Toronto fans, writes John Lott.

• Alex Speier writes that in the David Price negotiations, the Red Sox sent a high-level recruiter -- John Henry.

Nori Aoki signed a one-year deal with the Mariners.

• Teams can now negotiate with Kenta Maeda. The Diamondbacks have been watching him closely.

greyline.png

Moves, deals and decisions

1. The White Sox signed Dioner Navarro and could go with a platoon of Navarro (who hits lefties well) and Alex Avila.

2. The Rays dropped Joey Butler.

3. The Braves are keeping Bobby Cox as a consultant.

greyline.png

AL East

• Larry Lucchino complimented the Red Sox ownership for changing course.

• Rays pitching coach Jim Hickey talked about how much better David Price became.

• Some numbers on how Mark Trumbo might adapt in the AL East.

greyline.png

AL Central

• The Tigers are looking to add a starter and a reliever, writes Anthony Fenech.

• The Twins will try to make all their pieces fit together, writes Phil Miller.

greyline.png

AL West

• With Hank Conger traded, Max Stassi now has an opportunity, writes Evan Drellich.

greyline.png

NL East

• The Phillies have the first pick in next year’s draft, and Jim Salisbury writes about a guy they might consider.

• Bob Brookover thinks the Phillies should target Jason Heyward.

greyline.png

NL Central

• The Cardinals have moved on from some of their worst offensive players, writes Jeff Gordon.

• A Reds pitcher is a big fan of the fans.

greyline.png

NL West

Patrick Saunders writes about how much money the Rockies have to spend.

• Are the Rockies interested in Shelby Miller?

• The Padres worked out a signing of Cody Decker.

greyline.png

Lastly

• The Royals have donated some items to the Hall of Fame.

• The Diamondbacks unveiled new uniforms.

Hunter Pencesurprised his girlfriend.

• Lynn Henning decided not to submit a Hall of Fame ballot this year.

And today will be better than yesterday.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
skooby this aint there..repost it dogg
Bilas Index: The first look at the 68 best teams in the land

Welcome to the first installment of the 2015-16 season's sole, truly reliable measure of hoop accomplishment and prowess in the known universe, which is not so humbly known as ... The Bilas Index.

Of course, it is difficult for The Bilastrator to be humble when he produces something this prophetic and accurate. The general public is easily fooled by the horribly inaccurate measures and proclamations of other analytics, none of which have the exactness and precision of The Bilas Index. In addition, the unwashed masses can use the predictive powers of The Bilas Index to win office pools and daily fantasy cash. You're welcome.

The Bilas Index is the most steadfast, trustworthy and reliable gauge in judging the achievement, ability, skill, competence and aptitude for the progression of college basketball teams. The faultless judgments of The Bilastrator are based upon the considered opinion of the most authoritative basketball instrument the game has ever known, the boundless brilliance and immeasurable intellect of The Bilastrator himself. The Bilastrator's super cranial abilities team with data from other recognized sources to amass a palatable inventory of teams so that any small mind can expand his or her basketball consciousness and understand the game as if they were Hubie Brown after eating some of Bill Walton's brownies at a hoop clinic.

As we begin The Bilas Index, understand something about this season. This is not the same type of season that we had in 2014-15. There is not the power at the top we had last season, and there are no teams at the start of this season that you can pencil into the Final Four (of course, no matter the season, The Bilastrator uses pen, and is always right). As a point of reference, no team in this year's Bilas Index would have cracked the top 5 of last year's Bilas Index. That means there will be more teams in the mix for the Final Four and national championship, and more unpredictability (for you, not for The Bilastrator). Last year, there were several teams in the "great" category. This year, there are not.

The Bilastrator offers you this magnificent anthology of basketball wisdom for your fulfillment, enjoyment and basketball education. As always, you're welcome world.

i

1. Kentucky Wildcats
The Wildcats were No. 1 all season in 2014-15, and start this season in the same spot. There are not three guards in the country who can stay in front of Jamal Murray, Isaiah Briscoe and Tyler Ulis. You might have one or two, but you don't have three. Kentucky is going to see a lot of zone this year. If the big guys play to their capabilities, this team will be top 5 all season.

i

2. North Carolina Tar Heels
With Marcus Paige back , the Tar Heels are as good as anyone in The Bilas Index, and Final Four worthy. The Heels are a better shooting team, but the difference between contender and net cutting will be the big guys. Do they play with championship intensity consistently?

i

3. Michigan State Spartans
The Spartans are not even at full strength yet, missing Marvin Clark and Gavin Schilling, but have started strong with wins over Kansas and Boise State. Denzel Valentine has been the most productive player in the nation.

i

4. Villanova Wildcats
Jay Wright has very good guards (again), and a developing big man in Daniel Ochefu, one of the top ten offensive rebounders in the country.

i

5. Maryland Terrapins
The Terps are deep, talented and have everything it takes to win it all. Melo Trimble is an elite point guard, and Maryland has already defeated Georgetown and Rhode Island.The loss at North Carolina was more about what Maryland didn't do, rather than what Maryland is capable of.

i

6. Kansas Jayhawks
Bill Self has quality depth and size, but no NBA lottery picks. The key is the play of Wayne Selden. If Selden plays the way he did over the summer, Kansas is Final Four good. If he plays like a jump-shooter only, Kansas will only win the Big 12 (again). For some reason, finishing games has been a question mark.

i

7. Virginia Cavaliers
Virginia lost to George Washington, and there was a near panic. Yet, Virginia is one of only six teams ranked in the top 15 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. Virginia lost a game. So what? The Cavaliers are good.

i

8. Xavier Musketeers
The Bilastrator sees this Xavier team as the best under Chris Mack, and he has had some darn good teams. Jalen Reynolds is a load for any interior defender, Trevon Bluiett is the top scorer and Edmond Sumner is a special player.

i

9. Oklahoma Sooners
The Sooners are legit. Buddy Hield is one of the top five scorers in the nation, and Ryan Spangler can play pick-and-pop with the guards. Oklahoma can spread the floor wider than Bob Stoops' offense can spread the field. Plus, Oklahoma is now a really good defensive team.

i

10. Duke Blue Devils
The Blue Devils are very talented but still trying to figure it out. It's not that Duke's freshmen aren't as good as advertised, it's that they're not as good as last season's crop, which was truly special. But, like last season, Duke will have to figure out how to stay in front of the ball on defense. Duke is not its best yet. A key will be whether Brandon Ingram can mature into an alpha dog. Against Indiana, he proved that he can be.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

11. Purdue Boilermakers
The Boilermakers are one of the better defensive teams in the country, with size in the paint and competitive fighters on the wings. Purdue is holding opponents to only 36.1 percent effective field goal percentage, which leads the nation.

i

12. Syracuse Orange
Dang, Syracuse is fun to watch! This team has multiple perimeter shooters and is aggressive hunting 3-point opportunities, especially in transition. Jim Boeheim might even smile a little during a game. And, Tyler Lydon ... Oh my goodness.

i

13. Texas A&M Aggies
The Bilastrator told you in October that Texas A&M had a top-25 team. He was incorrect. Texas A&M has a top-15 team. The Aggies are deep, talented and big. This might be the best Aggies team since Acie Law was in College Station.

i

14. Gonzaga Bulldogs
The Zags have the best frontcourt in the country, and one of the better defensive teams in the nation. The issue is whether their guards can match the performance of past Gonzaga backcourts. Turnovers have to come down, and free throws need to go up.

i

15. West Virginia Mountaineers
Bob Huggins had a terrific defensive team last season, but now has a better one, and a much better offensive team. The Mountaineers still don't shoot well from deep, but they are older and much better. West Virginia leads the nation in turnover percentage and steals rate.

i

16. Vanderbilt Commodores
The Commodores (can anyone say that without thinking of Lionel Ritchie rather than some overdressed sailor?) are very good and very precise offensively, and far better than people think on the defensive end. Damian Jones and Luke Kornet provide great size, and Wade Baldwin, Riley LaChance and Matthew Fisher-Davis can really shoot it.

i

17. Cincinnati Bearcats
The Bearcats still defend and rebound, and the Fighting Mick Cronins have wins over Nebraska and George Washington. With games against Xavier, Iowa State and VCU before Christmas, Cincinnati can prove its worth in The Bilas Index.

i

18. Baylor Bears
Baylor pounded Stephen F. Austin before losing to Oregon on the road. Other than that, the Bears have not seen a team that will sniff the top 250. With games against Vanderbilt and Texas A&M before Big 12 play, Baylor can prove it is more than a great offensive rebounding team. Taurean Prince has yet to play to his capabilities, which is scary.

i

19. Miami Hurricanes
The Hurricanes can really score, and have terrific guards. Tonye Jekiri has developed into one of the nation's best big men, but it is inexplicable how Miami can slap Utah and Butler silly, then turn around and get clipped by Northeastern. Still, Miami is legit.

i

20. Iowa State Cyclones
Different captain, same crew on this ship. Iowa State can score, but the Cyclones have to do a better job getting to the foul line and keeping opponents off of the offensive glass.

i

21. Louisville Cardinals
Louisville can really defend, and the Cardinals are one of the top offensive rebounding teams in the nation.

i

22. Connecticut Huskies
The Huskies have excellent guards and shot-blocking in the paint. But ... offensive execution in half-court situations has to improve. The best teams will limit UConn in transition. Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller, two fifth-year transfers, have made a big difference.

i

22. SMU Mustangs
The Bilastrator could give in to the policies of the NCAA and treat SMU like its games didn't matter. But, the Mustangs do matter. SMU has older players and very good talent. This would be an NCAA Tournament team, absent the sanctions. SMU will be in The Bilas Index for the remainder of the season.

i

24. Arizona Wildcats
The Wildcats are totally different than a year ago, and are still trying to figure it out. Still, by the end of the season, Arizona will be right there. Shooting and taking care of the ball have to improve.

i

25. Oregon Ducks
The Ducks have beaten two Bilas Index teams, Baylor and Valparaiso, and are ranked in the top 30 in the country in both offensive and defensive efficiency. Perimeter shooting has been spotty, with only Tyler Dorsey and Dwayne Benjamin being consistent 3-point threats.

i

26. Butler Bulldogs
The Bulldogs are solid on offense, with terrific shooting and offensive rebounding, but still trying to figure out the defensive end. Butler has always been a physical defensive team, and will have to defend a bit differently going forward. But, this is still an NCAA tournament team. Chris Holtmann does a great job.

i

27. Utah Utes
The Utes are good, and very solid, but seem to be missing some offensive punch. Jakob Poeltl is getting better by the day, and will be an NBA lottery pick. But Utah's defense and rebounding need to improve.

i

28. Wisconsin Badgers
Many speak of the Wisconsin roster as if Bo Ryan and his staff didn't know how many seniors they had last season. They did. Those behind the senior studs just aren't as good, and the guard corps is thin. Wisconsin does not defend the perimeter well, and there are not more than three legit weapons on offense. Still, Wisconsin has the opportunity to get better, but has a long way to go. Ethan Happ is very good, and improving.

i

29. Providence Friars
Kris Dunn is the best point guard in the country. He is long, athletic and impacts the game at both ends. Providence has more than just Dunn, but Dunn is spectacular. Rodney Bullock and Ben Bentil can both put up numbers and are a terrific supporting cast.

i

30. Dayton Flyers
Even without Dyshawn Pierre, Dayton has a good team. The Flyers are very solid defensively but need to be more sure-handed with the ball. Too many turnovers. Losing to Xavier is not a bad loss. Xavier is really, really good.