Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List -

18. The Witch (Max)

First off,
Black Phillip da GOAT! :russ:
His pimp hand was strong, had mad hoes choosing :dead:

this one is not a slow burn, it just smolders until the very end.
with a few sequences along the way that make you question your sanity
the witch, pulverizing the baby, the kids talking to black philip
at first it leads you just enough to think its just religious insanity, then........BOOM!
the old English accents, the tone, the isolation just adds to the overall sense of dread with this flick
you can tell Eggers is a Shining fan.
good movie.

but with that being said:

they need to do a horror flick about the 30-50 million Native Amiericans being wiped out
instead of portraying it like there was only Pocohantas, Tonto, Squanto and some cousins that just gave the religious nuts their land because they were friendly

yeah i said it :birdman:

aight , off the soapbox ... back to watching horror movies

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Anyone recognize these two movies? The links might look weird, but the site is safe. It's just Bilibili, the Chinese version of YouTube.

Movie 1

This image is from he first movie:
mxJwhNW.jpeg

Movie 2

From the 2nd one:
6iEwkJ2.jpeg

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List - Day 18 - The Witch (Max)
A family in 1630s New England is torn apart by the forces of witchcraft, black magic and possession.

Thanks to a massive amount of critical love, everyone knows the Witch. It's beautifully shot, with some seriously poetic dialogue and a cruel, unforgiving story. It really feels like you're in a godless place, where the family is prey to the dark forces around it. But the best part is how fleeting all the images of the witch are. More time is dedicated to the family's struggles with faith, grief, and fear.

I don't think Eggers has come close to matching this one tbh. I know it's not for everyone, but I think the cinematography, performances, and dialogue are enough to show why it's got so many accolades. I'm a big fan.

The List:
1. Triangle (Prime)
2. The Loved Ones (Paramount+)
3. Salem's Lot 2024 (Max)
4. Be My Cat: A Film for Anne (Tubi)
5. VHS Beyond (Shudder)
6. *Choose your own* - Haunt (2019)
7. Don't Go in the House (Tubi, Youtube)
8. Cure (Internet Archive)
9. Masque of the Red Death(Pluto/Apple TV+)
10. The Eyes of My Mother (Max)
11. Henry Portait of a Serial Killer (Peacock)
12. Curse of Chucky (Netflix)
13. *Choose your own*
14. Junk (2000) (Youtube)
15. Detention (2011) (Tubi)
16. Sleepaway Camp (Peacock)
17. The Skeleton Key(Peacock/Apple TV+)
18. The Witch (Max)

19. Brain Damage 1988 (Tubi)
20. *Choose your own*
21. Audition (Tubi)
22. J. D.'s Revenge(Tubi/Brown Sugar/Prime)
23. Dead Silence (Tubi)
24. Sinister (Max)
25. World War Z (Paramount Plus)
26. The Burbs (Youtube)
27. *Choose your own*
28. 28 Days Later
29. Black Christmas (Tubi)
30. The Shining(MAX/Apple TV+)
31. John Carpenter's Halloween

Next up, a great example of an 80's horror vibe that I don't think can ever be recaptured.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Anyone recognize these two movies? The links might look weird, but the site is safe. It's just Bilibili, the Chinese version of YouTube.

Movie 1

This image is from he first movie:
mxJwhNW.jpeg

Movie 2

From the 2nd one:
6iEwkJ2.jpeg

The first one is from One missed Call:

Honestly, that movie kinda sucks. It's from the Japanese remake era, but this is a case where the Japanese original version is a lot better.

The second one is Keeper of Darkness:

Never seen it tbh, but it looks interesting. I'm gonna see if I can find a copy to watch.

Last edited:

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
The first one is from One missed Call:

Honestly, that movie kinda sucks. It's from the Japanese remake era, but this is a case where the Japanese original version is a lot better.

The second one is Keeper of Darkness:

Never seen it tbh, but it looks interesting. I'm gonna see if I can find a copy to watch.

:salute:

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

19. Brain Damage 1988 (Tubi)

had to watch this a day early , going to a Comicon tomorrow :russ:

its 80's horror, so i am automatically biased towards it , i believe its the golden age of horror.

A Frank Henenlotter Classic
May actually rival the first Basket Case in terms of fukkery as well

one of the first Extreme body horror flicks i watched when i was younger
And the movie is so...........80's & low budget, but fun

thinly veiled anti drug message wrapped in unbridled fukkery
great FX and has quite a few scenes that just would not fly today .

the shout out to Basket Case on the subway was a nice touch

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
'The Conjuring.' I remembered very little about this as I hadn't seen it in forever. I'm sure everyone here has seen this, I think it really holds up and now some 11 years later... yeah, it deserves all the praise. I should make mention that I've been by the actual house and while it didn't seem all that "spooky" let me tell what was unsettling about it. The drive there. I went there with a chick I was with at the time, it wasn't planned, she knew some people out there but the drive up there was very weird. At one point we are riding along and the highway narrows into a tight and narrow two lanes and had these spooky ass "Sleepy Hollow" type trees on both sides of the road. It wasn't quite dark yet but between the trees and the overcast it was difficult to see in spots, no lights and no traffic at all. For a moment we were driving along with nobody around, just us and the spooky trees to the sides.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I had to catch up today. I was gonna watch more stuff yesterday but I watched The Shadow Strays(fukking great) and the latest episode of Agatha. I fell asleep like 4 times trying to watch the last episode of Agatha so I just said fukk it and turned my tv off:lolbron:.

Sleepaway Camp

This movie succeeds in 3 things: The comedy(intentional or not), the feeling of being at camp, and the memorable characters.

16. Sleepaway Camp (Peacock)

My cousin..... to this day ...

swears Ricky killed Judy... and that is his silhouette in the door during her murder scene

I watched the movie with the commentary from Felicia Rose and Jonathan Tiersten. Jonathan said in every scene where someone gets killed by Angela its him. They made him wear a wig in the shot of him standing at the door. They talked about how on some old copies its harder to tell it was him. Even the scene where the guy gets killed by bees, its him cutting the screen door.

The Skeleton Key

Its alright. Its been awhile since I saw it too. I'm surprised Kate Hudson didn't do more horror movies. Its still much much better than her brother's movie Night Swim.

The Witch

Watching it for a 3rd or 4th time made it a lot easier to understand what they were saying in each scene. The first time I watched the movie I had to pause it and put subtitles on. Robert Eggers can really put you in the time period that a movie takes place.

I liked that the wife likened her situation to Job, which I'd assume the story gained inspiration. This watchthrough I caught that the family, minus the husband, enjoyed living in England. William was a hardcore christian to believe that the protestants that left England weren't dedicated enough. I fully believe the twins were influenced by Black Phillip before the movie starts. I also believe Satan did everything to this family because he was bored and wanted to see a family that followed God fail. I agree with Thomasin, William was only good at praying and chopping wood:mjlol:

I want to watch another witch movie but I've already seen these within a year. I still want to see something new:

Hocus Pocus
The Witches of Eastwick
Suspiria 2018 & 1977
Inferno
The Black Cat/Demons 6 1989
Mother of Tears(before I said enough of this bs)
Pumpkinhead
The Love Witch
The Craft
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Warlock
Warlock: The Armageddon(Fun as fukk like Wishmaster)
Warlock III: The End of Innocence

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
You do not want to watch Hocus Pocus....unless you have a serious childhood connection or something

Went to Rooftop Cinema Club with a long time girl friend in October 2022, and it was unbearably bad. Didn't say much because it was her choice, and she's not the type to intellectually analyze a childhood favorite. but, it wasn't funny, scary, it was retarded.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It's that time again for 'I Know What You Did Last Summer.' I can't say this is a classic or even a 'great' slasher but it's wildly entertaining. The cast is a host of all-stars from the 90's like Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar in their primes along with Freddie Prinze Jr., Ryan Phillippe and Johnny Galecki. The women are looking fantastic in this. The thing that trips me out is how Ryan Phillippe didn't become a bigger star. He had a little run sure but he's such a great heel. He's a complete unhinged a$$hole in this from the very beginning Lol. This is very 90's and feels somewhat dated by that but it's certainly rewatchable and I have several times.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I had to catch up today. I was gonna watch more stuff yesterday but I watched The Shadow Strays(fukking great) and the latest episode of Agatha. I fell asleep like 4 times trying to watch the last episode of Agatha so I just said fukk it and turned my tv off:lolbron:.

Sleepaway Camp

This movie succeeds in 3 things: The comedy(intentional or not), the feeling of being at camp, and the memorable characters.

I watched the movie with the commentary from Felicia Rose and Jonathan Tiersten. Jonathan said in every scene where someone gets killed by Angela its him. They made him wear a wig in the shot of him standing at the door. They talked about how on some old copies its harder to tell it was him. Even the scene where the guy gets killed by bees, its him cutting the screen door.

The Skeleton Key

Its alright. Its been awhile since I saw it too. I'm surprised Kate Hudson didn't do more horror movies. Its still much much better than her brother's movie Night Swim.

The Witch

Watching it for a 3rd or 4th time made it a lot easier to understand what they were saying in each scene. The first time I watched the movie I had to pause it and put subtitles on. Robert Eggers can really put you in the time period that a movie takes place.

I liked that the wife likened her situation to Job, which I'd assume the story gained inspiration. This watchthrough I caught that the family, minus the husband, enjoyed living in England. William was a hardcore christian to believe that the protestants that left England weren't dedicated enough. I fully believe the twins were influenced by Black Phillip before the movie starts. I also believe Satan did everything to this family because he was bored and wanted to see a family that followed God fail. I agree with Thomasin, William was only good at praying and chopping wood:mjlol:

I want to watch another witch movie but I've already seen these within a year. I still want to see something new:

Hocus Pocus
The Witches of Eastwick
Suspiria 2018 & 1977
Inferno
The Black Cat/Demons 6 1989
Mother of Tears(before I said enough of this bs)
Pumpkinhead
The Love Witch
The Craft
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Warlock
Warlock: The Armageddon(Fun as fukk like Wishmaster)
Warlock III: The End of Innocence
Here's a few options that aren't bad:

The Wretched isn't gonna blow anyone away, but it does everything well enough. It's decent.

Beezel is technically a witch movie and I was surprised at how good it turned out.

The Witch in the Window is solid too. Mainly because it's got a short enough run time that the couple of good scares are all it needs to be worthwhile.

Beezel's the best one of that list IMO. But they're all solid witch-themed horrors.