The Official "Empire" Thread (New Show on Fox by Lee Daniels starring Terrance Howard)

HONEYBLAY

Pro
Daps
Reppin
~919..Go Tarheelz..~
Malik Yoba Says 'Empire' Death Was A Complete Shock..
http://www.centrictv.com/entertainm...-says-empire-death-was-a-complete-shock0.html

Empire' actor says he was the victim of a mandatory plot twist.....

032015-Centric-Entertainment-Malik-Yoba-Empire.jpg

• Dap
Reactions: jeh

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
yall know what really chits my grits concerning this show?

the lack of authenticity. not just the horrible way that they portray hip-hop. and im not even gonna mention the bait-n-switch where you watch the show and its really an r&b series.

what i cant stand the most is the horrible time-stamps on the flashbacks. when they flashback to different time periods, the settings are all over the place. like when they went back to the early '00s when andre had his 1st breakdown, and it looked like the early '90s instead.

i brought this up to my pops and he kinda brushed it off as just TV. but when he saw that episode the other day where they flashed back to the '90s, and he saw lucious wearing some chit that he rocked in the '70s, he was highly critical.:laugh: then when i called him out on his hypocrisy, he still wouldnt double-back and give me my reparations. SMH.

with that said, i can enjoy this show as a primtime soap opera. its pushing for goat status. BUT this should never ever be mentioned as a great hip-hop series. you can tell this show is the mastermind of a faq and some middle-aged white men.
Bingo,,, That's the biggest problem with it

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

the lack of authenticity. not just the horrible way that they portray hip-hop. and im not even gonna mention the bait-n-switch where you watch the show and its really an r&b series.

what i cant stand the most is the horrible time-stamps on the flashbacks. when they flashback to different time periods, the settings are all over the place. like when they went back to the early '00s when andre had his 1st breakdown, and it looked like the early '90s instead.

i brought this up to my pops and he kinda brushed it off as just TV. but when he saw that episode the other day where they flashed back to the '90s, and he saw lucious wearing some chit that he rocked in the '70s, he was highly critical.:laugh: then when i called him out on his hypocrisy, he still wouldnt double-back and give me my reparations. SMH.

with that said, i can enjoy this show as a primtime soap opera. its pushing for goat status. BUT this should never ever be mentioned as a great hip-hop series. you can tell this show is the mastermind of a faq and some middle-aged white men.

worse part of it all was when they started reppin philly.:sadbron:

thats what really pissed me off to the highest level of pissivity.

nicca walking around with a process in his hair..

when he finds out its hakeems and hakeem been fukkin on everybody :banderas:

it would be goat if the dad turns out to be the old white man in the wheelchair.

:pachaha:

you say you agree with my pops, but he turned around and contradicted himself a couple days later when he saw '90s lucious rockin some chit from picture day '68.

and it is a problem. one of the main ingredients to a good urban show/movie is authenticity. thats pretty much the main requirement actually. i give empire a pass since its just a soap but i dont like the new standard that its potentially setting.

its like we're losing our culture. whats left of it at least.:sadcam:

Steve Urkel wasn't the star of family matters originally @Wacky D , taraj and Terrence are the billed leads sure but things can change . Jamal is the break out character of the show it seems like and just because he's not a household name prior to the show he can become a star .
Edit :quoted wrong dude my bad but your right about Jamal's helped by not being a overly flamboyant gay character

jamal is NOT steve urkel..

horrible comparison.

Last edited:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
just got around to the first ep. not bad :ehh:

that line "theres just too much homophobia in the black community" might be one of the worst moments in film history :mjlol:

every time gaboury sidibe is on the screen :scusthov:

think im gonna run thru this tho :ehh:

Superstar
Daps
i'm not sure why yoba was surprised his character was killed. i saw that happening a few episodes in.

you can tell this show is the mastermind of a faq and some middle-aged white men.
according to yoba a female is calling all the shots & even writes much of it
ilene-chaiken.jpg

https://twitter.com/ilenechaiken

i think lee daniels is just a mascot

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
i'm not sure why yoba was surprised his character was killed. i saw that happening a few episodes in.

ilene-chaiken.jpg

yea, they had a roundtable special on fox like a month ago.

taraji, terrence & the writers/producers. i think she was the white chick on there. and the rest of the table was 2 middle-aged white men, lee daniels and some older black dude with gray dreads or something.

funny thing is, i hink they lean on lee daniels & the old guy for the "authenticity". that would explain why the settings are so bizarre. lol.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

ilene-chaiken.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Lee Daniels is NOT the showrunner or Head Writer. Lee Daniels only co-wrote the pilot & directed the first 2 episodes.