Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't mind battles being vaulted if it's completely unwatchable. QP vs JJDD was alright but the audio was terrible. I've always said that if one of the battles completely shyts the bed and chokes every round, just release the footage of rapper who actually did good.

Con vs Ill was vaulted due to HBO owning the footage, if I remember correctly. I don't know URL hasn't tried to get that back.

I always wanna see black owned businesses prosper but there are aspects of their business model that is shyt to me. We discussed in here a while back but I would be more than happy to pay a subscription service in order to get battles. That would increase their revenue and hopefully they would invest that money in the battles that they supposedly can't afford.

Norbes was talking about how B Dot would have to run the PG gambit like everyone else and B Dot wasn't feeling that. I don't blame him either tbh. He's battled Myers, Daylyt and Cortez so there's no reason for him to take a step down in opponent.

I understand. I'm sure guys like ARP started their leagues from watching URL and seeing things they would want to change. Clearly it's not as easy as it looks.
ARP has fallen out with several of the people he came in the game with over business. Everyone starts on the same page, but it diverges over time.

Letting B Dot skip the line would be an awful business move for URL tho. That's purely a fan thing. You set up a training system, put 49 people through it, then you allow the 50th person to ignore it... no good.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is some of the gayest shyt I have ever seen in battle rap.

Battle rap is really on some clown shyt. They all look like they are going to a gay club afterwards. I can't believe this is a battle rap event

Lmao y'all are clowning. I don't want to throw the "gay" thing around all crazy, but the venue is terrible, there's way too much light, and it does look like they are going clubbing afterward.

"Iron Mouth" Battles tho :dame:

Lowkey we need a Jai 400 Block "Am I lying my nygga" smiley

If Math loses clearly to Showoff with all this ammo, I think we can close the casket on "Math Hoffa" the battle rapper. I'll still support dude as an actor, and as a musician, but battle rap? Nah.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
I understand. I'm sure guys like ARP started their leagues from watching URL and seeing things they would want to change. Clearly it's not as easy as it looks.
ARP has fallen out with several of the people he came in the game with over business. Everyone starts on the same page, but it diverges over time.

Letting B Dot skip the line would be an awful business move for URL tho. That's purely a fan thing. You set up a training system, put 49 people through it, then you allow the 50th person to ignore it... no good.

No it ain't.
nikkas see the difference between B Dot and fukkin Dre Dennis breh.
Some nikkas just got it.
Not just TopTiers have acknowledged that, the nikka's talent reached an audience OUTSIDE of battlerap.
I ain't sayin son is toptier or anything.
But after having went viral, being co-signed by toptiers, having held his own against toptiers before URL. You can't put him in the same category as these new nikkas (new nikkas under Ave/Chess/Mike P)
There's levels to this battlerap shyt.
He should be there with them by default

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK

B Dot's battled Daylyt, Danny Myers and Cortez and he's due to battle Verb this year too. Considering the impact he's made already, he's above PG battles. He's pretty much upper-mid tier already.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
B Dot's battled Daylyt, Danny Myers and Cortez and he's due to battle Verb this year too. Considering the impact he's made already, he's above PG battles. He's pretty much upper-mid tier already.

Like I said, it's only a fan thing.
He doesn't generate the type of interest that would make them consider abandoning their business model.
He's still unproven as a big stage performer & ticket seller.
I love how the 3 guys you named that he's battled don't generate much interest over at URL right now, but have been dominant on other platforms. It should tell you something.
Verb isn't a hot commodity at URL either.
After having this discussion for close to a year, all this seems pretty cut and dry.

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld

Now Showoff is battling in a league with an openly gay nikka hosting his battles :dame:

Showoff opened up his first round talkin about his opponent "fukkin a woman yet yelling out a mans name" :dame:

You trying to tell us something Show? :dame:

Wow look how he's standing in the thumbnail. He has the posture of a full blown dyke.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Like I said, it's only a fan thing.
He doesn't generate the type of interest that would make them consider abandoning their business model.
He's still unproven as a big stage performer & ticket seller.
I love how the 3 guys you named that he's battled don't generate much interest over at URL right now, but have been dominant on other platforms. It should tell you something.
Verb isn't a hot commodity at URL either.
After having this discussion for close to a year, all this seems pretty cut and dry.
The big stage isn't the end all be all for everybody

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps

Ok so why didn't Reed, Ness and Cyssero have to go through the PG's?:jbhmm:

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Do yall think being better looking than your opponent give you the upperhand???? Remember when Big T killed Arthur and there was some obnoxious skank cheering for Arthur the whole time and gassing his bars??? Yall think she like that because she Arthur looked better than Big T??? There are other examples but this is the most recent one.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
Battle rap is not a priority to B Dot :yeshrug:

True. I think one time when I talked to him online he was contemplating quitting to pursue other avenues. He is really about trying to do things for the black community.

I always wanna see black owned businesses prosper but there are aspects of their business model that is shyt to me. We discussed in here a while back but I would be more than happy to pay a subscription service in order to get battles. That would increase their revenue and hopefully they would invest that money in the battles that they supposedly can't afford.

Regardless of how they get money, I feel like a lot of people try to excuse SMACK URL on a lot of things they pull because they are a black owned business. I love that but my problem is other leagues in this are black owned as well; innovators, imitators, or what not, they are black owned businesses, too. So when they block battles and do not book them, it shows arrogance in a way that I don't agree with and a lack of good business ethic. Like the Hitman vs. Suge battle should've happened with no problem and I get the whole thing with the price and all. But block it twice, don't book it, and then years later say "ok, you can book it" is very counter productive. Part of the reason I agree with CAPS, there should be a battle rap union to have an oversight over things like that.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
B Dot's catalog of battles is no better than Jimz, probably worse (Obviously he's way better than Jimz, just saying), so just because you face top comp off URL doesn't mean you're URL mainstage level.

B Dot hasn't proven to be a draw at all. His highest viewed battle is 240K against Danny. Which is good for an unestablished guy, but not so good that URL needs to abandoned their process for it like Wizworld said.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Norbes was talking about how B Dot would have to run the PG gambit like everyone else and B Dot wasn't feeling that. I don't blame him either tbh. He's battled Myers, Daylyt and Cortez so there's no reason for him to take a step down in opponent.

I think your behind on your information.

That was true initially.

BDot was locked in to battle on BL4, but backed out. Obviously some sort of compromise was made here. Norbes wasn't sure why he backed out.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

THEY ALREADY LET PEOPLE SKIP IT