Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Treadwell vs. Hargreaves among this weekend's best one-on-one matchups

College coaches are looking for ways to either avoid or exploit these matchups, and NFL talent evaluators can't wait to watch future pros go head-to-head on the biggest stages.

So no matter what lens you're looking through, these are some of the premier matchups in many of the top college football games this Saturday.

Note: Underclassmen are marked with an asterisk.

WR Laquon Treadwell vs. CB Vernon Hargreaves III
Ole Miss Rebels at Florida Gators (7 p.m. ET, ESPN)

Treadwell has recovered nicely from a gruesome leg injury last season, averaging 83 receiving yards per game to start the 2015 campaign. He's one of the top wide receivers in the 2016 draft class due to his elite length and timing. He'll have the height advantage against Hargreaves -- 6-foot-2 vs. 5-foot-11 -- but the Florida cornerback has the skills to stick with him step-for-step. My No. 3 overall player, Hargreaves already has two interceptions on the season. This battle could come down to whether Hargreaves can throw off Treadwell's timing by playing bump-and-run at the line.

RB Nick Chubb vs. ILB Reggie Ragland
Alabama Crimson Tide at Georgia Bulldogs (3:30 p.m. ET, CBS)

Chubb comes into this game averaging 8.44 yards per carry, the best mark in the FBS among players with at least 55 carries. He's been somewhat overshadowed by Leonard Fournette's brilliance, but make no mistake: This kid is the real deal. The question now is whether Chubb, a true sophomore, will have enough running lanes against an Alabama defense that prides itself on stopping the run (1.97 ypc allowed, third in the FBS). Ragland -- who's one of two top-20 prospects along the Tide's front seven (DT A'Shawn Robinson is the other) -- has outstanding sideline-to-sideline speed. I can't wait to watch the Tide front seven against Chubb and his strong run-blocking offensive line.

WR Will Fuller vs. CB Mackensie Alexander
OT Ronnie Stanley vs. DE Shaq Lawson

Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Clemson Tigers (8 p.m. ET, ABC)

Fuller is a big play waiting to happen, as evidenced by his 20.6 yards-per-catch average, best in the FBS among players with at least 20 catches this season. He has converted those big plays into six touchdowns for the Irish, thanks to some savvy route running. But don't sleep on Alexander or the Tigers' secondary. Clemson has allowed an opponent-adjusted Total QBR of just 31.3, the eighth-best mark in college football. And while Alexander hasn't gotten his hands on any interceptions yet this season, he has the athleticism to stick with Fuller -- and his 5-foot-11 frame won't be an issue against the 6-foot wide receiver.

Stanley, my No. 6 overall prospect, is the complete package. He leads the way in the Irish's run game, which gains 6.74 yards per carry (sixth in the country), and does not get beat often one-on-one in pass protection. Stanley will get a great test against the 6-foot-3, 270-pound Lawson, who's Clemson's best edge rusher. He leads the Tigers with five tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks in three games, and will have the crowd in Death Valley helping him get a jump against Stanley.

WR Josh Doctson vs. CB Duke Thomas
Texas Longhorns at TCU Horned Frogs (12 p.m. ET, ABC)

Doctson's stats from last weekend's win against Texas Tech were so good they almost don't look real (18 catches, 267 yards and 3 TDs). He shows natural hand-eye coordination and confidence catching the ball away from his frame. Doctson is the single most dangerous player on TCU's offense, and you can bet he'll have Texas' full attention. Meanwhile, Thomas is the Longhorns' best man-to-man corner, but he's only 5-foot-11, 178 pounds and struggles to play the ball at times. Texas typically gives too much cushion in coverage and has a lot of breakdowns in zone coverage. This could be another huge game for Doctson.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
@954UAlreadyknow do you have the new article, '10 Toughest Players To Cover' or something of that nature. It's an NFL article
Two NFL safeties rank the 10 toughest players to cover

NFL receivers would you least want to cover one-on-one? We posed that question to Matt Bowen and Louis Riddikk -- two former NFL defensive backs and current ESPN Insiders.

Here's their breakdown of the league's 10 biggest matchup nightmares.

1. Antonio Brown, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers
Mike Wallace left Pittsburgh and Brown took over the No. 1 receiver role, he has 37 more catches and 265 more yards than the next-best receiver.

2. Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons
Calvin Johnson with even more overall ability.

Riddikk: As far as physical skills go, Julio is the standard among pass-catchers when you talk about height, weight, speed, strength and body control. Jones is strong enough to throw you out of the way when you press him, and fast enough to speed release and simply outrun you within the pattern stem. Making matters worse for DBs, he's also dangerous on short WR screens, slants and hitches because of his run-after-catch ability. As far as deep threats go, he is the best in the business with his elite top-end speed and ball-tracking skills. Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has moved him around a ton this season, making Julio virtually unstoppable.

Add it up: Since 2013, Jones is averaging 110.5 receiving yards per game, the highest mark in the league among qualified receivers. Over that span, he's been held under 50 yards in a game just one time -- last Sunday against the Texans.

3. Dez Bryant, WR, Dallas Cowboys
Rob Gronkowski, TE, New England Patriots[/paste:font]Tom Brady are clicking, it's like trying to guard LeBron James in a football uniform.

Add it up: Since coming into the league in 2010, Gronkowski is averaging 0.85 receiving touchdowns per game. That's 15 percent more than the next-best player (Dez Bryant).

5. Odell Beckham Jr., WR, New York Giants
Demaryius Thomas, WR, Denver Broncos[/paste:font]Peyton Manning and a skill set built on strong hands and superior jump-ball ability, Thomas has become a production machine.

Add it up: Over the past three-plus seasons, Thomas has gained 41 percent of his receiving yards after the catch, the highest rate for any player with at least 3,100 yards since 2012.

7. A.J. Green, WR, Cincinnati Bengals
Jordy Nelson, WR, Green Bay Packers[/paste:font]Aaron Rodgers with Nelson's ability to locate the ball? You don't stand a chance. How about the deep double-move versus a Cover 2 safety? Yeah, we've seen how that works out for the defense. And how many times does Nelson win on the comeback or curl? This guy can beat you in so many ways.

Riddikk: Jordy is so smooth as a route runner. He's able to get in and out of breaks with efficient movement and is the league's best WR at catching the ball along the sideline. He has an instinctive feel for how to separate from man coverage and find open pockets against zone. Nelson's deep-ball tracking skills are as good as any. Combine that with underappreciated top-end speed and it's easy to see why he and Rodgers have combined for so many big plays.

Add it up: From 2011-14, Nelson caught 59 percent of deep passes thrown his way (20 yards or more downfield). That was best in the league for receivers with at least 35 targets and miles ahead of the league average (37.8 percent).

9. T.Y. Hilton, WR, Indianapolis Colts
DeSean Jackson.

10. Jimmy Graham, TE, Seattle Seahawks
At 6-foot-7, Jimmy Graham is a headache for DBs in the red zone. Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images
Bowen: Graham is 6-foot-7 and weighs 265 pounds. Who can match up with that? It's like trying to cover a small forward on the football field -- Graham makes catching a fade route look as simple as grabbing a rebound on the low block. He's a natural at catching the ball at its highest point, which is a troubling proposition for much smaller defensive backs who have to play the ball on the way down. Graham isn't the most physical player on the field, but that doesn't matter when he is in a one-on-one situation. Throw it up and let him go get it.

Riddikk: Graham catches defenders off guard with his fluid running style and ability to make things look so easy. He's especially a headache for DBs in the red zone, where he can use his height to outjump smaller defenders. While I don't always respect his effort and body language, I do recognize the fact that I wouldn't want to find myself isolated against in a one-on-one situation without help. Graham has proven to be hard to contain when you make it a point to target him throughout the course of a game.

Add it up: Since 2012, Graham leads the league with 28 red zone touchdowns. In fact, 43 percent of his targets inside the 20 have gone for scores over that span.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Coaches Roundtable: Who has the hardest job this season?

Among the three of them, Seth Greenberg, Fran Fraschilla and Dan Dakich have more than 40 years of head-coaching experience at the Division I level. Each week, they get together to discuss the hottest topics in college basketball.

1. Which college basketball coach has the toughest job this season?

ncb_sethgreenberg_ms_1_r7503_130x180_smallmug.jpg

Greenberg: I'm going to go way outside the box. I think Steve Prohm at Iowa State has the toughest job in college basketball because of who he's following and the expectations that come with that. Iowa State is 99-40 over the last four years. He's replacing an icon and a person who's revered (former ISU and current Chicago Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg). You don't get the nickname "The Mayor" unless people look up to you, and Fred delivered. Prohm is getting a team with an All-American in Georges Niang, a guy who has a 5-to-1 assist to turnover ratio in Monte Morris, a great blend guy inNazareth Mitrou-Long not to mention rim protector Jameel McKay and forwardAbdel Nader. People expect that team to go to the Final Four. It's a great job, but the pressure that comes with it, and the pressure to maintain it, is great. You've got to recruit and keep the program at the level that Fred established. For a new coach, that's one of the toughest jobs in the country.

ncb_franfraschilla_ms_1_r7502_130x180_smallmug.jpg

Fraschilla: Expectation is the key word. That's what puts pressure on coaches, and UNLV's Dave Rice has tremendous pressure this year. He continues to have great recruiting classes. He had another one this year with Stephen Zimmerman, a top-15 player. Derrick Jones, a freshman from Philadelphia, is arguably the highest-jumping dude in college basketball. He'll be on SportsCenter on more than one occasion. But because of the high expectations that have always been at UNLV, those fans expect Final Fours. Rice is a former UNLV player who was the people's choice. He's a terrific guy and obviously a great recruiter. There's enormous pressure on him to deliver this year after UNLV missed the NCAA tournament the last two years. We'll see if he can deliver a quality team, because the talent is there. Chemistry will be key.

ncb_dandakich_ms_1_r7499_130x180_smallmug.jpg

Dakich: I have a completely different perspective. The guy at Iowa State can lose, but he's going to make millions. I don't think there's real pressure on any of these guys. Whoever is picked last in a mid-major or low-major league, to me, has the toughest job in college basketball. If you lose, you're going to lose your job. I think there are three kinds of coaches in college basketball. If Dave Rice loses, he still is going to have a lot of money. I started making $75,000 in the MAC. If you lose in a conference like that, you have to go find another job. I don't buy that any of these guys you mentioned is under real pressure.

2. Fifth-year, graduate transfers are becoming more prevalent in college hoops, and there are plenty this season. Which one will make the biggest impact?

Dylan Ennis at Oregon is the most important. People there say he's playing great. He has the opportunity to step right in for second-round NBA draft pick Joe Young. It's a style of play that fits Ennis. I wouldn't say he was held back at Villanova, because he averaged 10 points per game, but Nova has three or four point guards now. He would have been in a difficult situation. So he walks right into Oregon for Dana Altman. They have a Canadian connection with Dillon Brooks and now Ennis. I expect him to be an All-Pac-12 player, in part because of playing time but also because of Dana's free, open style of play. Ennis is the perfect fit for a school that needed his strengths.

Dakich: A lot of it has to do with opportunity. I like Ennis, but another guy who fits well is Johnny Hill at Purdue. He's going to get plenty of opportunities playing with all those big guys. All he has to do is play really hard. I would anticipate him making a big impact on a really good team.

Greenberg: Louisville's Damion Lee is going to have to score buckets. They lost Montrezl Harrell, Chris Jones, Terry Rozier -- someone has to score, and we know Rick Pitino will free up his guards. So Lee will probably have the best stats in terms of numbers. He'll probably play 36 minutes per game.

But, as a piece to a team, UConn's Shonn Miller can make a huge jump. He's a good rebounder and he's a good passer. He'll fit in with the rest of that team. Just as Fran and Dan said, it's all about fit and opportunity, and Miller brings a skill set that UConn desperately needs to be an elite team. He'll make a big difference.

3. Who is college basketball's purest shooter?

Kyle Wiltjer. When I watched him last year, he can really shoot it. With some guys, you're shocked when they miss; with some, you expect a make; and with others, you don't want them to shoot. Every time he shoots, I expect it to go in.

Fraschilla: I want to throw A.J. English some love at Iona. He not only shoots well but also shoots at a high volume. But I'm going to go with Bryce Alford at UCLA. He's in the Pac-12, a good league, and everyone knows that's a big part of his game. He's guarded closely and still makes almost 40 percent of his 3s. He has some of his dad's confidence (that would be former Indiana guard and current UCLA coach Steve Alford). I never think he's worried about taking a big shot. I would be very comfortable with him taking a last-second 3.

Greenberg: Those are two great choices. Vanderbilt is probably the best shooting team in the country. They have four guys who can shoot 40 percent from 3. But if I had to pick one guy, I think it's Bryn Forbes at Michigan State. Tom Izzo says he's shocked when that guy misses. Forbes and Denzel Valentineplayed together in high school. When you're connected with a guy who has the ball in his hands a lot, you're going to have open shots. Forbes is a fifth-year senior who has been through it, and I think he's a world-class shooter.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Philadelphia 76ers: 2015-16 Forecast
1h - NBA PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
i
Play1:12

No. 15: Philadelphia 76ers
Last Season: 18-64
14th place in East; missed playoffs

More than two years after hiring Sam Hinkie as GM and president of basketball operations and beginning a rebuilding effort unlike any seen before in NBA history, the Philadelphia 76ers remain in asset-accumulation mode.

The Sixers took a modest step forward during 2014-15, finding a useful starter near the minimum salary in forward Robert Covington and becoming competitive defensively. Still, a setback for 2014 No. 3 pick Joel Embiid and the decision to take another center (Duke's Jahlil Okafor) with this year's third pick means Philadelphia still appears to be at least another year away from moving up the standings.

20142015recap.png

Unlike 2013-14, when the 76ers unexpectedly started 3-0, last season's team struggled from the start. Philadelphia lost its first 17 games, coming within a game of matching the 2009-10 Nets for the worst start in NBA history, before beating the Minnesota Timberwolves on Dec. 3.

The Sixers slowly made progress as rookie center Nerlens Noel became more comfortable coming back from a torn ACL. Noel's presence was the biggest reason Philadelphia improved from 27th to 13th in defensive rating. However, the Sixers' offense actually got worse. Relative to league average, Philadelphia had the third-lowest offensive rating since the ABA-NBA merger.

Houston Rockets at the end of training camp. Covington averaged 17.4 points per 36 minutes and made a team-high 167 3-pointers.

As Noel established himself as a cornerstone, the 76ers' other 2013 lottery pick was on the move. At the trade deadline, Hinkie sent 2013-14 Rookie of the YearMichael Carter-Williams to the Milwaukee Bucks as part of a three-team deal that landed Philadelphia a protected pick originally belonging to the Los Angeles Lakers.

rostermoves.png
Miami Heat. Alas, both the Lakers and Heat kept their protected picks and the Sixers settled for just the No. 3 overall pick. Philadelphia might have been able to replace Carter-Williams at point guard had Ohio State's D'Angelo Russell been on the board, but after the Lakers took Russell second, the Sixers went for the best available player in Okafor -- the third consecutive year they've drafted a center in the lottery.

Pelton: 2015-16 76ers player profiles
Check out our player scouting reports and 2015-16 projections for the 76ers.

Unfortunately, Embiid's troublesome navicular bone helped clear up the logjam. After he spent his first NBA season rehabbing and working out individually, a spring reevaluation revealed insufficient healing and Embiid underwent another surgery on his right foot over the summer. He's expected to miss the entire 2015-16 season.

Again, Philadelphia largely eschewed veteran free agents in favor of using its cap space to take on salary from other teams. The 76ers found a seller in theSacramento Kings, taking on the contracts of forwards Carl Landry and Jason Thompson (subsequently swapped to the Golden State Warriors for the expiring contract of Gerald Wallace) to get 2014 lottery pick Nik Stauskas, the right to swap picks each of the next two years, and a future first-round pick that could be unprotected in 2019.

fromthelockerroom.png
Isaiah Canaan, PG: -2.6
Hollis Thompson, SG: -2.7
Robert Covington, SF: +2.6
Nerlens Noel, PF: -1.4
Jahlil Okafor, C: N/A

Scouting reports on every player on the 76ers

sixers.png

Using shot data from 2014-15 and projected starters, Grantland's Kirk Goldsberry ranks each team's offensive efficiency based on square footage.

1. The Sixers weren't good at putting the ball in the basket from anywhere last season. But they shot an impossibly poor 37 percent from 14 feet and in last season. Jahlil Okafor, who projects to shoot 52.1 percent, couldn't come at a better time.

2. Don't ever say GM Sam Hinkie doesn't have a plan. Philly took a remarkable 75 percent of its shots from either five and in or 20 feet and out. Computers!
All About The Space: 30th (242 square feet of above-average offense)

To identify players who stretch offenses the most, ESPN Stats & Information created the Kyle Korver Effect -- a metric on a 1-100 scale, factoring in 3PT%, 3-point attempt rate (percentage of total shots that come from 3-point range) and influence on teammate FG%.

Korver Effect: Though the Sixers ranked 30th in offense last season, Hollis Thompson (89.2) was a relative bright spot, shooting 40.1 percent from 3. Thompson (who projects to shoot a team-high 38.3% from 3 this year) will lead an outside attack that SCHOENE predicts to rank 23rd, at 34 percent.

outlook_76ers.png

Just twice since the merger have franchises gone three years in a row without winning at least a quarter of their games: the 1996-97 through 1998-99 Vancouver Grizzlies and 1997-98 through 1999-00 Los Angeles Clippers. Philadelphia could join that group this season.

Still, there's reason for long-term hope in the City of Brotherly Love. The Sixers could have as many as four first-round picks next June and will get the Lakers' pick unless it lands in the top three. Forward Dario Saric, a 2014 lottery pick, has maintained he'll join Philadelphia next summer, and the hope is Embiid will be healthy for the 2016-17 season.

With so much talent on the way, this season is important for the players currently on the 76ers' roster to establish they're part of the team's core. As evidenced by the Carter-Williams trade, Hinkie has shown a willingness to move quickly when he senses the opportunity to get value, so even top-10 picks like Noel and Okafor must prove they belong and can play together. Their development remains more important than wins and losses for Philadelphia in 2015-16.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Minnesota Timberwolves: 2015-16 forecast
1h - NBA MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
i
Play1:15

No. 15: Minnesota Timberwolves
Last Season: 16-66
15th place in West; missed playoffs

Even after trading Kevin Love, the Minnesota Timberwolves entered the previous season hoping to compete for a playoff berth. Injuries scuttled that hope and sent Minnesota into a rebuilding process, ready or not.

A painful 16-66 campaign had a happy ending. The Timberwolves became the first team since the Orlando Magic in 2004 to win the lottery with the league's worst record. Minnesota drafted Kentucky's Karl-Anthony Towns No. 1 overall, and the combination of Towns and 2014 top pick Andrew Wiggins gives the Timberwolves a pair of potential superstars as a foundation.

20142015recap.png

Last summer's trade to send Love to Cleveland left Minnesota with two different teams: the veteran core built to contend for a playoff spot and a group of talented but unproven young players. With newcomer Thaddeus Youngreplacing Love, the Timberwolves expected to remain competitive. Injuries had other plans. Minnesota's expected starting lineup -- Young, Wiggins, Kevin Martin, Nikola Pekovic and Ricky Rubio -- started just three games before Rubio went down with a severely sprained ankle that kept him out through the end of January. Martin (fractured wrist) and Pekovic (sprained wrist) also missed most of the season's first three months.

Without those three, the Timberwolves started the season 5-31, which led coach and president of basketball operations Flip Saunders to begin dealing away older players. Corey Brewer went to the Houston Rockets, and at the deadline, Minnesota sent Young to the Brooklyn Nets to bring Kevin Garnett home to finish his career with the Timberwolves. Minnesota finished the season with six players on the sideline and lost the second-most games (335) and most minutes (8,000-plus) to injury of any NBA team.

The injuries and trades gave unexpected opportunities to young players. After a slow start, Wiggins came on to emerge as the team's leading scorer and win Rookie of the Year honors. The Wolves threw their other first-round pick, Zach LaVine, into the lineup ahead of schedule and saw him improve late in the season. Before succumbing to season-ending hand surgery, second-year forwardShabazz Muhammad improved dramatically.

rostermoves.png
Jahlil Okafor, the Timberwolves decided on Towns, the consensus top player available. They also traded a pair of second-round picks to take Duke point guard Tyus Jones, a Twin Cities native, with the 24th pick.

Pelton: 2015-16 Wolves player profiles
Check out our player scouting reports and 2015-16 projections for the Timberwolves.

The rest of Minnesota's summer was quiet. The Timberwolves re-signed Garnett to a two-year, $16 million deal that will take him through retirement. Their other big move was signing 2014-15 Euroleague MVPNemanja Bjelica, whose rights the team has held since he was drafted in the second round in 2010, to a three-year contract worth $11.7 million. Minnesota also swapped Chase Budinger for Damjan Rudez in a money-saving deal and added veteran leadership by signing point guard Andre Miller and small forward Tayshaun Prince.

Given the Timberwolves' long history of injury problems -- dating back to 2009-10, their players have missed more games and minutes due to injury than any other NBA team -- perhaps Minnesota's most important offseason addition was long-time Detroit Pistons physical therapist Arnie Kander, who is known for his innovative treatments. Since 2009-10, the Pistons were among the 10 teams that lost the fewest games and minutes to injury.

The Timberwolves' biggest health concern entering camp is far more serious than a torn ligament or broken bone. Saunders began treatment for cancer of the immune system over the summer and was hospitalized in September after a setback. Assistant coach Sam Mitchell, the 2006-07 Coach of the Year with theToronto Raptors, will begin the season as interim head coach.

fromthelockerroom.png
Ricky Rubio, PG: +6.3
Zach LaVine, SG: -6.0
Andrew Wiggins, SF: +1.9
Kevin Garnett, PF: +0.3
Karl-Anthony Towns, C: N/A

Scouting reports on every player on the Timberwolves

wolves.png

Using shot data from 2014-15 and projected starters, Grantland's Kirk Goldsberry ranks each team's offensive efficiency based on square footage.

1. Though the team projects to shoot a solid 35 percent from 3 this season, three Minnesota starters project to hit on 32 percent or worse.

2. No. 1 overall pick Karl-Anthony Towns projects to shoot almost 50 percent on two-point shots this season, which will help a Wolves' offense that ranked 27th from two in 2015.
All About That Space: 27th (357 square feet of above-average offense)

To identify players who stretch offenses the most, ESPN Stats & Information created the Kyle Korver Effect -- a metric on a 1-100 scale, factoring in 3PT%, 3-point attempt rate (percentage of total shots that come from 3-point range) and influence on teammate FG%.

Korver Effect: Though Kevin Martin projects to shoot a team-high 39.2 percent from 3, his below-average Kyle Korver Effect (42.4) is due to his teammates' effective field goal percentage dropping when he's on the court.

outlook_wolves.png

By virtue of the addition of Towns, the growth of the young players on the roster and inevitable better health from the veterans, the Timberwolves figure to be more competitive in 2015-16. Minnesota might be able to climb out of the Western Conference cellar, but we're still at least a year -- most likely two -- from Minnesota contending for the postseason.

In Towns and Wiggins, the Timberwolves have two pieces of their eventual starting five. This season will be crucial for evaluating where players such as Rubio, Jones, LaVine, Muhammad and third-year center Gorgui Dieng fit into the mix. Although the summer was quiet, the next 12 months might bring more action to solidify the core of the next great Timberwolves team.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Rawster

Relax Baby
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
La Perla
I know who you are breh. You spam too much that's why you got banned the last time.

Like I told you the last time in a pm...I never intended on posting articles everyday or even every other day.

between his join date and him not switching up his posting style.. I'm :dead: