Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Antichrist:

This had some crazy scenes. The prologue alone is :picard: in more ways than one; I was not expecting full on penetration to be seen. :merchant:

The scissor scene was hard to watch. :damn: :damn: :damn:

I donā€™t think it was flat out said, but the woman was a devil worshipper, right?

Movie is nonsensical as hell because the original plot (God is dead and Satan rules the world....which is basically the plot of "Grandia 2", but I digress) was leaked by a studio executive so Von Trier just threw some shyt out to finish the movie.

Fred.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
What do you mean by that? When I think Conjuring movies, I think well-crafted jump scares, visible haunts, and enclosed settings. But I don't get any of that from this.
I dunno if it was the way the trailer was edited or what, but the whole ā€œbody and the bloodā€ bit with the possessed girl walking down the church aisle felt kinda goofy and akin to something that would happen in a trailer for a Conjuring spin-off.

Not saying itā€™s awful, but the trailer isnā€™t necessarily moving the needle for me either. Would be happy to eat crow.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps

Gonna try to make time to check this out...

I read a good review on slashfilm the other day. It was the first I heard of it. Lizzy Caplan was great in Fatal Attraction and we know Antony Starr can play a maniac with the best of em as Homelander.

What "Cobweb" does that this summer's other kids-in-peril horror movie, "The Boogeyman," struggled to do is put us inside the mind of a psychologically tormented child. Directed by first-time feature filmmaker Samuel Bodin, written by Chris Thomas Devlin ("Texas Chainsaw Massacre"), and photographed by Philip Lozano ("Blood Machines"), the film portrays Peter's world as a non-stop episodic nightmare featuring adults who cannot be trusted, children who ostracize him, and an empty house with no distractions, no entertainments, and oblique angles where evil surely dwells.

"Cobweb" is the full package, a serious horror movie with a satisfying supernatural punch, simultaneously subtle and overbearing. It's exactly the kind of horror film, like "Skinamarink" or "Malignant," that could easily find an appreciative audience willing to spread word of mouth and make it, if not a blockbuster, at least a respectable sleeper hit with enough acclaim to help it find a bigger audience in the future.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I dunno if it was the way the trailer was edited or what, but the whole ā€œbody and the bloodā€ bit with the possessed girl walking down the church aisle felt kinda goofy and akin to something that would happen in a trailer for a Conjuring spin-off.

Not saying itā€™s awful, but the trailer isnā€™t necessarily moving the needle for me either. Would be happy to eat crow.
Granted, I think it looked a bit goofy too. But I think that's a pretty clear reference to a scene from the original

I'm more concerned that this will be nostalgia bait and ripoff the OG Exorcist beat for beat but with two possessed girls instead of one. They even have the hospital failure bit. I see a bit of Conjuring 4's color-palette (which I think is way overused in modern big budget horror), but I don't see much else similar to the Blumhouse formula.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I read a good review on slashfilm the other day. It was the first I heard of it. Lizzy Caplan was great in Fatal Attraction and we know Antony Starr can play a maniac with the best of em as Homelander.

I didn't get to go see it, but I definitely want to see it in a theater to support. New original horror that makes to the theaters needs all the love we can give it, especially while the genre's got momentum.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Granted, I think it looked a bit goofy too. But I think that's a pretty clear reference to a scene from the original

I'm more concerned that this will be nostalgia bait and ripoff the OG Exorcist beat for beat but with two possessed girls instead of one. They even have the hospital failure bit. I see a bit of Conjuring 4's color-palette (which I think is way overused in modern big budget horror), but I don't see much else similar to the Blumhouse formula.

Yeah, Iā€™m not messing with that color palette either. I just feel like something like this needs to separate itself better visually from the most recent possession films.

But man, after Halloween Ends, my expectations are already low. If David Gordon Green can give us at least one good film out of the three then Iā€™d consider it a dub.:pachaha:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yeah, Iā€™m not messing with that color palette either. Something like this needs to separate itself better visually from the most recent possession films.

But man, after Halloween Ends, my expectations are already low. If David Gordon Green can give us at least one good film out of the three then Iā€™d consider it a dub.:pachaha:
I saw someone say the new Halloween trilogy work solid on their own but completely fall apart as a trilogy. That kinda vibed with me. Halloween Ends coulda been something but they got shook and ruined the ending. If it ended with a new Michael riding off to some unknown town, I think it woulda been way better (still highly flawed but at least with risks taken).

I wish they'd take more cues from Exorcist 3. I don't think you can recreate Exorcist 1's energy. I'm digging the premise though. Regan coming back to face the demon that possessed her is a very cool idea if they execute...but you're right to be skeptical, execution is far from guaranteed.

Lucha Vandross

Rhythm & High Spots
Daps
Trailer came across like an Exorcist movie set in the Conjuring ā€œuniverseā€. Dunno how I feel about that.
Agreed. Like it seems too clean. I get it, big modern budget and all but it needs to feel more lo-fi.

Last edited:

Lucha Vandross

Rhythm & High Spots
Daps
I saw someone say the new Halloween trilogy work solid on their own but completely fall apart as a trilogy. That kinda vibed with me. Halloween Ends coulda been something but they got shook and ruined the ending. If it ended with a new Michael riding off to some unknown town, I think it woulda been way better (still highly flawed but at least with risks taken).

I wish they'd take more cues from Exorcist 3. I don't think you can recreate Exorcist 1's energy. I'm digging the premise though. Regan coming back to face the demon that possessed her is a very cool idea if they execute...but you're right to be skeptical, execution is far from guaranteed.
What's hilarious is that this premise was already played out in season 1 of the TV series. Only thing is they had Geena Davis playing the adult Reagan role.