Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
- The ropes held LSC up in the second round and Frampton should have been credited with a KD.
depends on whether there is a standing 8 rule in effect

- Doesn't think we need a tournament for Frampton, LSC, Selby, and GRJ, because he believes they will naturally make matches with each other and all are with Haymon.
they should do a tournament..it would be dope

- Still has Vargas vs. Salido as his best fight of the year. Frampton vs. LSC is second.
agreed with his leadin FOTY choice, but Frampton-LSC isnt better than Thurman-Porter

- It is up to Arum to get Crawford another fight on HBO this fall. Wouldn't be shocked to see him take his mandatory vs. Orozco.
Terrible fight after what i saw from orozco last week

- Putting Lomachenko vs. Salido 2 as the co-feature to Pacquiao vs. Vargas would be a good idea.
agreed

- Crolla vs. Linares will be on AWE (formerly WealthTV).
WealthTV :lawd:

- More awful to watch: Rigo or John Ruiz? Rigo.
Rigo has actually had offensively interesting fights, Ruiz was an cancer on the heavyweight division

- No news if Glowacki vs. Usyk will be on US TV.
Somebody better correct this

- Joshua's next fight won't be in the US, but his first fight in 2017 could be.
Oluwafemi in America :myman:

- If you could buy only 1 PPV he prefers Ward-Kovalev over Canelo-Smith and Pacquiao-Vargas.
out of those canelo-smith isnt getting bought by me..fukk that

- Hopkins still says he wants one more fight.
bhop needs to sit down...we need him training fighters

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I wouldn't say ALL that now :heh:

You wouldn't, but I would.

Due to the ring rust (for both fighters) and Thurman coming off an injury, in addition to Porter being prone to rough fights.....there were a bunch of cats in here that lowered their expectations for that fight.

Sure we all hoped it'd be good, but FOTY contender.....Nah..

Just keeping it real. As fans we still won.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Vargas got a gift over khabib ajshfjkjklhawerov that Biscuits took a paper title off of, why do you think he'd give Crawford a good fight ? :heh:

Styles make fights, that's why.

I mean nobody expected him to beat Ali. He looked tailor made for him and we saw how that went.

There's cats here that think Swift got a gift against Herrera and Peterson, but if we use your logic we would still count him out automatically against the likes of Thurman, Brook, Broner in potential match ups. Pretty much disregard the wins over Khan, Matthysse, ****, etc...

When I say shyt like so and so can be a good fight, that doesn't necessarily mean a close 115-113 type bout. It just means it can be entertaining and competitive.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Andre Ward hasn't fought a noteworthy opponent in 4 years. After the Super Six and the Dawson fight he was well on his way. Then it's a year to fight Edwin Rodriguez, and basically two years to fight Paul Smith. No one on the come up (star wise) can have a 4 year lull between big fights and continue rising. And let's be clear, it's not like Andre is Roy Jones'ing these dudes out of here. He can be a good fighter to watch, but not one that the casual viewer will ever shell out money to see slap up just another top ten contender.

Before his fight with Burgos people were drawing parallels between Mikey's MSG debut and Oscar's, two years of nothing later and his comeback fight is on an undercard.

The Kovalev fight should get Andre back to where he was in 2012, after that he's gotta stay active and have another big fight around the corner to build from that. Dude is 32 with PPV star potential, if his next fight after Kovalev is Rodriguez or Brand situation in Oakland, then he's playing himself again. He needs to do what no has been able to do thus far and dial up a LHW unification fight.

He does not have PPV star potential, which is okay.

The PPV guys are Mayweather, Pac, Canelo, & Cotto if its against the right guy.

If it isn't those four guys, for a PPV to work it has to be the right fight.

As I've said before, it is okay to be a boxing star that makes 2-4 million a fight. That's a major accomplishment.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
He does not have PPV star potential, which is okay.

The PPV guys are Mayweather, Pac, Canelo, & Cotto if its against the right guy.

If it isn't those four guys, for a PPV to work it has to be the right fight.

As I've said before, it is okay to be a boxing star that makes 2-4 million a fight. That's a major accomplishment.
That's such a ridiculous statement. You say that like there is some ordinance that mandates there shall be no other PPV fighters. Mayweather is the most unlikely PPV star ever, and here we are after nearly a decade of PPV records being set by him. Andre Ward is arguably the greatest fighter in the world, and thus, he absolutely has PPV star potential. If Andre's career wouldn't have gone off the rails in 2012 he'd have atleast 2-3 PPV fights under his belt right now.

If all goes to plan, he'll have a PPV fight with Kovalev this year. And after that, he SHOULD be right back in on PPV against Adonis. If he has two PPV fights in a row and becomes the unified and linear light-heavyweight champion in a row and undisputed P4P #1, guess what? His next fight after that will be on PPV, too.

But really, it's on Andre. HE'S the one with this potential, so he ultimately has to be the one willing to do anything to get there.

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
You wouldn't, but I would.

Due to the ring rust (for both fighters) and Thurman coming off an injury, in addition to Porter being prone to rough fights.....there were a bunch of cats in here that lowered their expectations for that fight.

Sure we all hoped it'd be good, but FOTY contender.....Nah..

Just keeping it real. As fans we still won.

I only remember harlemal saying it would full of ring rust.

I always was excited for that fight...but didn't think it would foty. then again I didn't know 2016 boxing schedule would be shytty in certain parts either.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I only remember harlemal saying it would full of ring rust.

I always was excited for that fight...but didn't think it would foty. then again I didn't know 2016 boxing schedule would be shytty in certain parts either.

I can't front. I don't remember actual names, but I recall seeing more than a couple saying it had struggle potential.

I don't do all that thread scuba diving bringing up old posts and shyt though so :manny:

With that said, nikkas were still excited for it (I know I still was) and we got a great fight between big names in a popular division.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's such a ridiculous statement. You say that like there is some ordinance that mandates there shall be no other PPV fighters. Mayweather is the most unlikely PPV star ever, and here we are after nearly a decade of PPV records being set by him. Andre Ward is arguably the greatest fighter in the world, and thus, he absolutely has PPV star potential. If Andre's career wouldn't have gone off the rails in 2012 he'd have atleast 2-3 PPV fights under his belt right now.

If all goes to plan, he'll have a PPV fight with Kovalev this year. And after that, he SHOULD be right back in on PPV against Adonis. If he has two PPV fights in a row and becomes the unified and linear light-heavyweight champion in a row and undisputed P4P #1, guess what? His next fight after that will be on PPV, too.

But really, it's on Andre. HE'S the one with this potential, so he ultimately has to be the one willing to do anything to get there.

It isn't a ridiculous statement.

Becoming a PPV star is damn near impossible. Mayweather had several things going for him to become a PPV star. He was actually obsessed with becoming a PPV star. If you have ever had an obsession, you know its something that consumes you. He was saying at 135 he wanted to fight Oscar. This was when Oscar was at 154. Floyd took the initiative to actually make it happen, unlike other fighters that don't do shyt. He did the WWE, Dancing with the stars, Money Mayweather persona, beat Oscar, etc to increase his profile and marketability to the casual fan. 24-7 was actually his idea as well.

Floyd has actual opponents that range from 135-154 that he can actually create a PPV with.

This can be viewed as subjective. However, despite how boring the casual fan says Mayweather is, he is perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing fighter to watch. The way he fights is absolutely pleasing to eye. That is a clear advantage he has over other "pure" boxers.

I think Ward is a boxing star. However, I don't think he will ever be a PPV star. I do think he will have some ppv appearances if its the right fight, like Hopkins did.

Me & you probably have a completely different point of view when it comes to a PPV star. I view a PPV star as a guy that will NEVER fight on free tv again. From my point of view, I do not view Cotto as a PPV star for the simple fact that he occasionally has to fight on regular hbo. I don't think Ward will ever be a bigger star than Cotto.

Your also making an assumption that Ward-Kovalev even does well. Yes I clearly acknowledge it's a huge fight for boxing. If Crawford-Postol can get a PPV, then Ward-Kovalev can. However we gotta be honest here. It should be on HBO Championship boxing. Not on PPV.

Last edited:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Bob not stupid t craw barely got past gamboa moving up to ww is a dumb move for t craw. He might get exposed at that weight
imo you're dead wrong in this and you rely waaaay too much on that one moment against Gambo, I think for Crawford that Gamboa fight will be the same as the Boone fight was for Ward, people will still bring up 10 years later even if he woN't go down againt much more serious ad powerful contenders :mjlol: And he didn't even knocked down by Gamboa, just got tagged by a good clean punch... :mjlol:

Okay, we will see at the end of the day I guess