The Official "Better Call Saul" Season 4 Thread.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They've retconned some of the Saul/Mike/Gus history/relationship stuff. Even if they haven't fully admitted it. Which is fine. They had to find a way to make it connect in the past. As they never knew they would be doing a BETTER CALL SAUL spinoff, when they were making Breaking Bad.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
They've retconned some of the Saul/Mike/Gus history/relationship stuff. Even if they haven't fully admitted it. Which is fine. They had to find a way to make it connect in the past. As they never knew they would be doing a BETTER CALL SAUL spinoff, when they were making Breaking Bad.

Huh?

They aren't at a point where that would be a factor yet.

Fred.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If I was gus I would have had that German finish up though.

Congrats on a job well done, could you step over here please let me show you the storage room:mjlit:
latest
They don’t use acid until walt teaches them

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Agreed. Didn't mean to paint Werner like a schoolgirl, just meant he wasn't an easy kill for Mike, like Jimmy (also not innocent) wasn't for Nucky. Seemed like a pivotal moment in Mike's transition....he's fully a henchman for Gus now.
And even though I think Gus already knew he could trust Mike fully, I think Mike choosing to do it himself showed Gus that Mike is truly ride or die for him forever. Because Gus knew from the very beginning that Mike was about avoiding bloodshed if at all possible.
I think they retconned it within Breaking Bad itself. If I remember correctly, when they introduced Mike they hadn't quite come up with the "Gus" character yet, so Mike was just this shady guy that sometimes worked with Saul.

Yep that's true. At first Mike's character was just supposed to be sort of like the Wolf character in Pulp Fiction. He was called in to clean things up. They expanded his character when they were writing season 3.

This story guys! :banderas:
While I was watching this last night, I was trying to think of a time where a show had me more captivated. I got nothing...
I don't think this show could've worked as well before BrBa and obviously BrBa was revolutionary and along with The Wire is my favorite show of all time, but honestly I think in some ways BCS is a better show. Not everyone would agree with that I guess, but at the very least I think BCS makes BrBa better, and I think BrBa makes BCS better. They truly compliment each other.

I didn't love the first season of BCS but I'm glad I stuck around. S3 and S4 have been pretty amazing.

@hex do you know how many more seasons they have planned? I'm guessing not more than another one or two?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I think they retconned it within Breaking Bad itself. If I remember correctly, when they introduced Mike they hadn't quite come up with the "Gus" character yet, so Mike was just this shady guy that sometimes worked with Saul.

And even though I think Gus already knew he could trust Mike fully, I think Mike choosing to do it himself showed Gus that Mike is truly ride or die for him forever. Because Gus knew from the very beginning that Mike was about avoiding bloodshed if at all possible.

Yep that's true. At first Mike's character was just supposed to be sort of like the Wolf character in Pulp Fiction. He was called in to clean things up. They expanded his character when they were writing season 3.

:patrice:

Eh....that's a slippery slope for a retcon. In that case Mike is a retcon because when they introduced Saul they hadn't come up with Mike.

It was supposed to be Saul that cleans up the crime scene when Jane died. Bob Odenkirk was busy so they created Mike and he just kinda popped up, despite no mention of him prior to episode 13.

I dunno....me personally, I don't look at an omission of information as a retcon. A better example of a retcon would be if Saul and Gus meet, and acknowledge each other during this show, since Gus knows who Saul is during "BB" but it was established that Saul doesn't know Gus until later.

Fred.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
That was Mike downfall, he thought Walt was mild Mannered like Werner. He didn’t understand Walt was levels above him in thinking. Walt was a king dealing with pawn in Mike just like Gus dealt with Mike.
On some levels I agree but I don't think Mike can be written off as just a pawn, and I think Mike realized Walt's levels of intelligence at the end of season 3/beginning of season 4.

I think Mike was actually smarter than Walt in some ways because he could see the bigger picture of the criminal world. Walt was brilliant but he did get lucky with some of his plans, but Walt was still impulsive, allowed his ego to get in the way, and was often reckless. If Walt could have set his ego aside I think they actually could have worked together quite well. They both thought of things the other didn't, and I may just be reading your post wrong, but I think Mike is much smarter than he's sometimes given credit for. He may not be Gus/Walt criminal mastermind, but as far as knowing street level shyt and seeing the big picture, he's as good as they come.

I would say he's more like a knight on the chessboard than a pawn.

The Werner scene was heartbreaking.

The look on Kim's face when realizing Jimmy was a piece of shyt.

That ending :banderas:
I can never tell with her though. Every other time before when I thought she was going to distance herself from Jimmy, she either doesn't or actually gets turned on. But I think this was the moment where she finally is going to start distancing herself.

EDIT: Sorry for all the consecutive posts brehs. I missed the past 3 weeks of episodes, watched them all within the past 24 hours, and so a lot of thoughts are kicking around in my brain.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't think this show could've worked as well before BrBa and obviously BrBa was revolutionary and along with The Wire is my favorite show of all time, but honestly I think in some ways BCS is a better show. Not everyone would agree with that I guess, but at the very least I think BCS makes BrBa better, and I think BrBa makes BCS better. They truly compliment each other.

I didn't love the first season of BCS but I'm glad I stuck around. S3 and S4 have been pretty amazing.

@hex do you know how many more seasons they have planned? I'm guessing not more than another one or two?

It was already renewed for season 5 before season 4 even started. So at the very least, one more season. But Peter Gould did an interview today and he said they're trying to figure all that out with Sony/AMC so I'd say either a 6th season is planned or season 5 will be split like "Breaking Bad".

Fred.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
It was already renewed for season 5 before season 4 even started. So at the very least, one more season. But Peter Gould did an interview today and he said they're trying to figure all that out with Sony/AMC so I'd say either a 6th season is planned or season 5 will be split like "Breaking Bad".

Fred.
Sounds dope.

I think they know when to end it. I mean I hope we get to continue to see shows that take place in this universe, but I think there aren't enough loose ends to do more than 2 more seasons, tops. Honestly I think they could shut it down with a killer 5th season and between BrBa and BCS you could have 10 of the best seasons ever to be put to the screen.

In my mind BCS was about getting the characters to where they were in the BrBa timeline, and after the finale I think Mike has more or less completed his arc. IMO he is now the Mike that we met on BrBa.

I think there are loose ends between Jimmy and Kim, obviously, as well as the Gus/Salamanca and Nacho/Salamanca arcs. The lab needs to be completed and I'm sure they will do some stuff with Gayle. I could be forgetting a few, but I'm starting to see the end game. I also hope we get to see more of what happens after BrBa in the black and white time frame.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I was expecting a more climatic intro/transition to Saul Goodman tho

Me too, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense that it wasn't. In many ways it's always been who he was, and I think it seems natural that it would just be a quick fleeting moment. I was expecting a more climactic thing as well and even though it felt like a let down, Jimmy is always letting people down and I don't know if it was intentional but it felt like maybe it was done on purpose for us to maybe feel it in the same way?

I don't know. I think I'm overthinking it.

@TheDarceKnight funny you should mention that.:mjlit:

Fred.

Hell yeah!

And BTW props to Werner for taking his death like a champ. I thought for sure he would cry and be way more distraught and begging for his life. He took it pretty good.

Did the call he made to his wife remind you of the call Walt made to Skylaw on Ozymandias? I felt a parallel there when he said "I don't want to see you!"

And the actress that plays Kim? Damn....I haven't been watching many other shows, but I think she deserves an Emmy. Her acting has been incredible this season. Probably the best of anyone on the show.