Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I forgot that fool may did dancing with the stars...some of the funniest shyt to me lol:mjlol:

also remember he supposedly broke big show jaw in that wwe shyt....lol:dead:

Floyd was really determined to become a star. These other nyggas want to fight on PPV, don't even want to hype their fights. People forget how hard he was grinding.

I think Broner has the type of personality and appeal to be a ppv fighter, but he's not a good enough fighter. You have to be viewed as unbeatable, which is what Ward does have going for him.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It isn't a ridiculous statement.

Becoming a PPV star is damn near impossible. Mayweather had several things going for him to become a PPV star. He was actually obsessed with becoming a PPV star. If you have ever had an obsession, you know its something that consumes you. He was saying at 135 he wanted to fight Oscar. This was when Oscar was at 154. Floyd took the initiative to actually make it happen, unlike other fighters that don't do shyt. He did the WWE, Dancing with the stars, Money Mayweather persona, beat Oscar, etc to increase his profile and marketability to the casual fan. 24-7 was actually his idea as well.

Floyd has actual opponents that range from 135-154 that he can actually create a PPV with.

This can be viewed as subjective. However, despite how boring the casual fan says Mayweather is, he is perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing fighter to watch. The way he fights is absolutely pleasing to eye. That is a clear advantage he has over other "pure" boxers.

I think Ward is a boxing star. However, I don't think he will ever be a PPV star. I do think he will have some ppv appearances if its the right fight, like Hopkins did.

Me & you probably have a completely different point of view when it comes to a PPV star. I view a PPV star as a guy that will NEVER fight on free tv again. From my point of view, I do not view Cotto as a PPV star for the simple fact that he occasionally has to fight on regular hbo. I don't think Ward will ever be a bigger star than Cotto.

Your also making an assumption that Ward-Kovalev even does well. Yes I clearly acknowledge it's a huge fight for boxing. If Crawford-Postol can get a PPV, then Ward-Kovalev can. However we gotta be honest here. It should be on HBO Championship boxing. Not on PPV.

Good points

there isn't an Oscar in Ward division

Roy jones was never a PPV star, but he was a boxing star

Tide Run This

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Garnet N Gold
Floyd was grinding his ass to be the man respect his hustle these other cats cool getting they guaranteed money Floyd was pissed about Britney Spears being plastered all over the hotel instead of him vs JLC way back in 02 he had already called Arum out saying he should be bigger than this.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Andre Ward hasn't fought a noteworthy opponent in 4 years. After the Super Six and the Dawson fight he was well on his way. Then it's a year to fight Edwin Rodriguez, and basically two years to fight Paul Smith. No one on the come up (star wise) can have a 4 year lull between big fights and continue rising. And let's be clear, it's not like Andre is Roy Jones'ing these dudes out of here. He can be a good fighter to watch, but not one that the casual viewer will ever shell out money to see slap up just another top ten contender.

Before his fight with Burgos people were drawing parallels between Mikey's MSG debut and Oscar's, two years of nothing later and his comeback fight is on an undercard.

The Kovalev fight should get Andre back to where he was in 2012, after that he's gotta stay active and have another big fight around the corner to build from that. Dude is 32 with PPV star potential, if his next fight after Kovalev is Rodriguez or Brand situation in Oakland, then he's playing himself again. He needs to do what no has been able to do thus far and dial up a LHW unification fight.

Even roy jones wasn't a huge ppv star

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I think it's okay if Ward and Crawford and etc aren't ppv, crossover stars

let's face it, boxing is a niche sport right now... The sooner the network companies, promoter and fighters lower their expectations, the better is, tbh... :yeshrug:

On a way it's bad because less money pulls less talent to the sport but there's no point in acting like boxing would be such a big attraction now either... I can't blame Ward o anyone for not being a PPV star. Only Canelo is that from the newschool

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good points

there isn't an Oscar in Ward division

Roy jones was never a PPV star, but he was a boxing star

I keep saying there is nothing wrong with being a boxing star. This nygga Ward is getting nearly 2 million to fight tuneups. That is great money. He got a movie role. He's team Jordan. HBO commentator. He's doing his thing.

People gotta stopped being compared to Floyd. As someone mentioned earlier, what he did was an anomaly. Guys like Oscar, Pacquiao, & Floyd have a certain "it" factor that even the casual fans gravitated to. It's as simple as that, whether they wanted to see them win or lose.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Even roy jones wasn't a huge ppv star
True, but his later fights did 300-600k. Roy just had no fights around him in his actual prime, and his chance to be the PPV king was staying at heavyweight where fights with Tony, Holyfield, Tyson, and the Klitchskos could have been blockbusters. The Ruiz fight did 600k and it was only up from there against the others. Ward has two big PPV fights right now for the making at 175 and a good pool of talent at 168 (plus Bieterbiev) to build up as opponents if Ward can estabolish himself as a proper A side.

Again, it's all there for the taking but rising to that level takes a determined effort to get there. That means making deals to get future opponents on undercards, no half ass bouts, no long layoffs etc

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Becoming a PPV star is damn near impossible. Mayweather had several things going for him to become a PPV star. He was actually obsessed with becoming a PPV star. If you have ever had an obsession, you know its something that consumes you. He was saying at 135 he wanted to fight Oscar. This was when Oscar was at 154. Floyd took the initiative to actually make it happen, unlike other fighters that don't do shyt. He did the WWE, Dancing with the stars, Money Mayweather persona, beat Oscar, etc to increase his profile and marketability to the casual fan. 24-7 was actually his idea as well.

Floyd has actual opponents that range from 135-154 that he can actually create a PPV with.

This can be viewed as subjective. However, despite how boring the casual fan says Mayweather is, he is perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing fighter to watch. The way he fights is absolutely pleasing to eye. That is a clear advantage he has over other "pure" boxers.

I think Ward is a boxing star. However, I don't think he will ever be a PPV star. I do think he will have some ppv appearances if its the right fight, like Hopkins did.

Me & you probably have a completely different point of view when it comes to a PPV star. I view a PPV star as a guy that will NEVER fight on free tv again. From my point of view, I do not view Cotto as a PPV star for the simple fact that he occasionally has to fight on regular hbo. I don't think Ward will ever be a bigger star than Cotto.

Your also making an assumption that Ward-Kovalev even does well. Yes I clearly acknowledge it's a huge fight for boxing. If Crawford-Postol can get a PPV, then Ward-Kovalev can. However we gotta be honest here. It should be on HBO Championship boxing. Not on PPV.
100 percent truth
He also turned down a lucrative hbo contract saying he deserved more money. Everyone called him crazy. That's why he when he fought Augustus it was some bootleg ass broadcast lol
He grinded and got his money
He had the guts to leave bob arum
He changed the way fighters get paid
He built his fanbsse from the ground up and put in the work and this was before the social media era

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps

I agree with you breh. I think where you guys a be differing is @LauderdaleBoss thinks Ward should push to become one and by you saying he won't be one even if he tries, but maybe he is interpreting that as he shouldn't try. Dunno, just my quick thoughts at a glance.

But I agree, even if Ward wanted to be a PPV star and went all out, he is fighting an incredibly steep uphill battle. It is amazing how hard it is to become a PPV fighter, even amongst the best fighters. RJJ may be the best figher of his generation and he didn't get PPV numbers that people around here would deem as successful.

It takes a lot of things to build it and the important things Ward doesn't really have right now, built in fan base (like a Mexican, PR, UK fighter way), exciting style to the casual, and a personality that grabs the casual/media. And at some level having a reason for people to root against you is as important as making people want to root for you.

In boxing's reality, if you are a HBO/Showtime main event fighter and getting $2 million plus in purses you are a star boxer. But there are only a few that ever get to the superstar level.

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps
If Loma-Salido on the undercard im buying

tumblr_o8q3wzhQRe1tqh2yyo1_500.gif

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I agree with you breh. I think where you guys a be differing is @LauderdaleBoss thinks Ward should push to become one and by you saying he won't be one even if he tries, but maybe he is interpreting that as he shouldn't try. Dunno, just my quick thoughts at a glance.

But I agree, even if Ward wanted to be a PPV star and went all out, he is fighting an incredibly steep uphill battle. It is amazing how hard it is to become a PPV fighter, even amongst the best fighters. RJJ may be the best figher of his generation and he didn't get PPV numbers that people around here would deem as successful.

It takes a lot of things to build it and the important things Ward doesn't really have right now, built in fan base (like a Mexican, PR, UK fighter way), exciting style to the casual, and a personality that grabs the casual/media. And at some level having a reason for people to root against you is as important as making people want to root for you.

In boxing's reality, if you are a HBO/Showtime main event fighter and getting $2 million plus in purses you are a star boxer. But there are only a few that ever get to the superstar level.

I think you got me mixed up with somebody else fam.

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
Robert Garcia, trainer of maidana n mikey g, fighting corrales. he actually won a few of the early rds imo...shoulda kept tryna box instead of getting into a war with chico. lol