The Official Drone Thread

Allen Poe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans --> Las Vegas
DJI just released their latest drone and this shyt looks incredible.

Definitely gotta look into getting one. 1299 for the basic combo which doesn't seem too bad. Doesn't include motion controller which is another 200 bucks but I think that's pretty average price for what I've seen on their other products. Will likely wait on a sale and see what bugs they fix if any on the initial product release.

:whoo::ooh::feedme::feedme::feedme:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Forgot to tell y’alli ended up getting the Mavic Air2. Dope little drone.
Battery life (34 minutes) kinda sucks but from what I understand that’s pretty good in comparison to other drones.:manny:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Forgot to tell y’alli ended up getting the Mavic Air2. Dope little drone.
Battery life (34 minutes) kinda sucks but from what I understand that’s pretty good in comparison to other drones.:manny:
What do you need to record for more than 34 minutes?
:mjtf:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Anybody in here a licensed drone pilot?
@Kamikaze Revy

If so, what's the process like and how much does it cost?
Also... that DJI FPV drone looks sexy af... I want it :demonic:

:noah:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
@shutterguy @The Devil's Advocate

I see y'all mention having the mavic 2 pro. Does that one have the smartphone controller and fpv? Cuz the new fpv drone doesn't have the controller where you can connect your phone. Like if I wanna show it to my friends or kids, feel like it'll be better thru a screen instead of goggles cuz I'd be hesitant to let anyone fly that shyt that can't afford to replace it but I didn't see that option on the fpv drone. The mavic air 2 looked decent also but not sure if that has both features as well. I don't think I even need the smart controller. Just a regular controller with the phone connected to it, and then fpv goggle capabilities so I can eventually upgrade and add that feature. Any recommendations you guys have or know of?

Yea the Mavic 2 has the standard controller which works with a phone or tablet, you can also get the FPV goggles for it. If you can swing the Mavic 2, that would be the best because it has all the sensors covering all sides. The thing that sold me on the smart controller was quick and easy to get in the air within 30 seconds, no cables to connect, only one device to keep charged, and super bright screen. With a phone or tablet, the phone's or tablet battery life and operation, usb cable potential issues, plus the controller has to be charged up as well.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Anybody in here a licensed drone pilot?
@Kamikaze Revy

If so, what's the process like and how much does it cost?
Also... that DJI FPV drone looks sexy af... I want it :demonic:

:noah:
Yes sir. I have the part 107 license.
If I recall correctly the test was $100-$150 dollars.
You have to take it at an authorized location and the test is no joke. You can’t go in there without preparing. They throw a TON of aerial charts at you and expect you to be able to read through all of the symbols and decipher it. There’s SOME “basic” drone knowledge but the majority of the test was more centered around actual aircraft pilot knowledge. The way the test is set up, it really doesn’t focus on you being a drone pilot specifically, it’s pretty much 3/4 of the way from getting an actual pilots license.
I had to get it for my production company and I recommend going for it if you’re serious about the business but I can’t stress enough the need to study with heavy emphasis on understanding the sectional charts.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Y’all getting that Mavic 2S?

looks dope but I think I’ll wait for the 3. Even tho I have no complaints with my MA2

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Y’all getting that Mavic 2S?

looks dope but I think I’ll wait for the 3. Even tho I have no complaints with my MA2

Gonna wait for the 3, like you said I have no complaints with my MA2. Paired with my Smart Controller I'm flying pretty satisfied.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I’m thinking about going from my mavic pro to the mavic air 2s.
The pro i have is great but I’d like to have an even better camera.
I would like to think the Pro has a better camera than the Air. That’s the main reason I want a Pro

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I would like to think the Pro has a better camera than the Air. That’s the main reason I want a Pro
Far as I understand, it’s the same 1” hasselblad camera. Internal processing/codecs might be different. For my needs, I want 4k/60fps and the bigger sensor. I’ve used the mavic 2 pro and liked it a lot, it just my be overkill for my frequency of use.

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Man.... almost lost my drone earlier today

Was flying the Mavic Air 2 drone over the ocean stalking jetskiers and boaters from afar. The "Low battery. Automatic return home" warning came on and I clicked ignore to finish filming something on the water real quick.

Then a few moments later I forgot I had ignored the low battery warning. Next thing i know the "low battery: forced landing in progress" alert comes on. :weirdo::weirdo::weirdo: Had to hop onto sports-mode and push that shyt to max speed to barely get it off the water and AT LEAST over dry land but that was still like 1/3 mile away from me way on the other side of the park onto a highway midian where i got it to land.:palm:

Lucky me i landed it was away from people and took me about 5 minutes to run and locate it on the grass. Had me thinking "there goes my $700 toy" for a sec.

Lesson learned: Set the low-batter return home setting to about 25% battery instead

Last edited:

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I see the Mavic 3 just got announced. Looks cool but expensive as hell. Still doesn't have what I would want which is a smart controller plus fpv. Maybe the Mavic 4 will or I'll just splurge on one of these random combos.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I see the Mavic 3 just got announced. Looks cool but expensive as hell. Still doesn't have what I would want which is a smart controller plus fpv. Maybe the Mavic 4 will or I'll just splurge on one of these random combos.

I'm going to grab it, I like the extended flight time (currently rockin 5 batteries for the Mav 2) and I am highly interested in upgraded software. I already have the Smart Controller so as long as it works with base model Mav 3, I'm good.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I'm going to grab it, I like the extended flight time (currently rockin 5 batteries for the Mav 2) and I am highly interested in upgraded software. I already have the Smart Controller so as long as it works with base model Mav 3, I'm good.
i don't know if it does. i know the cine model has a pro controller thing I saw but you know more about those type of things than me.