Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
@storyteller Had a really fun time with Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum. Most of the newer found footage films mid-way through have me questioning my time spent, but this one kept me engaged all the way through.

Dug the fact it relied more on tension-building rather than jump-scares, and familiarizing the audiences with the cast in what felt like a slow first half made those crazy, grim moments later on hit harder. Also, utilizing the drone as a way to establish overarching sky shots was a clever move.

Ha-Joon’s crazy ass shared the same sentiments as me: the women killed it on the “show”. Give them their flowers. Charlotte was my MVP.

It always breaks my heart whenever the smartest character out of the bunch ends up suffering the worst fate imaginable. :mjcry:

I think the scene that got me the most was when Ha-Joon counted up all six of his crew members and realized there was a seventh “person” filming alongside the entire time. Spooked the fukk outta me.

Could see the whispering lady being nightmare fuel for others too. It was creepy for sure, and somewhat hilarious at the same time. :dead:

Those damn phantom hands…that shyt always gets me.

the-conjuring-clapping.gif

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
@storyteller Had a really fun time with Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum. Most of the newer found footage films mid-way through have me questioning my time spent, but this one kept me engaged all the way through.

Dug the fact it relied more on tension-building rather than jump-scares, and familiarizing the audiences with the cast in what felt like a slow first half made those crazy, grim moments later on hit harder. Also, utilizing the drone as a way to establish overarching sky shots was a clever move.

Ha-Joon’s crazy ass shared the same sentiments as me: the women killed it on the “show”. Give them their flowers. Charlotte was my MVP.

It always breaks my heart whenever the smartest character out of the bunch ends up suffering the worst fate imaginable. :mjcry:

I think the scene that got me the most was when Ha-Joon counted up all six of his crew members and realized there was a seventh “person” filming alongside the entire time. Spooked the fukk outta me.

Could see the whispering lady being nightmare fuel for others too. It was creepy for sure, and somewhat hilarious at the same time. :dead:

Those damn phantom hands…that shyt always gets me.

the-conjuring-clapping.gif

100% Co-sign. It starts off like some normal filming, which can lose me normally. But this one actually helped lower my guard when things started escalating and character reactions made sense for how we knew them.

Skipping the jump scares for slow, tense scenes was my favorite aspect. So, I'm glad you caught that. It's one thing for a rapid jump scare, but it's a different animal when the creature/ghost/whatever doesn't leave your view but just approaches closer and closer.

And this image lives in my head rent-free when people mention memorable horror moments
shhhhh.gif

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I'm gonna check out Jennifer's Body sometime. Didn't know what the fukk this movie was trying to be from the TV spots. The article pointed out a big reason why I put it off for so long: Megan Fox. Never got the hype around her, didn't do anything for me in Transformers, and yet one of the most talked about topics around the time this came out was her kissing scene with Amanda Seyfried. I remember watching the VMAs on MTV (:snoop: ) and they big'd this shyt up so hard. :unimpressed:

But the fact it has the same director of The Invitation got me intrigued. Perhaps there's more substance to this film than I originally thought.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
If you watch one horror movie this year
make sure its not this one

Manifesting Evil (2022)
A Marine Corps drill instructor with a damaged past falls victim to a curse by two recruits, exposing his fears and sending him into a demonic possession that connects to his dark childhood trauma.

I wanted this to be good , but its just disrespectful to horror movie fans with how bad this is.
story is dull acting is bad and it gets really boring in the middle

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I'm gonna check out Jennifer's Body sometime. Didn't know what the fukk this movie was trying to be from the TV spots. The article pointed out a big reason why I put it off for so long: Megan Fox. Never got the hype around her, didn't do anything for me in Transformers, and yet one of the most talked about topics around the time this came out was her kissing scene with Amanda Seyfried. I remember watching the VMAs on MTV (:snoop: ) and they big'd this shyt up so hard. :unimpressed:

But the fact it has the same director of The Invitation got me intrigued. Perhaps there's more substance to this film than I originally thought.
JB is decent/solid. Don’t remember much besides it being a revenge film.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
JB is decent/solid. Don’t remember much besides it being a revenge film.
I remember it coming out when HS was still a fresh memory for me and my GF at the time. I remember we enjoyed it for its sense of humor. It was ahead of its time, super meta. Ironically, all of the sarcastic inclusions were what they marketed the movie as.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I finally watched Infinity Pool, and my main thought is "Cronenberg def does shrooms." It's a weird movie with a really cool premise, but feels a bit like Cronenberg working through some things.

A struggling writer is on vacation bankrolled by his rich GF. He and his wife get into an accident and he's sentenced for execution. But on this island, if you have enough money you can pay to be cloned and they'll execute your clone. The only rule is you have to watch...

Giving away anything else kinda takes away from the trippy experience. On its surface, it's a chaotic bugout that makes just enough sense for you to piece together on reflection. Not scary, but thoughtful and reflective horror can stick with you too. Ego death, vulture tourism, and cult-like mindbreaking all have pretty clear motifs.

It's a pretty bugged-out movie, and I like the young Cronenberg's penchant for really unique plots. I prefer Possessor, but Brandon Cronenberg could wind up being a really fun auteur to follow.