Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List - Day 16 - Sleepaway Camp
Bunks and showers are a mad stabber's beat at a summer camp strictly for teens.

This was a cool swing from something really modern and meta to one of the classics that paved the way for a small army of copycats. I don't need to revisit Sleepaway Camp or its quality...or that twist ending that's so well-known these dies. Ironically, I spent my rewatch chuckling at how obvious the twist feels in retrospect.

Anyway, this one's a known commodity. It's a classic slasher, though I bet newer generations would consider it pretty tame.

The List:
1. Triangle (Prime)
2. The Loved Ones (Paramount+)
3. Salem's Lot 2024 (Max)
4. Be My Cat: A Film for Anne (Tubi)
5. VHS Beyond (Shudder)
6. *Choose your own* - Haunt (2019)
7. Don't Go in the House (Tubi, Youtube)
8. Cure (Internet Archive)
9. Masque of the Red Death(Pluto/Apple TV+)
10. The Eyes of My Mother (Max)
11. Henry Portait of a Serial Killer (Peacock)
12. Curse of Chucky (Netflix)
13. *Choose your own*
14. Junk (2000) (Youtube)
15. Detention (2011) (Tubi)
16. Sleepaway Camp (Peacock)

17. The Skeleton Key(Peacock/Apple TV+)
18. The Witch (Max)
19. Brain Damage 1988 (Tubi)
20. *Choose your own*
21. Audition (Tubi)
22. J. D.'s Revenge(Tubi/Brown Sugar/Prime)
23. Dead Silence (Tubi)
24. Sinister (Max)
25. World War Z (Paramount Plus)
26. The Burbs (Youtube)
27. *Choose your own*
28. 28 Days Later
29. Black Christmas (Tubi)
30. The Shining(MAX/Apple TV+)
31. John Carpenter's Halloween

Next up we'll peep Skeleton Key which I kinda think has an underrated twist...

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps

That's Scout Taylor Compton (far left) now? Good for her. :leon:

Yea she's nice. She's has a podcast with Danielle Harris. Here's both of them in a Halloween store. They're pretty funny.

Speaking of Danielle Harris....

I watched Stream (2024)
MV5BMzNjMzkzMTctZDg0My00MzQwLTliYTctMTZkYTdkZGM4ZWYwXkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

There's a bunch of horror actors in the movie. It's also produced by the Terrifier people, and has Damien Leone doing the special effects. Art The Clown is one of the killers and its obvious which one.

It's basically WISHmaster Terrifier 2. It's not as gory as those movies. I was suprised Jeffrey Combs was in the movie so much. He was the best part for sure.

If you like the 80s throwback slashers you'll like this one.

I'm suprised they made the daughter such a shytty person :mjlol:

The whole movie shes just trying to get banged by some guy she just met. When she gets back into the plot she murders her dad :dead:

Like Terrifier 2 shes fine, and is an actress in her late 20s/early 30s playing a high schooler.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

This is what you like to see..... that old school theater fukkery lol...

I listened to a podcast the other day with the head of the production company that releases these movies. A lot of the credit has to go to Leone and his team because these would not get greenlit if they cost any money to produce and they are making a $2M budget look like movies that cost $15-20M or more... it's their work on it that makes these viable.

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I trust your judgement and especially with modern horrors straight to streaming outlets i have less faith in them.

I wouldn’t call it a dud. Not the worst one. It was a cool horror flick for me just to watch with nothing else and didn’t have high expectations after hating vhs beyond and whatever other true duds I was disappointed with.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List -

16. Sleepaway Camp (Peacock)

ehh... Its sleepaway camp

if it wasn't for the :dame: ending , it would probably be just a middle of the pack 80's horror flick
But that ending just pushes it over the top
and all the sequels were horrible

it deserves a TCM 2003 remake

My cousin..... to this day ...

swears Ricky killed Judy... and that is his silhouette in the door during her murder scene

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I just got done with 'Eden Lake' and it's a pretty wild movie in the revenge/stalker subgenre. It's well shot, intense and very well acted throughout with Fassbender and Kelly Reilly as the stars. The little twats in the movie are very easily hateable. "Twats" because well they're British lol.. But here's my issue with the ending of the movie and I totally get what they are going for, spoilers below:

I get that they are trying to show us how the Dad is a piece of shyt so of course inherently his son is also a little piece of shyt. Cool. But the whole thing where they go ultra depressing with none of the protagonists surviving? Here's the thing. The police are going to find out they are the killers, Dad, Son, whole family. Why? Because of forensics. There's automobiles, blood, articles of clothing, everything scattered in those woods and it's not a huge place to search. The police also know they are there because Fassbender told her old man he was proposing. I don't think the ending works the way the writers think it does.

I'd give it a 5.5/10 based on that.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
315654_large.jpg

This is truly a slow burn film. I liked the tone of the film, and the acting is pretty solid at times, but pack your patience. I felt it could've been fleshed out more. An interesting cold open, but it could have did better with the folklore part it was targeting as the story moved on.

1180_large.jpg

This was really fun. Liked the zombie twist and it's filled with lots of violence and gore. Turns out I watched the Rated R version and there's an uncut version out. I thought it was bloody enough. Dawn of The Dead is the last Romero zombie flick I need to see.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Last Night I watched Detention (2011)

Seems like an odd movie but you gotta ignore all the crazy shyt to understand whats going on here. The Director is mainly does music videos so there's a lot of sensory overload here.

The hint is the scene when you find out the girl that's the main character is a movie nerd. There's a lot of movie influences here, the main one being John Hughes' movies. There's an assortment of highschool social groups, and Saturday Detention so of course there a little Breakfast Club in here. At the beginning of the movie the girl that we're introduced to talks to the camera in a fun way reminiscent of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The John Hughes' universe isn't always looked at lovingly. There's an asian character that's in here briefly that is a caricature like in Sixteen Candles. Makes sense the writer/director himself is asian. I liked the Saw parody, and a Fly or Fly II homage.

The main character is a teenage white girl, so the hyper realistic movie that shes "stuck" in to show her problems is a slasher movie like Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, or Urban Legend. In the same way a young black male would liken their life issues to a hood movie like Boyz in the Hood, Menace II Society, Juice, or Above the Rim. If you're following what I'm saying, slasher films are the young white girl version of hood movies.

Realism is out the window to give more weight to problems. The reason is so that people that people who think these issue in our world are small can get what the character is going through. For this demographic I'd compare it to movies like Cemetery Man, American Psycho, and The Substance. In Detention a depressed high school girl is facing issues like, a lonely young adult in Cemetery Man, a young adult pushed to their limits by their career, or an aging woman that works in an industry that overvalues their youth in The Substance.

Not bad coming from the Director of Torque, Onyx Last Dayz, The Thong Song, and a bunch of Taylor Swift videos.

I never knew about Joseph Kahn, but I'm on IMDB right now looking at his music video catalog and is pretty GOATED. Also explains why there were battle rappers in the movie that you wanted to see. There was also a joke in here about music video directors doing horror movies to pay for their coke habit. There is a music video to horror movie pipeline. I'd have to research more good examples. The only ones that I can think of is that New Line hired them to make the later Nightmare on Elm Street movies. I also know Francis Galluppi started making music videos. He directed The Last Stop in Yuma County, and will direct the next Evil Dead movie. I know John Landis did Thriller which is a great music video:blessed: Ti West did a Justin Timberlake video this year. JT stay having MJ do this
vnDBKn.gif

Here's a List of the music videos that stood out to me:
Onyx: Last Dayz
Onyx: All We Got Iz Us
Warren G feat. Adina Howard: What's Love Got to Do with It
Sugar Ray: Someday
Montell Jordan - I Like ft. Slick Rick
New Edition - Hit Me Off
Shaquille O'Neal - You Can't Stop The Reign
New Edition - I'm Still In Love With You
Rob Zombie - Living Dead Girl - This song makes me think of Jennifer Tilly in Bride of Chucky. Its an homage to silent picture horror movies.
Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back) - Video is a Hammer/Vincent Price/Universal horror movie homage
Korn - A.D.I.D.A.S.
Faith No More: Last Cup of Sorrow - Video is an homage to Vertigo
Mase Feat. Total: What You Want
Monica: The First Night
Brandy & Monica - The Boy Is Mine - Never realized Brandy & Mekhi Phifer were in this and ISKWYDLS
Backstreet Boys: Larger Than Life
Mobb Deep: Quiet Storm - This song is so cinematic. One of my favorite Mobb songs
Jennifer Love Hewitt: How Do I Deal - A music video for a song from ISKWYDLS. JLH is watching scenes from the movie.
Blackstreet Feat. Janet Jackson, Ja Rule & Eve: Girlfriend/Boyfriend
Foxy Brown: Hot Spot - Holy shyt I haven't seen this in forever
Destiny's Child: Say My Name - First time I seen this shyt as a young boy:ahh: I knew they were different after seeing this

Sisqó: Thong Song - This song was larger than life when it came out
Destiny's Child: Jumpin', Jumpin
Destiny's Child Feat. Jermaine Dupri, Da Brat & Lil Bow Wow: Jumpin', Jumpin, So So Def Remix
Wu-Tang Clan: Gravel Pit - Far from the Wu's best song but the video made me a fan as a kid
Wu-Tang Clan: Protect Ya Neck (the Jump Off)
Britney Spears: Stronger
Black Eyed Peas ft. Macy Gray: Request Line
Christina Aguilera: I Turn to You
Eminem feat. D12: Purple Hills
Aerosmith: Fly Away from Here - This is a pretty crazy anime inspired video. I don't remember anime being big then. Also has Jessica Biel:shaq:
U2: Elevation
DMX: Who We Be - real shyt I was listening to DMX when I started writing this. Even had this song on, but never knew who did this video.
Eminem: Without Me - IMO the best "Eminem" music video. He redid it for his album that came out recently. shyt got 2B views on YouTube:wow:
Mariah Carey Feat. Cam'ron: Boy (I Need You) - An homage to Japanese Pop Culture.
DMX: X Gon' Give It to Ya - I was listening to this too. This has become DMXs biggest song after death. RIP.
Britney Spears: Toxic - The best Britney Spears song and music video.
Ciara Feat. Chamillionaire: Get Up
Gwen Stefani Feat. Akon: The Sweet Escape
50 Cent Feat. Justin Timberlake: Ayo Technology
Eminem: We Made You
Eminem feat. Rihanna: Love the Way You Lie - Megan Fox and a hobbit were going through it:skip:
Dr. Dre Feat. Snoop Dogg & Akon: Kush
Eminem: Space Bound - Sasha Grey is in this:dahell: I should watch Would You Rather
Shakira feat. Rihanna: Can't Remember to Forget You - Both please
Taylor Swift: Bad Blood - The Avengers Civil War version of Toxic
Taylor Swift feat. Ed Sheeran & Future: End Game
DJ Khaled Feat. Travis Scott & Post Malone: Celebrate
DJ Khaled Feat. SZA: Just Us
DJ Khaled Feat. Lil Baby & Lil Durk: Every Chance I Get
Nicki Minaj: Super Freaky Girl
Chris Brown: Forever
Britney Spears: Womanizer:whew:
Lady Gaga - LoveGame
Chris Brown Feat Lil Wayne and Swizz Beatz: I Can Transform Ya
Chris Brown: Crawl - Cassie:leon:
Maroon 5: Misery
Ciara: Got Me Good - I'm sorry Russ but I wanna Stealher
Taylor Swift: Blank Space - 3.5B views is crazy
Taylor Swift: Wildest Dreams
Taylor Swift: Out of the Woods
Imagine Dragons: Thunder - This is dope
Taylor Swift: Look What You Made Me Do - Horror and Japanese pop culture
Maroon 5 Feat. SZA: What Lovers Do
Taylor Swift: Ready for It? - Another anime inspired video. Taylor is dressed(?) or undressed as Major from Ghost In a Shell.
Taylor Swift: Delicate
Imagine Dragons: Natural - Another horror adjacent video.
Mariah Carey: All I Want for Christmas Is You - The 2019 remake for her biggest song. It's the same audio.
Chris Brown: Iffy
Foxy Brown Feat. Dru Hill: Big Bad Mamma
Montell Jordan Feat. Master P and Silkk the Shocker: Let's Ride
Janet Jackson: Doesn't Really Matter - Another Japanese pop culture video
Moby Featuring Gwen Stefani: South Side - MTV/MTV2 used to play this shyt all the time. Forgot about it.
Papa Roach: Between Angels and Insects
Samantha Mumba: Baby, Come Over (This Is Our Night) - Oh shyt I forgot this
George Michael: Freeek! - This is batshyt crazy. Another Japanese pop culture video.
Moby: We Are All Made of Stars - This shyt got the Toxic Avenger & SGT. Kabukiman making a cameo:dead:
Busta Rhymes Feat. Pharrell: Light Your Ass on Fire
Blink-182: Always
Kelly Clarkson: Behind These Hazel Eyes - Horror Adjacent
Rob Thomas: Lonely No More

I spent like 3 hours straight watching these music videos and was highly entertained. I'm part of the last generation that watched music videos on TV for entertainment and many of these were favorites growing up.

If someone told me the guy that directed music videos for Onyx, Mobb Deep, DMX also did Taylor Swift videos I woulda called them a liar:russ:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Eh.....there are some scary parts in the movie but overall I would say it's a dud....doesn't really give any background info on why things are happening the way they are in the movie....the ending sucked as well.....
This was my biggest issue with the movie. This shyt just starts happening for no real reason. Where did the entity come from and why did it choose this family? shyt was just a few jump scares.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I never knew about Joseph Kahn, but I'm on IMDB right now looking at his music video catalog and is pretty GOATED. Also explains why there were battle rappers in the movie that you wanted to see. There was also a joke in here about music video directors doing horror movies to pay for their coke habit. There is a music video to horror movie pipeline. I'd have to research more good examples. The only ones that I can think of is that New Line hired them to make the later Nightmare on Elm Street movies. I also know Francis Galluppi started making music videos. He directed The Last Stop in Yuma County, and will direct the next Evil Dead movie. I know John Landis did Thriller which is a great music video:blessed: Ti West did a Justin Timberlake video this year. JT stay having MJ do this
vnDBKn.gif

Another Music Video Director turned horror director...David Fincher. Look at his early directorial listings and it's Paula Abdul and Rick Springfield videos :mjlol:

I think Joseph Kahn's weakness has been writing. Granted, I've only seen Detention and Bodied (his straight up battle rap movie). Both films are overly referential, to the point that it almost feels disruptive to the plot. The references, cameos, etc feel more important to him than the actual story. That's not a complete swipe at him though, I think Detention is completely watchable and Bodied is a solid watch for battle rap fans from that era.

Ironically, I feel like music videos were always a place for bloated budgets and style over substance. But it's cool to see those directors shift gears and get value out of notoriously cheap horror budgets. Imo, it makes sense that we're seeing Youtube directors find success in the horror realm, because they already have a ton of experience working with low budgets and skeleton crews.