Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Got my eye out on this. Overworked and bullied office worker is :blessed: when he founds out his town is overtaken by zombies.

Based on an anime which came out yesterday and broadcasting on Netflix/Hulu/Crunchyroll

The first episode of the anime is REALLY good. I'ma watch the season of the anime before I peep the live-action, just in case there's spoilers.

Speaking of anime, Joe Bob's Drive-in had Perfect Blue this past week. It's a GREAT thriller. I didn't realize that Darren Aronofsky ripped off shots and concepts from Perfect Blue whole cloth until Joe bob mentioned it.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps

I'm gonna have to revisit Serial Experiments Lain one day. I was a kid when I watched it the first time and didn't really get it.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
I'm gonna have to revisit Serial Experiments Lain one day. I was a kid when I watched it the first time and didn't really get it.
I legit forgot horror anime was a legit subgenre
in college, some dudes put me on and we watched all the time , but around 2008-2012 , i guess i got too grown for cartoons and quit
there's some legit fukked up horror anime out there.

Demon slayer restoring the feeling , even though its more fantasy he horror elements are great. :banderas:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
in college, some dudes put me on and we watched all the time , but around 2008-2012 , i guess i got too grown for cartoons and quit

Demon slayer restoring the feeling , even though its more fantasy he horror elements are great. :banderas:

Yeah, there's some good stuff. I've seen a few on that list. Devilman Crybaby is legit and so is Hellsing Ultimate but the way you feel about Demon Slayer is how I feel about it.

And then there's Wicked City.... :skip: I might need to watch that again too because I remember it being more dark fantasy JBO than horror.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

I never categorize Serial Experiments Lain as horror, but it definitely has sci-fi horror vibes. It's GREAT.

Another weird one that nails the uncanny valley is Boogiepop Phantom. Serial Experiments Lain and Boogiepop Phantom use to run on a channel G4TV and I'd watch both.

Another GREAT psychological thriller is Paranoia Agent...just peep this creepy opening

Then for a more recent joint that is 100% worth watching and deserves more attention. Go on Hulu and check out the first two episodes of Summertime Rendering. It's basically an anime take on Invasion of the Bodysnatchers and it's fantastic. But it's also slept on.

What's unfortunate is the best horror mangaka imo is Junji Ito. There have been two attempts at making anime from his stories and they've both been awful. It's like his work is meant to be left on the pages of a manga. I've referenced this story before but there's a story of his called the Enigma of Amigahara fault that absolutely filled me with existential dread when I read it...

And for one last random note about Japanese anime/manga horror. Here's a pretty wild story, though the video is long. There are two manga based on a truly horrific crime that really happened. If @Nicole0416_718_929_646212 were still around, I'd have posted this sooner since she loves the true story horror stuff.

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Recent horror I've watched:
The angry black girl and her monster: I love that they took Frankenstein and modernized it. This is a message-heavy movie, and I mean they straight exposition out a lot of the themes and messages to make sure it all comes through. I usually hate that kinda thing and feel it's insulting to the audience, but I kinda think it's useful for this media to reach certain groups that do need things spelled out for 'em.

The Blackening: The Cabin in the Woods comparison is pretty on point. I found it pretty funny, and really enjoyed it. I kinda wish they kept the tension of the game and the timer going, because some of the "slasher in the woods" gags felt more commonplace. But either way, this was fun.

Lured: There were some cool ideas, but the acting and some of the plotting fell short. This plot banks on dumb character decisions a bit too much. But the director did a hell of a job with clearly limited resources. So there are some great uses of background action and creepy behavior that make it worth a watch for found footage heads.

Shirley: The concept behind this pulled me in, but it's a bit disappointing. Its main characters are a college couple that spend time with Shirley Jackson and her husband. Shirley Jackson is a real-life author who wrote The Lottery aka one of my favorite horror short stories of all time. But this movie really makes her seem like a bad person and her husband looks even worse. Idk if that's true, but the plot is meandering and this isn't really a horror...it's sort of a thriller more like a drama.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
I never categorize Serial Experiments Lain as horror, but it definitely has sci-fi horror vibes. It's GREAT.

Another weird one that nails the uncanny valley is Boogiepop Phantom. Serial Experiments Lain and Boogiepop Phantom use to run on a channel G4TV and I'd watch both.

Another GREAT psychological thriller is Paranoia Agent...just peep this creepy opening

Then for a more recent joint that is 100% worth watching and deserves more attention. Go on Hulu and check out the first two episodes of Summertime Rendering. It's basically an anime take on Invasion of the Bodysnatchers and it's fantastic. But it's also slept on.

What's unfortunate is the best horror mangaka imo is Junji Ito. There have been two attempts at making anime from his stories and they've both been awful. It's like his work is meant to be left on the pages of a manga. I've referenced this story before but there's a story of his called the Enigma of Amigahara fault that absolutely filled me with existential dread when I read it...

And for one last random note about Japanese anime/manga horror. Here's a pretty wild story, though the video is long. There are two manga based on a truly horrific crime that really happened. If @Nicole0416_718_929_646212 were still around, I'd have posted this sooner since she loves the true story horror stuff.

I think monster is more thriller but damn it got some legit chilling shyt in it

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I think monster is more thriller but damn it got some legit chilling shyt in it
Monster is a classic. The author, Urasawa, is one my top-three mangaka of all time. I'd definitely count it a thriller but with really creepy moments.

Urasawa's got another story coming to Netflix. It's not horror, though it should have a few scenes that drift in that direction and it includes a character that feels like it HAD to be inspired by Hannibal Lecter. It's called Pluto, and it's my favorite story he's ever written (most people like Monster better though)

Edit: I found the trailer

Last edited:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Monster is a classic. The author, Urasawa, is one my top-three mangaka of all time. I'd definitely count it a thriller but with really creepy moments.

Urasawa's got another story coming to Netflix. It's not horror, though it should have a few scenes that drift in that direction and it includes a character that feels like it HAD to be inspired by Hannibal Lecter. It's called Pluto, and it's my favorite story he's ever written (most people like Monster better though)
:ohhh: I'm checking this for sure