The Official 2024 College Football Random Thoughts Thread

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Yeah, took some great evaluating by Sark to take Archie Manning, the #1 overall QB. I'm sure he hurt his brain. Unless you want to claim Maalik Murphy, who's busy statpadding against horrible programs and looking poop at best against a UNC team that has Joe Biden at head coach, what's the point of this post? Has he started 2 QBs he's recruited out of high school at Texas yet?
You going to post something in regards to Hugh Freeze's evaluations or nah. And Sark's history with QBs is basically what recruited Arch to Texas. He was one of the few coaches the Manning's trusted his development with, Monken being the other but they knew he'd jump to the NFL. Murphy still hasn't lost a game at the collegiate level by the way and I guess you are ignoring everything Sark did with QBs prior to his tenure at Texas. And plenty of top ranked HS QBs bust in college. Picking the right one and being able to develop them is a skill.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
He took a middle of the pack Georgia program and made them eliteand got them back to back Nattys when they hadn't had one in 40 years. Anybody still downplaying the job he's done there is on crack :snoop:

DoBoer is a great a coach but yes he took over an already elite program with elite talent, resources, staff, S&C, Boosters, etc already in place.
Same with Ryan Day although he did have to adjust to NIL

Mark Richt did not leave him what Saban and Urban left them. Shid Moore took over the 15-0 national champs and returned an elite back and defense and we see how thats looking so far...
Georgia has always been super talented. Coaching held them back. Some of those teams Richt had like with Moreno SHOULD have won but his staff held them back

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando

@smitty22 how pissed you think Stallions is? Knowing damn well he’s the mastermind behind that Michigan/Charger defense, and Minter’s getting all the credit? I’d be livid.

#FreeConnor

:mjcry:

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps

@smitty22 how pissed you think Stallions is? Knowing damn well he’s the mastermind behind that Michigan/Charger defense, and Minter’s getting all the credit? I’d be livid.

#FreeConnor

:mjcry:
I think he’s more pissed he can’t use his cheating tactics at that high school where he is giving up 50 points a game :beutusDamn:

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
I'll believe it when I see it. Stricklin and the UAA will find a way to fukk this up and will hire some bozo that the fans and recruits will have to google :snoop:

Florida should really consider joining the Sun Belt or AAC or some shyt so they could occasionally make the playoffs as the G5 at large slot, because they'll be struggling to be bowl eligible in the SEC for the foreseeable future.

1. Lane Kiffin: There's no stopping the what-if train​

So here we are, in a sport that refuses to live in the now because the future is so undeniably delicious, and the Lane Kiffin to Florida dating game has officially begun.

Lane and Florida sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g. First comes a firing, then comes a hiring, then comes Kiffin …

“All of a sudden, our program isn’t terrible,” Kiffin said last weekend in defense of his Ole Miss team after the then-Top 10 Rebels lost at home to Kentucky as a double-digit favorite ― and kicked off the inevitable Florida and Kiffin chase.

Deny it all you want, everyone. This shotgun marriage now has momentum.

Before we go further, Kiffin is absolutely right. The idea that Ole Miss is a fraud, or got exposed or can’t win a big game because of one bad Saturday is wildly shortsighted.

But there’s no chance that’s stopping this train of what-if. If anything, it enhanced it.

Mississippi coach Lane Kiffin waves to fans after his team's defeat of Georgia Tech at Bobby Dodd Stadium in 2022.

It's all about timing now, and how one more Ole Miss loss sets everything in motion.

The Florida program, once a beacon for all things opulence and arrogance, is a shadow of its former championship self. Gators coach Billy Napier is another discombobulated, dysfunctional loss away from getting tossed on the scrap heap of Will Muschamp, Jim McElwain and Dan Mullen.

It’s the worst kept secret in college football.

Florida, with every possible advantage to win big, hasn’t done it since Urban Meyer arrived in Gainesville nearly two decades ago and road roughshod over college football with a six-year iron fist that was equal parts remarkable and repulsive.

Then there’s Kiffin, whose coaching career began in 2009 at Tennessee just as Meyer’s run at Florida – and the Gators’ perch on the top of the college football mountain – was starting to fade.

Get the Sports newsletter in your inbox.
Sports news, no matter the season. Stop by for the scores, stay for the stories.
Delivery: Daily

Your Email

Kiffin began his one-year run at Tennessee by accusing Meyer of NCAA recruiting violations, and then committed multiple violations himself over an 11-month span as the Vols coach before leaving for his dream job at Southern California.

If ever a coach and a program were destined for each other, this is it.

2. Florida's coaching folly​

Let’s dissect Florida’s coaching hires since Meyer skulked out of town after the 2010 season, shall we?

Muschamp: Elite defensive coach and recruiter, couldn’t find/develop a quarterback.

McElwain: Nick Saban assistant, and an expert fisherman.

Mullen: Elite offensive mind, disinterested recruiter.

Meanwhile, the program fell behind in the facilities arms race, and waited a decade before getting serious about spending money because Steve Spurrier and Meyer won national titles without bells and whistles, why can't everyone else?

Florida coach Billy Napier walks off the field after the first half of his team's game against Texas A&M at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on September 14, 2024 in Gainesville, Florida.

Then Napier arrived and was given everything he could possibly want. A new $60 million football facility, and a support staff of 40-plus covering every possible contingency – except the one that mattered most.

What if Napier wasn’t ready for the job?

Now it’s time to hire a true ball coach. One with a track record of recruiting and developing players, who will work the talent-rich state of Florida and organically build a roster into a championship-level team.

Forget what you’ve heard about Kiffin from years past. He made mistakes, who doesn’t?

AT THE END:It's time for Florida to bid goodbye to Billy Napier

He’s not the carnival barker at Tennessee, or the overwhelmed coach in an untenable situation following Pete Carroll at USC (without 30 scholarships because of NCAA sanctions), or even the unpredictable yet brilliant offensive mind Saban tolerated at Alabama.

He has become a legit ball coach, in every facet of the position.

He has double-digit win seasons (plural) at Ole Miss, including a school-record 11 victories in 2023. He’s as good a quarterback coach/developer and play caller as there is in the game.

Now imagine him recruiting in the state of Florida. Or better yet, coaching Gators talented freshman quarterback DJ Lagway.

3. Chasing Kiffin, The Epilogue​

The Kentucky loss isn’t a deal-breaker for the Ole Miss season, but it brings Kffin and the Rebels one loss closer to missing the College Football Playoff. That’s the key to this potential Florida and Kiffin marriage.

Timing is everything.

If Ole Miss is in the playoff, it will be difficult for Kiffin to walk away – and for Florida to wait. If Ole Miss doesn’t advance to the CFP, Florida can hire him the day after the field is set.

We can debate about whether Florida will pay what it takes to get Kiffin (likely $11-12 million a year), and if it’s serious about escaping the college football hinterlands and avoiding the SEC freefall to the depths of Mississippi State and Vanderbilt.

But there is no debate about job value.

Kiffin’s own success at Ole Miss has moved expectations to the level of Florida. In other words, no matter where he coaches, the bar is the CFP and winning it all.

He could coach Ole Miss, and annually rummage through the transfer portal and hope to hit more times than not. Or he could leave for Florida, and recruit and develop from one of the three most talent-rich states for high school football – and add a few impact players from the portal.

Deny it all you want, the fuse has been lit on this looming shotgun marriage.

It’s only a matter of timing.

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
I think I'll trust Sark's QB evaluations over Hugh Freeze :mjlol: . Breh probably should have been y'all plan A. But I know most of you are star fukkers when it comes to recruiting.
Exactly he talking like that guy isn’t plan D for us he not gonna take a snap for at least 3 years

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
Yeah, took some great evaluating by Sark to take Archie Manning, the #1 overall QB. I'm sure he hurt his brain. Unless you want to claim Maalik Murphy, who's busy statpadding against horrible programs and looking poop at best against a UNC team that has Joe Biden at head coach, what's the point of this post? Has he started 2 QBs he's recruited out of high school at Texas yet?
Trey Owens who’s a freshman btw looks better than an qb on your team. Also you bum ass auburn fans could only dream of having a qb half ass good as maalik murphy