The NETFLIX QUINCY JONES documentary shows that DRE AND KANYE aint nowhere near this dude

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Dre shyts on Quincy

Bruh he has thriller and a couple decent jazz albums :camby:

At the end of the day Thriller is a pop record. Like not to get on some hipster shyt, but pop has so much limitation, its gotta be taken with a grain of salt
Quincy Jones could never produce a song about police brutality
you niccas mane. how DISRESPECTFUL is it to make it seem as if THRILLER is just "another" album

The Fire

way more chemical than political
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
You needed a documentary to learn that?

:mjlol:

Kanye and Dre aren’t anywhere near people in their own genre like Pete Rock, 9th Wonder, DJ Quik, etc
“anywhere near” yeah right. Just because you’re famous doesn’t mean you’re a scrub

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Quincy made rap somgs and won a Grammy off of back on the block. Who do you think made the fresh prince of bel air theme song?

Y’all in here downplaying quincy Jones impact on hip hop and music in general like your brains are made of noodles. A bunch of his music has even been sampled by hip hop artists countless times.

The man is a legend in music period.

quincy is a musical genius but his attempt at hiphop was trash

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The honest truth is that music artist back in the day were more talented.

The average Jazz musician had more talent than the average rapper walking around.

To do music back in the day meant you dedicated your life to it.
You cant say the same for most rap/pop.

we can play that game when you compare almost any style of music to jazz. This why it should be made clear to only compare art music with art music and pop-mainstream to other pop.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Of course they're not close to him.

The funniest thing about Quincy to me is that to this day you can find jazz purists who consider him to be a disgusting sellout for venturing into r&b and pop.There's nothing like a jazz grudge, or a jazz elitist.
:russ:
Damn. I fukk with Kind Of Blue and a Cannonball Adderlay song I can't remember. Is black jazz just horns and soft drumming, or is their more? What makes jazz so complex? Also who do you recommend to check?

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps
1zee64o.jpg

w83x5k.jpg

28ioyv5.jpg

21cs4t0.jpg

1z6gt2b.jpg

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
we can play that game when you compare almost any style of music to jazz. This why it should be made clear to only compare art music with art music and pop-mainstream to other pop.
there was a time when Jazz was pop music.

Its only considered "art music" now because things/people are dumbed down.
I would put your average soul/r&b artist from the 60's/70's over most out now...outside of a few (i.e. R Kelly).

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
there was a time when Jazz was pop music.

only in the early stages to big band era because that was dance music

Its only considered "art music" now because things/people are dumbed down.

na...it became art music in the bebop era because they (boppers) moved the music away from it's dance origins and made it listening music while also increasing it's complexities. It became intellectual music from this point on.

I would put your average soul/r&b artist from the 60's/70's over most out now...outside of a few (i.e. R Kelly).

I would too but this doesn't change the fact that Jazz purist heads looked down on soul, rock and basically all forms of non-art music

Last edited:
Daps
He made rap songs but nothing great. Back on the block was corny and the grammys gassed it tbh, it's not something we look back on and are blown away by no matter how much you wanna stretch your imagination. The beats on there come off over produced and are not hiphop drums either. For a Jazz album even, it's just a cool album and nothing special. I don't consider that a hiphop album at all even if it draws from hiphop influences for some of it's songs.

The fresh prince of bel air's theme song beat wasn't even all that. It's not a banger like something by Dj Premiere and tbh Dj Jazzy Jeff probably did a lot more for the production then Quincy.

Yeah, he has been sampled and is a great musician but he can't do beats like Dj Premire on an MPC. I doubt it!

He ain't no Dilla son.

What do you mean?

Na man that Fresh Prince theme was sort of crazy. I could’ve definitely heard Kane, Rick or Rakim on it

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Na man that Fresh Prince theme was sort of crazy. I could’ve definitely heard Kane, Rick or Rakim on it
Lol you're right, I ran it back and it was fire :russ: @Swirv was right?

However I'm sure Jazzy Jeff had a hand in it being so fire though. Quincy didn't produce that alone.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I can't even qualify Quincy in a cultural sense because he ruined Kane.

If he was so cold outside his element.
We would have had mackula before prince Paul.

So, in a culture based sense.
I won't even think of Quincy at all.

I give him credit for whom he is in his genre.

Yet outside of that,...he is weak because he can critique hip hop but he can not do it tho.

Don't criticize if you can't do it.

I know ye and dre could right now go do his genre and kill.
I know right now and at no time in History could Quincy do rap tho.

That is why q continues this failed witch hunt.
It is simply because he failed to make quality culture based and accepted rap records.
That is why this Ol q, has a problem with Rap shyt comes from.
He need to take a page out of full force book and see what full force did.
to rejuvenate James brown and then try it with a rapper.

Yet he will not because he thinks rap is only a four bar loop.
While ignoring the fact he failed at making the breaks, he crafted infectious in that format.

Till he makes a rap record worth a damn with Kane that surpasses mackula. Quincy needs to stop the rap witch hunt.

Art Barr

Outdo mackula, nikka...or stfu about hip hop. You been on the clock for failing with Kane since the late eighties nikka. Plus mike exposed you stole too. Now do some new shyt besides unveiling a child hood gay in tevin Campbell. That who knows why shawty that way.
if we let q tell it.

Art Barr

Last edited: