The NETFLIX QUINCY JONES documentary shows that DRE AND KANYE aint nowhere near this dude

Suzie

Pro
Daps
Yea but jazz purists have no respect for most other genres of music based on the fact that rock/rap/pop/etc artists can't read music, can't write music, etc. So it's like an entirely different level of elitism based on whether you can "play" or not. Whereas a rock or rap purist just prefers their own genre and doesn't like sellouts.

I bet there's some weirdo elitist jazz forum where people hate on Thriller for being a simplistic pop album that Quincy did to make money lmao.
Oh trust it’s out there.
Jazz and Classical snobs are something else

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Yea but jazz purists have no respect for most other genres of music based on the fact that rock/rap/pop/etc artists can't read music, can't write music, etc. So it's like an entirely different level of elitism based on whether you can "play" or not. Whereas a rock or rap purist just prefers their own genre and doesn't like sellouts.

I bet there's some weirdo elitist jazz forum where people hate on Thriller for being a simplistic pop album that Quincy did to make money lmao.

jazz purists look down on all non-art, music/popular music. Thriller to them is like listening to k-pop for hiphop heads

panopticon

Superstar
Daps
in terms of greatness...

it's blashphemy to speak of kanye and dre
In the same breath when speaking of the great QUINCY JONES...
this man is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Everything about the man elicits the purest :wow:

Can't wait to see this doc :banderas:

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Dre shyts on Quincy

Bruh he has thriller and a couple decent jazz albums :camby:

At the end of the day Thriller is a pop record. Like not to get on some hipster shyt, but pop has so much limitation, its gotta be taken with a grain of salt
Quincy Jones could never produce a song about police brutality

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
Dre shyts on Quincy

Bruh he has thriller and a couple decent jazz albums :camby:

At the end of the day Thriller is a pop record. Like not to get on some hipster shyt, but pop has so much limitation, its gotta be taken with a grain of salt
Quincy Jones could never produce a song about police brutality

He made we are the world ..
You underestimating his knowledge and abilities

What about Ashford and Simpson or the homies Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

OP stop it fam. Quincy is dope but he can't make hiphop if he wanted too.

I’m sure he can.. I’m not saying it’ll be great but believe me .. with these daws and sample packs he can find a way.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
He made we are the world ..
You underestimating his knowledge and abilities

I’m sure he can.. I’m not saying it’ll be great but believe me .. with these daws and sample packs he can find a way.
Bruh he made popppp

pop music aint the real .I was born in the 1990s so I missed the MJ wave. Aint nothing you can tell me that Quincy is fukking with his contemporaries in JAZZ. Bruh he aint fukkin wit coltrane, Miles.. real innovators.

And Dre was in innovator in his own field

Im not gonna say MJ wasn't dope as fukk... but he made music in the 1980s and how he fukkin wit G funk? :dahell:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
in terms of greatness...

it's blashphemy to speak of kanye and dre
In the same breath when speaking of the great QUINCY JONES...
this man is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Bro why Dre and Kanye

When are we going to start talking Juice & Pau

The Trap sound is not only mainstream it’s bled into all genres lol

Forget Dre and Ye as producers I never hear about Juice and Paul as pioneers

@THE RETIRED SKJ
I'd argue Babyface, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, or/and Devante Swing are the closest things to being successors of Quincy

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
Bruh he made popppp

pop music aint the real .I was born in the 1990s so I missed the MJ wave. Aint nothing you can tell me that Quincy is fukking with his contemporaries in JAZZ. Bruh he aint fukkin wit coltrane, Miles.. real innovators.

Im not gonna say MJ wasn't dope as fukk... but he made music in the 1980s and how he fukkin wit G funk? :dahell:

Pop is not even an actual genre

Right now hip hop is pop

And thriller actually had a lot of rock and R&B in and was a risk of a record.

So now Quincy isn’t a visionary or innovator ?

Is that what you’re saying ?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd argue Babyface, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, or/and Devante Swing are the closest things to being successors of Quincy

Devante is extremely talented and a legend in his own right, but he isn't nowhere near that echelon of producers. It's basically comparing Jodeci albums to decades of work by Quincy, Face, and Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. Devante dropped the ball with his own crew.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bruh he made popppp

Thriller broke barriers for Black music and you're in here talking about it like it was some fly by noght success.