Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Found a 2010's K-Horror that takes the tropes of the Korean Revenge films from the 00's and capitalizes on them to build a really compelling mystery with one hell of a payoff. Hide and Seek

I feel like the less I say about the plot, the better. But the basics are that a successful man receives news that his delinquent brother has been missing. At the same time, someone appears to be watching his family and getting closer every day. Now, he has to face his past and figure out what's going on in order to protect his family.

It starts a bit slow, but that helps build the mystery. Around 40 mins in, it kicks everything up a gear and never really turns back. It's a stressful, thrilling experience with some familiar themes but a unique spin. I really enjoyed it!

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Had a couple vacation days to burn through so yesterday i watched May The Devil Take You and May The Devil Take You Too. I had them on kind of in the backround and all i can say is this demon was terrorizing these people for 2 whole movies. :laff: I'd say these movies are kind of in the same category of Evil Dead.

Also, I just got back from seeing Last Voyage of the Demeter. 7/10. It's a safe undertaking of Dracula. There's nothing necessarily bad about the movie, but they don't take any risks or add anything to the Dracula mythos. I will say this movie looked good visually, maybe I was expecting it to be cheaper, but it was aight. The only thing that was cheap was the fire. But yeah the word i would use for this movie is "safe".

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Had a couple vacation days to burn through to yesterday i watched May The Devil Take You and May The Devil Take You Too. I had them on kind of in the backroom and all i can say is this demon was terrorizing these people for 2 whole movies. :laff: I'd say these movies are kind of in the same category of Evil Dead.

Also, I just got back from seeing Last Voyage of the Demeter. 7/10. It's a safe undertaking of Dracula. There's nothing necessarily bad about the movie, but they don't take any risks or add anything to the Dracula mythos. I will say this movie looked good visually, maybe I was expecting it to be cheaper, but i was aight. The only thing that was cheap was the fire. But yeah the word i would use for this movie is "safe".

I loved May the Devil Take You. The opening for May the Devil Take You Too is pretty crazy too (bit of Evil Dead, Deadites vibe). Those joints and Queen of Black Magic are some quality horror out of Indonesia! Aggressive stuff...

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
That whole era was so wild. Re-Animator and From Beyond were the Lovecraft horror :mjlol: . Throw in Basketcase and Society for good measure. The 80's was wild. CastleFreak is 90's but I'd include it with that batch of madness too.
Recommend any other crazy ass movies like Basket Case and Re-Animator. I like all that off the wall, gorey shyt.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Recommend any other crazy ass movies like Basket Case and Re-Animator. I like all that off the wall, gorey shyt.

Those are hard to top. I connect Basket Case the most with "sexual urges lead to ridiculous murder sequences" so that'd be Castle Freak and for a couple other early 80's types that I think fit, Bloody Moon and Beyond the Darkness are sleepers. I should warn though, they are VERY 80's.

Re-Animator is even harder to match for me. I'd def go straight to Bride of Re-Animator (not as good, but they still have the vibe) and From Beyond; but there's a good chance you've already seen 'em. I think Scanners could kinda fit, the practical effects and gore are so wild
DimpledLongChimneyswift-size_restricted.gif

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Those are hard to top. I connect Basket Case the most with "sexual urges lead to ridiculous murder sequences" so that'd be Castle Freak and for a couple other early 80's types that I think fit, Bloody Moon and Beyond the Darkness are sleepers. I should warn though, they are VERY 80's.

Re-Animator is even harder to match for me. I'd def go straight to Bride of Re-Animator (not as good, but they still have the vibe) and From Beyond; but there's a good chance you've already seen 'em. I think Scanners could kinda fit, the practical effects and gore are so wild
DimpledLongChimneyswift-size_restricted.gif
I’ve only seen Scanners. I’m thinking of blind buying From Beyond; maybe Bride if I can find it.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Brain damage (1988)

and its from the same person that made basket case, Frank Henenlotter

oh he also made this classic too

Frankenhooker (1990)

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps

From serious to comedic

The Thing
Into the Mouth of Madness
Event Horizon
Leviathan
The Blob 88
Society
Slither
Night of the Creeps
Braindead (Dead Alive)
Return of the Living Dead

Newer movie The Void. I didn't really like thiss but a lot of people like it for w/e reason.

Movies on my watchlist that I haven't seen. Maybe other people can vouch for these movies.
Demons
Night of the Demons
The Resurrected
Night of the Comet
The Curse

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Brain damage (1988)

and its from the same person that made basket case, Frank Henenlotter

oh he also made this classic too

Frankenhooker (1990)

I thought about mentioning these two, but I haven't seen them myself. I know Brain Damage is mentioned like CRAZY and one that I've been meaning to watch for a long time. This is a good reminder for me.