Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Ironically, I feel like music videos were always a place for bloated budgets and style over substance. But it's cool to see those directors shift gears and get value out of notoriously cheap horror budgets. Imo, it makes sense that we're seeing Youtube directors find success in the horror realm, because they already have a ton of experience working with low budgets and skeleton crews.

Who are some of these people? I only know about the guys behind Talk to Me coming from YouTube.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Who are some of these people? I only know about the guys behind Talk to Me coming from YouTube.
Racka Racka aka the Talk to Me Brothers is one of the best examples, for sure.

But the best example is Radio Silence who haven't seemed to miss since jumping from Youtube shorts to VHS to Ready or Not and Scream. Here's a pretty detailed story of their evolution:

Another example would be the Skinamarink director. His youtube channel basically acted as a proof of concept for the movie. I actually like the youtube videos a lot more than the movie (I just don't think that style of filmmaking works for longer than 10 or 15 minutes).

And I think the Milk and Serial guys have a shot too. It seems like they got some inspiration from the other Youtube to Horror pipeline guys. Here are some some links to videos in the spoilers for space saving reasons:
They go from this comedy:

to this excellent parody of Talk to Me:

To a genuinely good horror that they released on Youtube:

That Talk to Me parody bodies me every time.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List - Day 17 - The Skeleton Key(Peacock/Apple TV+)
A hospice nurse working at a spooky New Orleans plantation home finds herself entangled in a mystery involving the house's dark past.

I kinda feel like Skeleton Key got a raw deal, because I remember it being a hated on movie when it first dropped. I think it's got a really clever twist, but it's flaws come through a lack of tension. The MC never feels threatened, unless you count getting fired for snooping around. There's a genuinely interesting mystery unfolding, but I don't think there's enough action to hook viewers. At least until a second watch through, where we can spot all the clues and build-up.

This is basically Get Out with the roles reversed...but if you remove the social satire and tension from Get Out, you don't have much. Which is probably why The Skeleton Key never found a broader audience or cult following...and that's my TED talk.

Anyway, I appreciate the Skeleton Key way more these days. It's subtlety may have hurt it, but I like a plot where the twist isn't forced and still manages to be surprising on your first viewing...actually, I wonder if modern audiences might catch it better than I did when it first dropped.

The List:
1. Triangle (Prime)
2. The Loved Ones (Paramount+)
3. Salem's Lot 2024 (Max)
4. Be My Cat: A Film for Anne (Tubi)
5. VHS Beyond (Shudder)
6. *Choose your own* - Haunt (2019)
7. Don't Go in the House (Tubi, Youtube)
8. Cure (Internet Archive)
9. Masque of the Red Death(Pluto/Apple TV+)
10. The Eyes of My Mother (Max)
11. Henry Portait of a Serial Killer (Peacock)
12. Curse of Chucky (Netflix)
13. *Choose your own*
14. Junk (2000) (Youtube)
15. Detention (2011) (Tubi)
16. Sleepaway Camp (Peacock)
17. The Skeleton Key(Peacock/Apple TV+)

18. The Witch (Max)
19. Brain Damage 1988 (Tubi)
20. *Choose your own*
21. Audition (Tubi)
22. J. D.'s Revenge(Tubi/Brown Sugar/Prime)
23. Dead Silence (Tubi)
24. Sinister (Max)
25. World War Z (Paramount Plus)
26. The Burbs (Youtube)
27. *Choose your own*
28. 28 Days Later
29. Black Christmas (Tubi)
30. The Shining(MAX/Apple TV+)
31. John Carpenter's Halloween

Next up, my favorite Robert Eggers movie by a long shot.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List -

I haven't seen this in years, & I actually forgot the twist,
so i enjoyed it fore the most part, it was just sort of slow in certain spots.
another slow burn type thriller/ supernatural Horror.

My dad's side of the family is from around that area in Louisiana and the Southern Gothic feel is just about as authentic as you can get.
Its honestly creepy as fukk down there.

what really drives the story is the interactions between the main characters and how the nurse is set up.
the "old lady" played her like a game game on easy mode.
the war doctor tried to warn her azz, but she just kept digging

like @storyteller mentions, its basically Get Out, before Get Out.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List - Day 17 - The Skeleton Key(Peacock/Apple TV+)

I kinda feel like Skeleton Key got a raw deal, because I remember it being a hated on movie when it first dropped. I think it's got a really clever twist, but it's flaws come through a lack of tension. The MC never feels threatened, unless you count getting fired for snooping around. There's a genuinely interesting mystery unfolding, but I don't think there's enough action to hook viewers. At least until a second watch through, where we can spot all the clues and build-up.

This is basically Get Out with the roles reversed...but if you remove the social satire and tension from Get Out, you don't have much. Which is probably why The Skeleton Key never found a broader audience or cult following...and that's my TED talk.

Anyway, I appreciate the Skeleton Key way more these days. It's subtlety may have hurt it, but I like a plot where the twist isn't forced and still manages to be surprising on your first viewing...actually, I wonder if modern audiences might catch it better than I did when it first dropped.

The List:
1. Triangle (Prime)
2. The Loved Ones (Paramount+)
3. Salem's Lot 2024 (Max)
4. Be My Cat: A Film for Anne (Tubi)
5. VHS Beyond (Shudder)
6. *Choose your own* - Haunt (2019)
7. Don't Go in the House (Tubi, Youtube)
8. Cure (Internet Archive)
9. Masque of the Red Death(Pluto/Apple TV+)
10. The Eyes of My Mother (Max)
11. Henry Portait of a Serial Killer (Peacock)
12. Curse of Chucky (Netflix)
13. *Choose your own*
14. Junk (2000) (Youtube)
15. Detention (2011) (Tubi)
16. Sleepaway Camp (Peacock)

18. The Witch (Max)
19. Brain Damage 1988 (Tubi)
20. *Choose your own*
21. Audition (Tubi)
22. J. D.'s Revenge(Tubi/Brown Sugar/Prime)
23. Dead Silence (Tubi)
24. Sinister (Max)
25. World War Z (Paramount Plus)
26. The Burbs (Youtube)
27. *Choose your own*
28. 28 Days Later
29. Black Christmas (Tubi)
30. The Shining(MAX/Apple TV+)
31. John Carpenter's Halloween

Next up, my favorite Robert Eggers movie by a long shot.

I watched the Skeleton Key around 2005. Just remember Peter Skarsgard's acting being terrible. get nightmares now after watching horror movies, not sure why, maybe I'm older. But, used to watch around 20, and now it's more like 12-15.

Campfire Tales (1997) is what I am on now

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I watched the Skeleton Key around 2005. Just remember Peter Skarsgard's acting being terrible. get nightmares now after watching horror movies, not sure why, maybe I'm older. But, used to watch around 20, and now it's more like 12-15.

Campfire Tales (1997) is what I am on now
It's the accent, he really stood out for how exaggerated it was compared to literally every other character!
:russ:

Campfire Tales is an anthology I used to love. It really takes me back to those old hand-me-down scary stories my older siblings and cousins would tell me.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List -
My dad's side of the family is from around that area in Louisiana and the Southern Gothic feel is just about as authentic as you can get.
Its honestly creepy as fukk down there.

I do wish we got more Southern Gothic horror that capitalized on the surroundings and history. Voodoo also feels untapped in some ways...but then, I don't think people would want to risk it the way I'd be interested in seeing a film. I want a voodoo version of "A Dark Song" but then I think about how tik tok'ers were dying trying to evoke Papa Legba and maybe that's why no one's tried.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Teacup” Release Schedule
Here’s the complete release schedule for all the episodes of “Teacup.”

Ep.1 – Oct. 10
Ep. 2 – Oct. 10
Ep. 3 – Oct. 17
Ep. 4 – Oct. 17
Ep. 5 – Oct. 24
Ep. 6 – Oct. 24
Ep. 7 – Oct. 31
Ep. 8 – Oct. 31

Hysteria tomorrow, also on Peacock.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
'Halloween' 2018. I hadn't watched this in a few years, I remember liking it more the first couple times I saw it. Maybe it's because we hadn't seen an actual decent 'Halloween' movie in a long time so I was grading it on a curve. The kills were solid, it's shot pretty well and JLC return to the franchise as a war ready grandmother with PTSD was pretty cool but it's not as good as I remember. I would probably still give it like a 7/10 though. It's not bad at all.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Now, 'The Prowler' 1981 is a pretty damn good little slasher. A lot more gruesome and bloody than I was expecting. Some decent practical effects on display and the tension is real solid throughout as well. No spoilers but there was also something in here that caught me off guard and I couldn't believe it did Lol. I think this is worth the watch.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

The one-shot horror movie is out. I'm always concerned this kinda gimmick will mean the plot gets forced and barebones...but I've seen it pulled off for a full season not too long ago (the mini-series Bargain on Paramount plays out like one long shot of an organ harvesting operation getting hit by a catastrophic earthquake...it's insane and great). So, I'll temper my expectations but give this movie a shot at some point this weekend.

I also got my Smile 2 tickets for tomorrow.