The Official Drone Thread

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Been shoppig around for one. I wanna get a good one but at the same time keep the price tag under $400. But i'll go over that if i find something i really like that has all the things i want in it

Make some suggestions. And what brands are good reliable brands? I see way too many similar drones with similar specs from various brands.

My requirements:
  1. Live camera view
  2. Altitude hold
  3. Return home
  4. Decent range
Wants but not required:
  • Auto follow mode
  • Ability to lift 10+ lbs
I also want another small one with a camera that can fly into small spaces. Like the ones with the cages around them but with a camera. I wanna be able to fly into my crawlspace and attic to inspect it for rodents or something.

GoldenGlove

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I cant fly one of these if my life depended on it. Controls are way too sensitive
Really? I thought this too, til I finally got around to setting mine up and just messed around with it.

It's pretty easy and videogame like IMO.

GoldenGlove

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I wanna get a good one but at the same time keep the price tag under $400.
:patrice:
Good Luck breh, I'd say your best bet is to hit up Amazon reviews and then Youtube to see if the drones in your price range checkout.

Black Friday is coming up, and they always have deals around that time of the year on more expensive drones, that's when I got my Mavic Pro last year.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
:patrice:
Good Luck breh, I'd say your best bet is to hit up Amazon reviews and then Youtube to see if the drones in your price range checkout.

Black Friday is coming up, and they always have deals around that time of the year on more expensive drones, that's when I got my Mavic Pro last year.
What's the max altitude on that thing? And does it have the features i mentioned? If it has everything i want i'll go over 1K if needed. The $400 was just as a newbie i wanted something cheap to break in. Pun (break) intended.

GoldenGlove

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜‘๐Ÿ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
What's the max altitude on that thing? And does it have the features i mentioned? If it has everything i want i'll go over 1K if needed. The $400 was just as a newbie i wanted something cheap to break in. Pun (break) intended.

I'm sure it has all of those features, there's plenty of videos going over how to use them too.

That's why I just went with DJI because it's the most popular brand and there's going to be a ton of assets out there to help you do whatever you're trying to do with it.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love

I'm sure it has all of those features, there's plenty of videos going over how to use them too.

That's why I just went with DJI because it's the most popular brand and there's going to be a ton of assets out there to help you do whatever you're trying to do with it.

Oh these are the really advanced types that can fly really high and you have to register with the FAA and all. Not sure i need that...yet

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Oh these are the really advanced types that can fly really high and you have to register with the FAA and all. Not sure i need that...yet

That drone is hacked to break the 500m limit. No drone can go higher then 500m without being tainted with or approved by country's laws.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
That drone is hacked to break the 500m limit. No drone can go higher then 500m without being tainted with or approved by country's laws.
This is a complete and utter lie.. Go right into your settings and set the max height for whatever you want.. It'll give you a WARNING.. ignore it and fly... 741m is my personal high

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
What is with so many people trying to take these things way beyond the legal height?
Iโ€™m not the drone police doing every single thing by the book but I at least fly with a little common sense. If that thing is flying out of your line of sight you have no idea if a plane will suck it into an engine, or if you get a disconnect and it flies into traffic and causes an accident...so many things can go wrong, and this irresponsible dismissive attitude is going to continue until people die or get seriously injured.
Iโ€™ll tell you from a business owner perspective, itโ€™s irresponsible drone operators that make my job way harder than it needs to be. I live in an area with restricted military air space, hospitals, and jails, everywhere. When I go shoot a real estate property and come across restricted air space and inform the realtor that I wonโ€™t be able to put the drone up, 9 times out of 10 they have some other dummy that has told them they could put a drone up with no problem. I could sit here all day and tell you the ignorant comments Iโ€™ve heard from people who own drones but have done nothing to familiarize themselves with the laws. They just ramble off nonsense they simple assume and spread their ignorance to the masses.