The Official 2024 MLB Season Thread

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Btw I'm not in love with Arenado's case for the HOF.

Good bat. Great glove.
Coors kinda takes some of the shine off his offensive numbers for me, even if it's not the giant advantage it used to be.

The thing is, 3B has been such a weak position historically that you kinda have to put him in by comparison to other 3B even if Arenado was never really in that elite tier of hitters in his era. At least it didn't feel like it. I know he's got all those .900 OPS years.

You can't think Scott Rolen belongs and turn around and say Arenado doesn't.

Edit - I'm not in love with Machado either. But if he sticks around he might hit enough milestones to make his case better.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
a9d8d11d-3d54-4f6b-950f-1c148a7c8395_text.gif

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
@Regular_P Tork back. Probably will only been able to hit the Sox tho:dead:
I gotta see it from start to finish from him. He's been solid since he came back up but it's been a little over a week and like you said, four games against the ChiSox.

He needs to hit with RISP too. His average has to be like .100 on the season in that department.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

What do you think? @Remote

Pretty good actually.

I don't like anybody in the "It's gonna be close" tier.
As good as Sale and deGrom can be, they just don't have the consistency and longevity for me.

From the Too Early to Call tier:
Jose Ramirez
Francisco Lindor
Corey Seager
Juan Soto

I'm a definite NO on Burnes and Bregman.
Likely a No on Correa.

Alvarez just can't stay on the field. But he's a monster when he is. He's 27 now and he'd have to put up another 6-7 years of dominance to really get there.

Wheeler? Going on 35 years old. Just doesn't have the resume or longevity. No.

Btw I'm not in love with Arenado's case for the HOF.

Good bat. Great glove.
Coors kinda takes some of the shine off his offensive numbers for me, even if it's not the giant advantage it used to be.

The thing is, 3B has been such a weak position historically that you kinda have to put him in by comparison to other 3B even if Arenado was never really in that elite tier of hitters in his era. At least it didn't feel like it. I know he's got all those .900 OPS years.

You can't think Scott Rolen belongs and turn around and say Arenado doesn't.

Edit - I'm not in love with Machado either. But if he sticks around he might hit enough milestones to make his case better.
The Hall's been watered down as fukk so there's a good chance a lot of these guys get in. Once Harold Baines and Joe Mauer (first ballot! :scust: ) got in, all bets are off going forward. Everybody in that picture could say they're better than those two. It really irritates me that every Hall isn't reserved for the absolute best of the best.

You should not have to think twice about a guy making it and there should only be one vote: you're either in or out. Guys who defined their eras; guys you tell your kids/grandkids about ("you shoulda seen this guy in his prime"). Mookie is probably already in; Judge and Ohtani just need the reps and they're locks. I would probably put Ohtani in right now even if he never played another game because he's a walking miracle. I don't think it can be understated how improbable his last three seasons were.

I lean no on Harper. He's had a terrific career and his MVP seasons were awesome but I don't believe he's been GREAT in his non-MVP years.

Machado and Arenado: :thumbsdown:

If Cole ages like Verlander, he'll be a lock but we have to see. As of now, no. I kinda think Sale has a better case than him at the moment. Cole hasn't sustained his dominance for a stretch of seasons. 2012-2018 Sale was as dominant as it gets. That matters A LOT in my book.

Freddie and Goldie are damn near identical. I'm not all the way in on either of them but I wouldn't be mad if they each made it.

Altuve is a sure thing to me. Been the driving force of the best team of the last decade. He's probably gonna wind up with 3,000 hits and he's done a ton of damage in the postseason as well. The playoffs make him a no-doubter.

I don't have much to say about the too early bracket besides saying Snell has no chance. :mjlol: