Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Who's next? Class of '16 standouts and the departing stars they'll replace

College basketball recruiting is in high gear. Campus visits are in full swing and verbal commitments are being made almost daily, with the early signing period on the horizon for the 2016 class. Let's take a look at five programs where prominent members of the ESPN 100 will be replacing stars when they take the court for the 2016-17 college basketball season:
150.gif

1. Jayson Tatum, Duke Blue Devils (No. 2 in ESPN 100, SF, 6-8, 190, Chaminade College Prep/St. Louis, MO)

Who he'll replace: Brandon Ingram

Ingram could be the third one-and-done wing for the Blue Devils in three seasons, following Jabari Parker and Justise Winslow. Tatum could end up playing with Ingram, but if Ingram makes the jump to the NBA after a great freshman -- which he is more than capable of producing thanks to his length, skill, athleticism and terrific upside -- Tatum would flawlessly slide right into the small forward position and be extremely productive. Tatum has size, basketball IQ and an off-the-charts mid-range game that allows him to score from a variety of areas inside the arc and makes him a major matchup problem.

2250.gif

2. Zach Collins, Gonzaga Bulldogs (No. 38 in ESPN 100, C, 6-10, 220, Bishop Gorman/Las Vegas, NV)

Who he'll replace: Kyle Wiltjer

The Kentucky transfer Wiltjer stretches the defense with his ability to shoot with range from beyond the arc, and has a post move package complete with shot fakes and the ability to pass out of the double-team. Collins is cut from the same cloth. He can score in the post over smaller defenders but is quick to face up off the block for the short jumper and can knock down the three-pointer in pick-and-pop situations from almost anywhere on the court. Collins has the potential to be a hand-in-glove replacement fit.

201.gif

3. Kameron McGusty, Oklahoma Sooners (No. 39 in ESPN 100 (SG, 6-5, 195, Seven Lakes/Katy, TX)

Who he'll replace: Buddy Hield

Hield can simply get it going on the offensive end of the floor, putting up big numbers in a short period of time and making back-breaking shots. McGusty is a different type of player, but also has tremendous playmaking ability with the ball in his hands. He doesn't shoot it like Heild, but excels in transition and can score and deliver the ball to an open teammate when he draws a second defender.

52.gif

4. Jonathan Isaac (No. 12 in ESPN 100, SF, 6-9, 190, IMG Academy/Naples, FL) and Trent Forrest (No. 37 in ESPN 100, PG, 6-4, 185, Chipley/Chipley, FL), Florida State Seminoles

Who they'll replace: Dwayne Bacon and Xavier Rathan-Mayes

The freshman Bacon has the size, offensive skill package and potential to be one-and-done if he has a great season. Rathan-Mayes is a big-time scorer with the ability to make the jump after his sophomore campaign. If that's the case, the Seminoles will have a chance to reload with Isaac and Forrest.

Though Bacon and Isaac would form a tremendous wing tandem should the former stick around, Isaac would be a great replacement in the scoring department thanks to his length and ability to make shots from a variety of areas on the floor -- including three point range -- and the ability to simply shoot over smaller defenders with ease. Forrest is not the scorer of Rathan-Mayes, but would provide Leonard Hamilton with a dependable ball handler, passer and multiple-position defender who can also make scoring plays off the bounce. Forrest has excellent size and good athleticism as well and the ability to run the offense.

127.gif

5. Josh Langford, Michigan State Spartans (No. 13 in ESPN 100, 6-6, 200, Madison Academy/Huntsville, AL)

Who he'll replace: Denzel Valentine

Valentine is a stat sheet stuffer for the Spartans with his scoring, passing, rebounding, defensive versatility and timely shot-making. Langford has all the tools to be productive in the same way. He is a strong and physical guard who can score, pass, rebound and defend multiple positions on the perimeter. Langford is an especially tough matchup because he can post smaller defenders and also attack them off the dribble.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Which East teams will be better than their Summer Forecast?

ESPN.com's annual Summer Forecast always is one of the most important season-specific bookmarks in the NBA area of my browser. It's only August, and here in the Midwest, all you have to do is poke your head outside during the afternoon to be reminded that the NBA season is still a ways off -- two months and 10 days, to be exact. Yet the summer forecasts are something I will refer to again and again over the next nine months.

Whether or not the predictions prove accurate doesn't matter. What's important is that we establish each team's reasonable expectations for the coming season, and these baselines will inform our work from here on out.

I invariably disagree with some of the outcomes from the summer voting. Sometimes I look at the results and think we've contracted some form of collective madness, like from the Star Trek episode "The Naked Now" when Spock weeps. These disagreements are a matter of degree. It's not like I harbor a secret belief that the Sixers will win the championship. With that in mind, let's consider how the collective East forecasts align with those of my own.

More or less agree
Teams projected to finish within three wins of their summer forecast.

Atlanta Hawks | 50 wins

i

There seems to be an understandable feeling that the Hawks will regress from their monumental 60-win season in 2014-15, especially with starter DeMarre Carroll departing for Toronto. The 50-win summer forecast might seem like a steep descent. After all, as good as Carroll might be, he's not worth 10 wins, and Atlanta did add Tiago Splitter and Tim Hardaway Jr. during the summer. Yet the forecast and my system agree that while Atlanta remains a force, last season was an outlier.

Boston Celtics | 40 wins

i

The Celtics' lack of an All-Star forecast for any one player hurts them in my system, but collectively Boston looks strong in terms of real Real Plus-Minus (RPM). A run at a winning season and a return to the playoffs seems reasonable.

Chicago Bulls | 50 wins

i

The Bulls project to return more than 98 percent of their minutes from last season, but zero percent of their head coach. Analytically, the Bulls project to decline a bit because of the collective age of their roster, but it's a mild regression. The summer forecast mostly sees a repeat of last season. The keys for improvement are two-fold: A full season of All-Star play from Derrick Rose, and a Steve Kerr-like splash from new coach Fred Hoiberg.

Cleveland Cavaliers | 59 wins

i

Whether you consider a projection system like mine, RPM or the summer forecast, the Cavs' baseline looks like 59-60 wins. That puts them on their own top tier in the East.

Miami Heat | 47 wins

i

My system is much more excited about the Heat than the RPM projection is. That suggests that while the parts look good on paper, their fit might be a challenge for Erik Spoelstra. Still, when you split the difference, you end up near where our summer forecasters think the Heat will finish.

New York Knicks | 25 wins

i

There will be plenty to write about this in the months to come, so for now I'll just be blunt -- no matter how you slice it, whether you use objective projections or summer voting, the Knicks' baseline win total is in the mid-20s. If you want to look at it optimistically, that would be an improvement over last season.

Orlando Magic | 30 wins

i

If we were to attach a "breakout score" to the summer balloting process, I suspect the Magic would rate well. Their forecast for 28-30 wins might not stir a lot of hearts, but subjectively speaking I do think Orlando is a team to watch.

Better than forecast
Teams projected to finish more than three wins above their summer forecast.

Charlotte Hornets | 35 wins

i

I actually have the Hornets performing seven wins better than their summer forecast for 35 victories, and my projection is almost exactly what you'd derive from RPM. I'm confident that our voters are underselling Charlotte, though it's not like the numbers peg the Hornets as a title contender. This is a team with identifiable strengths: the lowest projected turnover rate in the league, the highest defensive rebound rate, a legitimate 10-man rotation devoid of gaping holes and a solid coach in Steve Clifford.

Detroit Pistons | 35 wins

i

I'm wary, because my system has had an optimistic blind spot for the Pistons the last couple of years. RPM likes Detroit better than the forecast, but not as much as my system. Defensive improvement is the real key, and Stan Van Gundy's track record points to that happening now that he's had a year to shape the roster to his liking. My big concern is that the Pistons end up as a jump shooting team that doesn't actually shoot that well, and when they get to the line, they also miss those.

Indiana Pacers | 39 wins

i

If Paul George plays at his pre-injury level, I feel pretty good about my system's over-.500 forecast for Indiana. RPM likes them, too. I do worry that Indiana's fairly optimistic defensive projection is a residual from the old roster. Still, Frank Vogel is one of the best defensive coaches in the game, so that's a fleeting concern at most.

Toronto Raptors | 44 wins

i

Last season ended on a down note, but the Raptors have won 97 games over the last two seasons. They rank in the middle of the pack in collective age and have added key role players like Carroll, Luis Scola, Cory Joseph and Bismack Biyombo. Rookie Delon Wright has one of the best projections among first-year players, and there could be jolts from the development of Lucas Nogueira and Bruno Caboclo. I just don't see how this roster goes from 49 wins to the 44 predicted by the forecast.

Worse than forecast

Teams projected to finish more than three wins below their summer forecast.

Milwaukee Bucks | 44 wins

i

Subjectively, I don't agree with my own projection system (40 wins) when it comes to the Bucks, but I can't ignore those results -- especially when RPM is even more pessimistic. The summer forecast for 44 wins is optimistic when considered in that light. But I suspect that the Bucks will look even better than either the numbers or the voters predict a year from now.

Philadelphia 76ers | 19 wins

i

The Sixers project to finish with the worst offense in the league, more than a full point less than any other team in the East. The defensive projection isn't great either, but beginning with Nerlens Noel, there is hope for Philly to build off of on that end. Still, this figures to be another long season for the Sixers.

Washington Wizards | 46 wins

i

I think there is a common perception of the Wizards as an up-and-coming team. A statistical breakout from Bradley Beal -- which could very well happen -- might make that perception a reality. Still, even if Otto Porter improves, it's a big step down from Paul Pierceat small forward, and the rest of the depth chart features a lot of players with RPMs well below zero.

Brooklyn Nets | 30 wins

i

I've heard plenty from Brooklyn fans already who think I'm way off in my assessment of the Nets as putrid. Unfortunately for them, the RPM-based projections are even more pessimistic than I am. The summer forecast is for 30 wins and for the Nets to get to that total, they'd have to outperform their analytical projections more than any team in the league. The Nets come in just above Philly's poor offensive forecast, ranking 29th in the league.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Top 10 offenses: Watch out for Indiana

Last April, Duke, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Michigan State met at the Final Four to settle the small matter of a national championship. Three of those teams (the Blue Devils, the Badgers and the Wildcats) ranked No. 1 in their respective conferences in terms of points scored per possession in league play, and by the time we got to the national title game between Mike Krzyzewski and Bo Ryan you could make a good case that the last survivors featured the two best offenses in the country.

I guess what I'm saying is offense is kind of important. Here are my early picks for the nation's top 10 offenses for 2015-16.

i

1. Indiana Hoosiers
Last season an Indiana offense led by James Blackmon, Yogi Ferrell and Troy Williams lit up the Big Ten to the tune of 1.11 points per possession. (And, yes, the conference turned right around and scored 1.11 points per trip against these very same Hoosiers. Youmay not be seeing Tom Crean's men listed among my top 10 defenses later this week.) All of the above players are back for 2015-16, along with Robert Johnson, Nick Zeisloft, Colin Hartman and freshman big man Thomas Bryant. Incredibly, IU has shot 40 percent or better on its 3s in league play in three of the past four seasons, and in 2014-15 the Hoosiers made the leap from "horrible" to "precisely average" in terms of turnovers. If Indiana's able to attain above-average success this season in terms of holding on to the rock, this offense can rival what fans saw in Bloomington during the Oladipo-Zeller days.

i

2. North Carolina Tar Heels
UNC was half a step behind the likes of Duke and Notre Dame on offense in the ACC last season, but the good news for fans in Chapel Hill is that Roy Williams is bringing more or less everyone (J.P. Tokoto notwithstanding) back for 2015-16. With Marcus Paigeonce again handling the point guard duties and Brice Johnson and Kennedy Meeks crashing the offensive glass, Carolina is poised for another season of decidedly interior-oriented excellence. Also note that between Johnson, Meeks and Justin Jackson, Williams has no fewer than three high-usage players 6-foot-8 or taller who connected on at least 54 percent of their 2s in 2014-15.

i

3. Kentucky Wildcats
Yes, I'm picking a team that returns zero starters to have one of the top three offenses in the nation. How John Calipari can you get, right? Here's my thinking: Tyler Ulis, Isaiah Briscoe, Jamal Murray, Alex Poythress, Marcus Lee and Skal Labissiere. That'll do. Stars come and go in Lexington, of course, but one thing that remains fairly constant with Calipari is offensive rebounding. In league play, UK's finished no worse than second in the SEC in offensive rebound percentage in three of the past four seasons. The Wildcats' ability to erase their misses gives the offense a high floor to start from, and if Ulis and company can sink some 3s and take care of the ball, this should be yet another highly efficient Kentucky attack.

i

4. Duke Blue Devils
Even when Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones and Quinn Cook have just walked out the door, I still wouldn't recommend betting against Mike Krzyzewski when it comes to offense. You've probably heard me trot this fact out before, but here goes: In every season since North Carolina won the national title in 2009, Duke has ranked No. 1 in the ACC in points scored per possession in league play. I'm guessing that this incredible streak may finally end in 2015-16 (see No. 2, above), but the Blue Devils will still be outstanding on offense. Brandon Ingram and Grayson Allen (both of whom are likely to be 2016 NBA first-round picks) will see to that.

i

5. Kansas Jayhawks
Feast your eyes on the veterans that Bill Self will have on hand this season: Perry Ellis, Wayne Selden, Frank Mason, Jamari Traylor, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, Brannen Greene and Devonte' Graham. Add in freshmen Carlton Bragg and, perhaps, Cheick Diallo (the NCAA is yet to declare Diallo eligible for this season), and you have a rotation that's eminently well qualified to carry out Self's two-points-and-a-cloud-of-dust philosophy. Ellis in particular could be primed for a star turn as KU's featured scorer.

i

6. Wichita State Shockers
In terms of how well both teams performed relative to their respective conference averages, Wichita State was just as successful at avoiding turnovers in league play last season as Wisconsin. That track record should continue through 2015-16, courtesy of Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker. A lack of giveaways plus Greg Marshall's somewhat heretical openness to going after offensive rebounds simply gives the Shockers more chances to score.

i

7. Wisconsin Badgers
Whether or not this turns out to be Bo Ryan's final season, the Badger head coach will have to work his customary magic on offense without the benefit of Frank Kaminsky and Sam Dekker (not to mention Josh Gasser, Traevon Jackson and Duje Dukan). No matter. Ryan's body of work in Madison suggests that an offense led by Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koenig can be pretty darn good in a cumulatively effective low-turnover kind of way.

i

8. Iowa State Cyclones
I don't often entrust first-year coaches with a slot on one of these top-10 lists. Then again Steve Prohm's bottom-line on offense at Murray State last season was excellent, and he'll have first-team All-Big 12 honoree Georges Niang on hand to anchor the attack in Ames. With Niang, Monte Morris, Jameel McKay and Naz Long, Prohm has enough talent at his disposal to give the fans in Hilton Coliseum another high-efficiency season.

i

9. Gonzaga Bulldogs
Kyle Wiltjer may be the single most effective high-volume offensive player in the nation, and he's joined along the Bulldog front line by the formidable likes of Przemek Karnowski and Damontas Sabonis. If Mark Few can get any (and I mean any) production from a backcourt that just lost Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell, the Zags could be much higher than No. 9 on this list by the end of the season.

i

10. Davidson Wildcats
Tyler Kalinoski was the Wildcats' leader in both minutes and points in 2014-15, and he said goodbye in March upon completing his senior season. Then again everyone else is back for Bob McKillop, and Davidson did tear through the Atlantic 10 at a rate of 1.17 points per possession. If recent history is any indication, Brian Sullivan and Jack Gibbs will launch -- and make -- a high number of 3s in 2015-16.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Projected loss of lotto picks dooms Knicks and Nets in 2016 draft

Kevin Pelton: Chad, most of the teams at the bottom of the projected conference standings in ESPN's Summer Forecast can at least look forward to getting a good draft pick for their trouble. Not so with the New York Knicks. Let's follow the bouncing draft pick.

The Knicks gave up swap rights on their 2016 first-round pick as the final piece of the Carmelo Anthony trade more than four years ago. That wouldn't necessarily be so bad, since the Denver Nuggets are also projected as one of the league's bottom five teams by the Forecast panel. While Denver wins by more than doubling its chances at a top-three pick, New York still would have been likely to land a top-10 pick ... except the Knicks subsequently sent that pick to the Toronto Raptors as part of the return for Andrea Bargnani.

That's right. For the privilege of paying the now-departed Bargnani $23 million for 2,100 minutes of replacement-level play, New York gave up what will most likely be a lottery pick -- and possibly a very good one (this was pre-Phil Jackson, of course). Looking ahead to the 2016 draft, how bad is this for the Knicks? How would the players projected in the lottery fit in New York?

Chad Ford: It's devastating. The Knicks really have two great pieces, each at radically different points in their careers. Anthony is in his prime and should be on the decline shortly. This year's lottery pick, Kristaps Porzingis, has enough talent to be the best player from the draft, but he's several years away from being able to help New York win. The Knicks went ahead and loaded up on veterans this summer -- none good enough to get them out of the lottery. In fact, I agree with our forecast assessment that New York should be the second-worst team in the East ahead of only the Philadelphia 76ers.

That means the Knicks are likely going to miss out on one of three elite talents in this draft -- LSU's Ben Simmons, Kentucky's Skal Labissiere and Cal's Jaylen Brown. Of the three, Simmons is the one who looks like he could become a superstar -- a 6-foot-10 power point forward who evokes comparisons from scouts to both LeBron James and Magic Johnson. Labissiere and Brown are also very, very good. Labissiere is an athletic big man who can play both inside and out and is a terrific rim protector. Brown is a super-athletic wing who already has an NBA body. All three guys would give the Knicks a second elite building block and hope for the future. Instead, they'll get nothing. Given that we both believe that the Nuggets will also be near the bottom of the West, this is a major setback for the long-term future of the Knicks.

Pelton: OK, let's flip the perspective. What kind of player might make sense for a Toronto squad that should be adding a lottery pick to the core of a playoff team?

Ford: Well, it's tough to predict where the Raptors land after the lottery plays out. It will probably be a pick between No. 2 and No. 8. The draft gets a little weaker after Simmons, Labissiere and Brown are off the board, but there's talent there for sure. Kentucky point guard Jamal Murray might be the favorite. He's Canadian and has been dominant in international play. He's equally good passing the ball and scoring and has great size for his position at 6-5. Yes, Toronto just signed fellow Canadian Cory Joseph, and Kyle Lowry has three years left on his contract, but if Murray is the real deal both of those other guys are movable. Murray can also swing over to the 2.

There are other options. Duke's Brandon Ingram is a 6-10 small forward with a silky game. He's skinny, but he's got elite size and skill set for his position. San Diego State's Malik Pope is very similar to Ingram. Both are young and raw but have crazy potential. And don't count out Croatia's Dragan Bender, a 7-foot forward who might be this year's Porzingis. We all know that Masai Ujiri loves international guys. All four of those players are great choices, assuming they don't land Simmons, Labissierre or Brown. All are fits for Toronto, in my opinion.

One last question for you, Kevin. The Knicks aren't the only New York team in a bad spot. The Nets are also forecast to finish in the lottery, and they'll be sending their pick to the Celtics without any protection at all. We probably should give them some love too.

Pelton: In some ways, I think Brooklyn's lost pick might be more painful. Although the Nets at least got something out of their trade with Boston, New York is done giving up first-round picks after this season. Brooklyn still has a swap option with the Celtics in 2017 and is giving them a first-round pick outright again in 2018.

Making matters worse, I actually think the forecast panel has it wrong. I expect the Nets to be the weaker of the two teams in the Big Apple this season, meaning there's a good chance they send a top-five pick to Boston. How much can that jump start the Celtics' move from good to great?

Ford: I agree, long term it's worse. At least the Knicks have Porzingis and will have their first-round pick (barring doing something crazy) in 2017. The Nets don't really have one young building block on their roster -- though I do like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson -- and look like a lottery team. I had them finishing 13th, with only the Knicks and Sixers worse. That should give the Celtics a top-five pick.

For Boston, there's some good news and some bad news. The Celtics really wanted the top-five pick in this year's draft. That's why they offered three first-rounders, including this one, to the Charlotte Hornets on draft night in an attempt to get Justise Winslow. Winslow would be a top-two or top-three pick in 2016. This year, after Simmons is off the board, things get weaker. We'll see if Frank Kaminsky was really worth all of that to Charlotte.

But Boston will still be happy with a top-five pick in 2016, and as I pointed out, there will be talent -- especially at the small forward position, where the Celtics could use some help. I don't think the combination of Evan Turner, Jonas Jerebko, Jae Crowder and Perry Jones is the long-term answer (though I am excited to see what Brad Stevens could possibly get out of Jones). With Ingram, Pope and Bender all in that range, Boston should be able to land one of those guys. I could also see the Celtics giving a big man like Marquette's Henry Ellenson (who draws some comps to Kevin Love) or Utah's Jakob Poeltl some love. They have some young bigs, but I'm not sure any of them are the future.

Either way, this pick may be the most important piece in the Celtics' rebuilding model and could give them another cornerstone to build upon along with Marcus Smart.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Karl-Anthony Towns is the best rookie, but that won't win him ROY

ESPN's Summer Forecast series continues with the unveiling of the rookie of the year (ROY) rankings for the 2015-16 season. Trying to predict award winners is always a funny proposition, as there's a dissonance between who the voters think will win the award and who they think should win the award -- two radically different concepts. You can also throw in a sub-interpretation of "should," meaning which rookie will ultimately be the best player in the draft class.

I'll humor all constituencies and answer each question: who will win, who should win, and who will be the best player in class.

What makes a rookie of the year?
When looking at past results, there are predictable factors that seem to weigh more heavily in voter tendencies. Going back to the 2000-01 season, the ROY has generally been the player who was afforded the most freedom to learn through practical application (ESPN Insider David Thorpe often compares this to the "royal jelly" that queen bees receive to spur and sustain their development and nutrition). In essence, the winner of ROY usually benefits from three specific and highly related opportunities:

Opportunity to play: The ROY often leads his class in minutes per game, as his team will allow him every chance to learn through playing. This is also the reason why the ROY usually comes from a losing team; a team with nothing to play for is more likely to give a lion's share of minutes to a rookie. Since 2000-01, the ROY didn't lead his class in minutes played five times, with Amar'e Stoudemire being the most extreme example, playing more than 5 fewer minutes per game than Caron Butler. It's worth noting that in those five exceptions, only Kyrie Irving (2012) and Mike Miller (2001) failed to place in the top two of minutes played in their respective classes, and they were both third.

Opportunity to shoot: We are still an offense-minded community when it comes to recognition-based awards, and we are easily swayed by players who are given plenty of shots on the floor, regardless of whether they are efficient with those shots. As such, the ROY traditionally has been the class leader in field goal attempts per game, with only four exceptions since 2000-01. Again, Stoudemire lagging behind Butler by more than three shots per game is the most egregious example, while Miller was the only ROY not to place in the top two of attempts per game (again, he was third).

Opportunity to score: If you play a lot of minutes and have a green light to shoot, chances are you're going to score a lot more than everyone else (unless you're just not very good). Since this category is so strongly derived from the previous two, scoring is probably the strongest determinant of who gets recognized as rookie of the year. Since 2000-01, there have been only four exceptions, none of which was outpaced by more than 2.0 points per game. In fact, LeBron James (2003 ROY) missed out on the scoring lead to Carmelo Anthony by one-tenth of a point per game.

Over the past 15 classes, the three exceptions across the board in all three of these categories have been Miller over Kenyon Martin/Marc Jackson, Stoudemire over Butler, and Derrick Rose over O.J. Mayo (2009). What separated these three players? All three were on winning teams that made the playoffs, and in every case the scoring margins were close enough to reward the players contributing to a winning cause. Again, it's worth pointing out that those three players benefited from a scenario where their teams were good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to limit their opportunities to play, shoot and score.

Another, more recent development has been the shift of favor toward perimeter players. Since Stoudemire, only two true bigs have won ROY: Emeka Okafor (2005) and Blake Griffin (2011). With a decreasing emphasis on interior play, bigs are at a disadvantage, even when they're clearly the better prospect long term, as was the case when Damian Lillard (2013) bested Anthony Davis.

Who will win?
The final rankings in the forecast predictably were top-heavy, with all of the top-three draft picks making the top five:

1. Karl-Anthony Towns | 87 points
  2. Jahlil Okafor | 71 points
  3. Emmanuel Mudiay | 56 points
  4. D'Angelo Russell | 51 points
  5. Justise Winslow | 12 points
It's a fair bet to assume the higher the draft pick, the more likely he'll get the opportunities outlined above; after all, the highest picks are the most talented guys playing for the worst teams with the biggest incentive to feed them royal jelly. Additionally, Mudiay benefits from Denver's offseason trade of Ty Lawson, while Winslow hopes to capitalize on the prospect of being the top-10 pick most likely to play for a playoff team.

But going off the factors outlined above, I'd have to disagree with the order of the forecast's top five. While the Timberwolves won't make the playoffs, Towns will play on a roster with a considerable amount of young talent -- most notably, Andrew Wiggins, last year's ROY -- which will only siphon touches and shot attempts from what Towns could have received if he had gone to a worse situation. Additionally, in order to find a team that sported back-to-back ROY winners, you'd have to go all the way back to the 1970s (Bob McAdoo and Ernie DiGregorio in 1973 and 1974, respectively).

Russell is playing for a lottery team, as well. Unfortunately, his team doesn't know it, so he'll probably receive less royal jelly than many of his counterparts, as the Lakers play veterans ahead of him in a bid to make a playoff push. It probably doesn't help that the Lakers have a relatively soft start of the schedule, although nine of their first 15 games are on the road. His biggest hope would be to make a strong second-half push, after the Lakers come to grips with reality.

Winslow is probably the most ridiculous inclusion in the top five. There's a strong chance he'll be one of the leaders in DNP-CDs among lottery picks, unless the injury bug ravages the Heat again this season. Miami's roster is stacked, and the Heat have their eyes on a trip to the NBA Finals. Those things signal too light of a workload for Winslow to realistically compete for this award. In fact, I'd give both Mario Hezonja and Stanley Johnson better odds of winning.

That leaves us with Okafor and Mudiay as the clubhouse leaders for ROY. Both are the clear cornerstones of their respective franchises, and they are expected to get a lot of touches and shots and to lead their teams in scoring. However, Mudiay has the advantage over Okafor in two areas: First, he doesn't have to deal with another young teammate vying for minutes. Okafor and Nerlens Noel are incompatible on the floor, and even though Philly will probably play them simultaneously anyway -- it isn't as if the Sixers are losing sleep about the losses -- the fact that both players occupy similar areas of the floor offensively won't create the most conducive environment for Okafor to flex his offensive might. Second, as the primary ball handler, Mudiay has the luxury of basically calling his number as many times as he wants. Okafor must rely on Philly's subpar guard rotation to deliver him the ball in scoring position (or, really, at all), and that lack of control of his own destiny also creates a drag on his ROY chances.

Given all of that, here are my "Who will win ROY" rankings:

1. Emmanuel Mudiay
  2. Jahlil Okafor
  3. Karl-Anthony Towns
  4. D'Angelo Russell
  5. Stanley Johnson
Who should win?
This is as much of a no-brainer today as it was on June 25. Towns is by far the best prospect in the class, with a chance to be an impact player on both ends of the floor. Being around Kevin Garnett will accelerate his learning curve, and playing with unselfish players like Ricky Rubio and Andre Miller will ensure that he'll get better scoring opportunities than many of his counterparts. He might miss out on the recognition at the outset, but in time he'll join fellow No. 1 overall picks Dwight Howard and Anthony Davis as transformational big men who amazingly did not win ROY.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Do Not Draft List: Top QBs lead

Repeat after me: I will not draft a quarterback in Round 1. I will not draft a quarterba . . . . By this point, you know the drill. Each August, I write about the football players I will not be drafting -- a “Do Not Draft” list, if you will -- and the top quarterbacks show up on it. I have nothing against Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers or Indianapolis' Andrew Luck. They’re awesome in many ways. They probably will be top fantasy scorers again. But that’s not exactly the best way to approach things with early draft picks or auction dollars. There’s more to consider. And in the first and second round of ESPN standard scoring, 10-team drafts, I don’t consider them.

My annual “Do Not Draft” list certainly needs the appropriate context. We’re talking about value, but also positional depth and scarcity, and while Rodgers and Luck -- and who knows, perhaps Peyton Manning one more time -- are all kinds of spectacular, I still like to construct a fantasy roster loaded with the flex-eligible options, running backs and wide receivers, in the early rounds. Perhaps you’re not a fan of Dallas quarterback Tony Romo or the New York GiantsEli Manning, but I’m definitely on board with choosing them after Round 7, when I’ve already secured a strong base of running backs and wide receivers. We know there will be injuries. Get more options than you need.

While I rank Rodgers and Luck as third-rounders, they’re obviously not lasting that long in ESPN average live drafts, which is where the comparison points enter for this project. A season ago, Peyton Manning ended up a crazy fourth overall in average draft position, and Rodgers and New Orleans’ Drew Brees were going later in the first round, or close to it. I can’t do that. There are monster wide receivers still available there and important running backs. Look, you know about ESPN’s #MockDraftMonday, and I’ve tried selecting a quarterback early in mocks, and I never like my team. I like it with Carolina's Cam Newton, certainly underrated now, joining my team in Round 8 -- or even better, Miami’s Ryan Tannehill, a top-10 fantasy quarterback a year ago, in Round 11. That’s value.

The bottom line on my “Do Not Draft” list is that in most every case I certainly would draft the player, but not at the cost I’m seeing in drafts and auctions. Value is key, just like statistics. Quarterbacks and tight ends just do not show up as top-10 value-basedselections, ever, due to the depth at their positions. It’s always running backs and wide receivers. Throw six or seven on your team right away and hope five are really, really worth it, then get your quarterback and tight end. There are myriad ways to construct a successful fantasy roster, and maybe you wish to go with the best tight end and quarterback with your first several picks. You could win. Or you could be hoping DeAngelo Williams works out as a RB2. Could happen, I guess. Probably not.

For this year’s annual blog entry on who I am not drafting, I’m simply going in order of current ESPN ADP.

Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers (seventh in ADP): Great player, great guy, terrible value. Get a great running back or wide receiver.

DeMarco Murray, RB, Philadelphia Eagles (eighth in ADP): Last season's numbers are not happening again, even in this potentially awesome offense. He could lose more than 100 touches. Ryan Mathews and Darren Sproles will be involved. I worry about injury. I’ll take Murray in the second round, not the first.

Andrew Luck, QB, Indianapolis Colts (12th in ADP): People occasionally ask me how the top scorers can be bad values. Add up the fantasy points for Luck plus most seventh-round running backs versus Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas or Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryantplus Newton/Romo/Eli Manning/Tannehill. You should know how this ends.

Rob Gronkowski, TE, New England Patriots (15th in ADP): I’m well aware he stayed injury-free last season and I applaud him, but he’s still a huge risk this early. We cannot simply disregard his past woes, his current September quarterback, the position depth or the fact he has never finished top-10 in value-based drafting. Giants stud Odell Beckham Jr. is going a pick later. Take the sophomore and then Tennessee Titans tight end Delanie Walker in Round 12.

Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks (22nd in ADP): I believe this point has been made clear. Let’s ignore quarterback for this exercise the rest of the way. Peyton Manning is going 23rd, by the way. Way too generous.

Jimmy Graham, TE, Seahawks (27th in ADP): There’s no way he puts up the numbers you want, that you covet, unless Seattle drastically alters its offense, and that’s just not happening. They run. Like, a ton. I do have Graham projected as the No. 2 tight end, but not this early.

Jonathan Stewart, RB, Carolina Panthers (43rd in ADP): I tried and just can’t do it. I originally ranked Stewart, who has made fantasy owners suffer for years and certainly not only because he was in an annoying time-share, in this region. I just can’t pick him here. How can we possibly project 16 games? I know all the reasons why people love him from brief glimpses last season, why they call him underrated, but I can’t trust him. The health, the goal-line looks, nothing. I have to choose him a round or two later or let someone else deal with it.

Todd Gurley, RB, St. Louis Rams (47th in ADP): I had to lower my rank on him as well, because I simply wasn’t choosing him in drafts. I want to win now. Today. There’s obviously major upside here, but the difference between Gurley and Pittsburgh Steelers starLe'Veon Bell, whom I rank first overall despite him missing multiple games, is clear: Gurley remains unproven and I think he’s going to miss more games than Bell, more than we think overall. In a dynasty format, I’m all-in on the exciting rookie, but as the fifth player on my roster for 2015, knowing how scarce reliable running back depth is, I’m not. Get Tre Mason a few rounds later, because even when Gurley is ready, he’s not simply going away.

Seahawks defense (48th in ADP): You’re kidding, right? Fifth round? Over potential starting running backs in Dallas, Oakland, Arizona, Detroit, Jacksonville, etc.? That’s foolish. All kinds of foolish. This wasn’t even fantasy’s No. 1 scoring unit last season. I’m not saying these are the Chicago Bears, because that’s a terrible defense, but take your defenses after Round 14. Always. I’ll leave out all the other defenses going in the top 100. There’s simply no justification, as is happening in ESPN ADP, to take the Buffalo Billsbefore Detroit Lions rookie Ameer Abdullah -- none.

DeSean Jackson, WR, Washington Redskins (54th in ADP): Silly you, thinking the numbers he put up in his walk season with the Eagles would happen again. Way different offense, and Jackson isn’t a volume receiver. He makes big plays and yes, he did make them last season. He was top-20 at the position in standard formats, though how he does it is also an issue, with so many games of nothing. It’s just dangerous to rely on big plays for fantasy; he’s already injured and while I can’t measure this, I wonder about his motivation. The team is a wreck. Ultimately, Jackson, who correctly appeared on this list a year ago, has topped 63 receptions in one season, and I doubt it happens again. I have Jackson ranked somewhere in this area, but because of how I construct teams, I always choose someone else with upside, like Oakland's Amari Cooper or wait a few rounds for Pittsburgh's Martavis Bryant and Jacksonville’s Allen Robinson.

Julius Thomas, TE, Jacksonville Jaguars (69th in ADP): I’m actually a little disappointed he got hurt because so many people had been taking him in the first seven rounds, and I never would. You know how nice it is when you’ve got a few players queued up and they don’t go before your pick? That seems to be happening a lot for me with regard to Thomas. I wasn’t selecting him. The busted finger will scare people away now, because he might miss September action, but make no mistake, the version we saw in Denver can’t possibly put up numbers with Blake Bortles throwing to him, regardless of how great an athlete he is. Not big numbers. Before the injury, I had Thomas ranked 50 spots worse than this ADP for a reason.

C.J. Spiller, RB, New Orleans Saints (74th in ADP): How many times do you need to be disappointed by this fellow? Honestly, haven’t you had enough yet? Mark Ingram is the starter, in the traditional running back role. And they’ve got Brees, and you know he’s throwing plenty. I’ll surely consider Spiller, currently on the shelf after minor knee surgery, in PPR formats, but for standard, pass here.

Insert kicker's name here: The Patriots’ Stephen Gostkowski should be the first pick of the 16th round -- in every standard league. Not an eighth-rounder, which apparently is where he is going. All kickers go in the last round. Rinse and repeat.

Darren McFadden, RB, Cowboys (91st in ADP): I don’t know if Joseph Randle can be “the guy,” but I’m quite certain broken down McFadden can’t be. There are other running backs going in the same region I’m not fond of for big standard-league stats, like Tampa Bay's Doug Martin, the Giants’ Shane Vereen, and name a Cleveland Browns running back, but I’d still take them at the back end of the top 100 anyway. Not so much with McFadden.

Victor Cruz, WR, Giants (111th in ADP): I do hope he salsas his way back into our collective hearts, but there’s a flashy sophomore receiver standing (with healthy knees) in the way now, and Cruz, aiming to return soon after shredding a knee, hasn’t been worth it since 2012. Even this late, find someone else.

Percy Harvin, WR, Buffalo Bills (124th in ADP): Usually this late I would say there are no bad picks, but in Harvin’s case, it’s just never worth it. He’s certainly talented, but health is a skill and he doesn’t have it. He has 52 receptions . . . the past three regular seasons combined. Find another late-round upside pick. Green Bay's Davante Adams, Arizona’s John Brown and Denver's Cody Latimer all qualify.

Who perhaps surprisingly is not on my “Do Not Draft” list: Let’s start with Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson. I might not take him third overall, because I don’t believe missing an entire season is such a great thing for a 30-year-old running back, but I’d take him fifth or sixth. We’re splitting hairs here. … I’d select Detroit Lions stud Calvin Johnson if he slips to his current ADP of 18, but I haven’t seen him slip that far in drafts. … I don’t believe San Diego Chargers rook Melvin Gordon will play on third downs or catch passes, but even if he’s Redskins running back Alfred Morris statistically, his ADP works. … Baltimore Ravens running back Justin Forsett is actually on my “do draft” list. I’m surprised so many people dislike him. Um, why can’t he do that again? …Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is going late enough in drafts to avoid my list. … Same with overrated Titans running back Bishop Sankey. I don’t know who will lead the Titans in rushing, but it sure doesn’t look like it will be Sankey. But in Round 11, sure, take a chance. … As for the rookie passers, I don’t think Tampa Bay's Jameis Winston or Tennessee's Marcus Mariota will be good for fantasy this season, but in Round 13 or later, go for it. There’s little risk because anyone with a top-10 quarterback not named Tom Brady can simply choose a bye-week backup in October.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Top 10 defenses: Virginia will shine again

i

1. Virginia Cavaliers

Virginia's statistical dominance on defense last season was truly remarkable, and I'll grant that part of this hegemony reflected the Cavaliers simply imposing their will on hopelessly overmatched offenses. (In ACC play, the Hoos' two best games on D came against Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.) Still, any quibbling over the origins of extraordinary numbers obscures a larger point: Tony Bennett's team was magnificent on defense, and over the past two seasons Virginia is 32-4 in conference play. Losing Darion Atkins, who wrapped up his eligibility after last season, poses a challenge for this D. Then again, a year ago at this time Bennett was telling anyone who would listen how badly Akil Mitchell would be missed on defense. So, yes, I expect Malcolm Brogdon, Anthony Gill, London Perrantes, Evan Nolte, Mike Tobey, Marial Shayok and Isaiah Wilkins will enable UVa to once again drive opposing offenses crazy. It's a Charlottesville tradition.

i

2.Kentucky Wildcats

Over the course of John Calipari's six seasons in Lexington, he has put spectacular defenses on the floor more or less half the time -- in 2009-10, with John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins; 2011-12, when Anthony Davis led the Wildcats to a national title; and last season (you remember last season). Looking ahead to 2015-16, it's reasonable to expect some slippage on D. Karl-Anthony Towns and Willie Cauley-Stein formed perhaps the most formidable shot-blocking wall in recent memory. Nevertheless, this UK defense should be very, very good. Skal Labissiere is the top-ranked freshman center in the country, and Marcus Lee has long given the appearance of being a freakishly talented player who just needs minutes.

i

3. Oklahoma Sooners

Lon Kruger loses only TaShawn Thomas from what was the Big 12's No. 1-ranked defense in 2014-15 (by a hair -- sorry, Kansas). Last season the Sooners held conference opponents to 43 percent shooting on 2-point field goals, and, what's even more impressive, OU did so without fouling. Buddy Hield, Jordan Woodard, Ryan Spangler and Isaiah Cousins all return, and Kruger will see what he can get in the way of defense and minutes from 7-foot junior college transfer Akolda Manyang. If the big guy -- and/or one of his teammates -- can pull down opponents' misses with regularity, Oklahoma might even improve on last season's defensive performance.

i

4. Utah Utes

Last season, no Pac-12 defense -- not even Arizona's -- forced conference opponents to miss shots better than Larry Krystkowiak's men (granted, the Wildcats had the superior unit overall, thanks to borderline superhuman defensive rebounding). How much of that prowess was due to the presence of a ball-hawking 6-foot-5 point guard named Delon Wright? We're about to find out: Wright's gone, and pretty much everyone else is back. Most important, 7-foot sophomore Jakob Poeltl is back. Poeltl isn't a dominant shot-blocker or defensive rebounder, but he happens to be really good at both. True, Pac-12 opponents aren't likely to shoot just 29 percent on their 3-point shots as they did against Utah last season, but the Utes can offset a moderate correction there by giving Poeltl some help on the defensive glass.

i

5. Maryland Terrapins

When I posted my list of the top 10 offenses for 2015-16 this week, some readers thought that perhaps I'd overlooked Maryland. Actually, the Terrapins last season had merely the No. 10-ranked offense ... in the 14-team Big Ten. Granted, Rasheed Sulaimon,Diamond Stone and Robert Carter have arrived in College Park, and Melo Trimble, Jake Layman and Jared Nickens are still in residence there. I'm not saying the Terps won't be better on offense than they were last season. I am saying their defense should be even better than the team's very good offense. Last season Maryland had the best D in the Big Ten, and the results on that side of the ball in 2015-16 could well be even more impressive.

i

6. San Diego State Aztecs

J.J. O'Brien and Aqeel Quinn completed their eligibility, and in the offseason Matt Shrigley tore an ACL. So much for the "departures" column at San Diego State, though Shrigley might yet return at some point this season. Among those returning, we find the most important name of all: head coach Steve Fisher. In each of the past five seasons, the Aztecs have finished in the top three in terms of points allowed per possession in Mountain West play. This is not Fisher's first barbecue, and with Malik Pope, Winston Shepard,Skylar Spencer and Angelo Chol on hand, Fisher has more than enough length and talent at his disposal to sustain SDSU's glittering run of defensive excellence.

i

7. Wichita State Shockers

Gregg Marshall wants his on-ball defenders to "explode to the ball," but if one of his off-ball defenders over-pursues, he is likely to say, "No, no, we're not denying [the pass], we're taking away penetration." This is pack-line defense by another name -- "gap man," at Wichita -- and as this preference for containment over harassment wins over more and more head coaches not named Shaka, the point totals and turnover rates in college ball continue to decline. Wichita State plays this style as well as any team not named Virginia:Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker and Evan Wessel know what's expected on D, and Cleveland State transfer Anton Grady has the potential to provide a big defensive lift in the paint.

i

8. Kansas Jayhawks

You can make a case that Bill Self has been the pre-eminent defensive coach of the past 10 years. You can also make a case, however, that the past two seasons in Lawrence have represented something of a mini-slump for Self on that side of the ball. KU was very good on defense last season, to be sure, but the days when Jeff Withey was forcing a generational player like Anthony Davis into 1-of-10 shooting from the floor are long gone. So much for ancient history. The good news for Kansas fans is that, with everyone except Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander back from last season's team, the Jayhawks are poised to improve on defense. Whether you're Perry Ellis, Wayne Selden Jr., Frank Mason III, Jamari Traylor, Devonte' Graham or Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, prolonged exposure to Self alone should be sufficient impetus to play better D. And if 6-foot-9 freshman Cheick Diallo gets his eligibility squared away with the NCAA, all the better.

i

9. Arizona Wildcats

Call it a coincidence, but for the second time on this list (see No. 2, above) we are confronted with a team named the Wildcats, a coach renowned for excellence on defense, and a roster that has turned over almost completely. Kaleb Tarczewski is the only returning starter from an Arizona team that treated the Pac-12 like a plaything last season. Gabe York and Elliott Pitts also saw regular minutes, but past that, you're looking at newcomers in Tucson for 2015-16. If Miller can instill any turn-key defensive intensity in fresh faces such as Boston College transfer Ryan Anderson or highly touted freshman Allonzo Trier, these Wildcats could push Utah for the title of best D in the Pac-12.

i

10. Rhode Island Rams

The Rams held A-10 opponents to just 0.93 points per trip last season, the best figure posted by any defense in the league, and the core of that team has returned to Kingston for 2015-16. Dan Hurley will have not only returnees Hassan Martin, E.C. Matthews andJarvis Garrett, but also Memphis transfer Kuran Iverson. URI's is the rare defense that forces missed shots and turnovers. In fact, the only thing this unit lacks is a catchy scheme label that coaches can toss back and forth knowingly at clinics. May I suggest Pack Havoc?