The NETFLIX QUINCY JONES documentary shows that DRE AND KANYE aint nowhere near this dude

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Devante is extremely talented and a legend in his own right, but he isn't nowhere near that echelon of producers. It's basically comparing Jodeci albums to decades of work by Quincy, Face, and Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. Devante dropped the ball with his own crew.
Devante has produced for more artists than his own group. We can even count the unreleased songs . Yes his catalog doesn't stretch as far as the former. I've never heard a wack Devante beat though.
I've heard some wack Ye beats.
DeVante Swing production discography - Wikipedia

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Devante has produced for more artists than his own group. We can even count the unreleased songs . Yes his catalog doesn't stretch as far as the former. I've never heard a wack Devante beat though.
I've heard some wack Ye beats.
DeVante Swing production discography - Wikipedia

I know he's done work for other artists, but outside of Jodeci, his catalog isn't extensive enough to put him up there with Quincy, Jam & Lewis, and Face. Even just based on the Jodeci work, it isn't enough.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I know he's done work for other artists, but outside of Jodeci, his catalog isn't extensive enough to put him up there with Quincy, Jam & Lewis, and Face. Even just based on the Jodeci work, it isn't enough.
Fair enough, just a reminder I said closest not equal

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Thriller broke barriers for Black music and you're in here talking about it like it was some fly by noght success.
im not denying the cultural importance.

the fact that the album was front and center in American culture does not mean it was better or worse then any other album...

theres arguments for accessible music and the arguments against (which I just made). so just because Quincy had a larger platform to deliver his music, does not mean he is a better producer. Dre contributed as much to the artform of hip hop as any artist could contribute to an artform. So with that being said, Quincy can only be his equal :usure:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
im not denying the cultural importance.

the fact that the album was front and center in American culture does not mean it was better or worse then any other album...

theres arguments for accessible music and the arguments against (which I just made). so just because Quincy had a larger platform to deliver his music, does not mean he is a better producer. Dre contributed as much to the artform of hip hop as any artist could contribute to an artform. So with that being said, Quincy can only be his equal :usure:

You really think Quincy's catalog is limited to MJ and even with just MJ's albums, quincy's impact on music>>>>> Dre's simply because he curated the sound that made MJ the biggest icon in music history. That's not even mentioning his influence and impact elsewhere. I hope you are trolling, because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about if you think Dre and Quincy are equals.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
You really think Quincy's catalog is limited to MJ and even with just MJ's albums, quincy's impact on music>>>>> Dre's simply because he curated the sound that made MJ the biggest icon in music history. That's not even mentioning his influence and impact elsewhere. I hope you are trolling, because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about if you think Dre and Quincy are equals.
All about the platform breh. Bigger does not mean better.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Of course they're not close to him.

The funniest thing about Quincy to me is that to this day you can find jazz purists who consider him to be a disgusting sellout for venturing into r&b and pop.There's nothing like a jazz grudge, or a jazz elitist.
:russ:
Well yeah he missed out on a lot of waves

the golden age of jazz was the 1950s and 60s right after he got into scoring films.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What about Ashford and Simpson or the homies Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

OP stop it fam. Quincy is dope but he can't make hiphop if he wanted too.
Quincy made rap somgs and won a Grammy off of back on the block. Who do you think made the fresh prince of bel air theme song?

Y’all in here downplaying quincy Jones impact on hip hop and music in general like your brains are made of noodles. A bunch of his music has even been sampled by hip hop artists countless times.

The man is a legend in music period.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Quincy made rap somgs and won a Grammy off of back on the block. Who do you think made the fresh prince of bel air theme song?

Y’all in here downplaying quincy Jones impact on hip hop and music in general like your brains are made of noodles. A bunch of his music has even been sampled by hip hop artists countless times.

The man is a legend in music period.
Cats purposely limit their taste in music for plausible deniability.

ProfessionallyTrill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
You can't say Paul & Juicy J pioneered something and leave Dre out of the mix (no pun). Memphis was on the map before so called Mafia fans even had a clue as to who they were. Eightball & MJG were already on that sound before Three Six blew and Ball & G were doing it independently.

It's crazy to put Paul & J on this pedestal because "trap" is the dominant sound of the day. There's a lot of producers that "trap" owes a great debt outside of Paul & J.

Meanwhile, it's hard to name a Hip Hop producer, Dre ain't influence just like it's hard to name a producer in general (across all genres) that Quincy ain't influence.
Spanish Fly and DJ Squeeky

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We dicussed this in that big Quincy thread not too long ago... people were saying rap producers are on his level..lol

Those people are young and stupid..... you dont debate with young or stupid people .... you just school em and then tell em to fukk off...

they have nothing of value to contribute 99% of the time

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps