The myth of billionaires wearing cheap clothes and living frugally busted

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It could be a dumbass meme, in itself, but the principle and intention behind it isn't.

Think of it like this: say you take away the exact amounts of the clothes, and you look at what they cost in relation to the net-worth of the person buying them, and it becomes clearer on what the meme is trying to state. The broke person spent well beyond their means, buying clothes that they can't really afford, instead of investing that money that's going to generate more money. Whereas the billionaire became a billionaire because he didn't invest all his money into overspending on clothes he couldn't really afford.
Which in itself is complete bullshyt. The idea that Zuckerberg is a billionaire because he didn’t buy expensive clothes(which is a lie too btw) is nonsense.

Your ability to be a billionaire or not a billionaire has nothing to do with your investment in clothes. There are about 2500 billionaires on this planet, out of about 7billion people.

ThaBoyBam

You don't respect your jaw!
Daps
I don't know anybody who isn't a millionaire that has spent $800 on a single pair of shoes. but maybe thats what the young brehs are doing now. In my day we were treating $100 shoes like they were expensive.

I was just telling my wife this. Rich folks use expensive shyt for what it’s for. I’m talking actually go skiing in a 2k ski jacket.

I’m in this Rolex group and these rich yt dudes actually go diving in they shyt.

That shyt is crazy to me. :mindblown:

Daps
And you must be daft.
The thread is about busting myths about billionaires wearing cheap clothes, as it's often suggested by the memes and media, whether they can afford $300 t shirt is completely irrelevant.

I could have made a thread about their rather expensive hobbies and extravagant spending of yacht,island,mansions,art collection etc instead but that's not what this thread is about. And judging by nikkas in here capping for them , I have no doubt your reaction would have been the same if the thread was about their lavish spending
Memes are rarely ever supposed to be taken literally (they've typically exaggerated in some manner for effect). And I don't think the media is really out there saying that billionaires are buying cheap clothes like they've come right out of a thrift store. It's simply what they're spending isn't beyond their means. It's about the principle behind it.

I think this is where the disconnect lies, where you're misinterpreting what's being said.

A meme sounds better when it's got $30 for t-shirt and $25 for pants for the billionaire to highlight the relation of affordability, than putting 0.000055% of net-worth for t-shirt and 0.000037% of net-worth for pants for the billionaire.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Memes are rarely ever supposed to be taken literally (they've typically exaggerated in same manner for effect). And I don't think the media is really out there saying that billionaires are buying cheap clothes like they've come right out of a thrift store. It's simply what they're spending isn't beyond their means. It's about the principle behind it.

I think this is where the disconnect is where you're misinterpreting what's being said.

A meme sounds better when it's got $30 for t-shirt and $25 for pants for the billionaire to highlight the relation of affordability, than putting 0.000055% of net-worth for t-shirt and 0.000037% of net-worth for pants for the billionaire.
:mjlol:
full

Daps
Which in itself is complete bullshyt. The idea that Zuckerberg is a billionaire because he didn’t buy expensive clothes(which is a lie too btw) is nonsense.
Do you have any proof that Zuckerberg was spending beyond his means on clothes when he was starting off?
Your ability to be a billionaire or not a billionaire has nothing to do with your investment in clothes. There are about 2500 billionaires on this planet, out of about 7billion people.
Of course it does.

You don't make that much money unnecessarily buying material things that you can't afford, and that don't expand your wealth. You buy material things once you can afford to -- not before. You think when Zuckerberg started writing code and developed Facebook that whilst he was doing that he was spending $300 on shirts? There's a reason why he got a $100k loan from his parents and invested all of it into Facebook.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Do you have any proof that Zuckerberg was spending beyond his means on clothes when he was starting off?

Of course it does.

You don't make that much money unnecessarily buying material things that you can't afford, and that don't expand your wealth. You buy material things once you can afford to -- not before. You think when Zuckerberg started writing code and developed Facebook that whilst he was doing that he was spending $300 on shirts? There's a reason why he got a $100k loan from his parents and invested all of it into Facebook.
You’re basically going round in circles

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
You’re basically going round in circles
He just juelzing at this point. also there are pictures of Mark Zuckerberg wearing name brand clothing before he ever had his first job. So lets not act like if he was broke he would've stuck to wearing walmart brands, because he was broke at one point and was still rocking Adidas slides, Tommy Hilfiger and Gap hoodies all the time.

Daps
He just juelzing at this point. also there are pictures of Mark Zuckerberg wearing name brand clothing before he ever had his first job. So lets not act like if he was broke he would've stuck to wearing walmart brands, but he was broke at one point and was still rocking Adidas slides, Tommy Hilfiger and Gap hoodies all the time.
And you have proof of this? Do you also have proof that he spent his own money on these clothing items? You have proof Zuckerberg was out here when he was "broke" during college and swimming in Tommy Hilfiger as his regular get-up?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
And you have proof of this? Do you also have proof that he spent his own money on these clothing items?
If he didn't have his own money to spend for his clothes than he was definitely spending above his means :mjlol:
lets say he used scholarship money to buy his wardrobe, Or borrowed from his parents. how does that support your point?

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think the idea of this "myth" is being misconstrued. At the heart of the message is people shouldn't be overspending (clothes, cars, food, etc.), and especially not for the sole purpose of impressing people.

No its not. The heart of the message is that black ppl are financially stupid and white nerds are frugal. That's what this myth is about. Its always been classist and racist