The myth of billionaires wearing cheap clothes and living frugally busted

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
Man, I'm glad someone is saying it because this kind of nonsense gets spread among black folks like crazy and it's bad for our politics as well as the poor and middle class. I think it needs to be re-emphasized that the point that those myths try to make is that the reason the Gates and Zuckerbergs of the world are where they are is because they are frugal.

The other part that people really don't talk about is that most of those guys were already well off or come from well connected/rich families in the first place. Jeff Bezos got like a 200k lone from his rich cattle ranching family to start Amazon. Bill Gates's father was an established patent lawyer, and I think Zuckerberg's parents are rich as well. The rags to riches story in the U.S. is largely non-existent aside from a few outliers.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I’ve bern saying this lol. You can go to these higher end stores and see sone of the weakest clothes that cost way more than you’d think. Go in a Neiman Marcus and you’ll see overpriced plain tees and old people cardigans.

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Wealthy people wear expensive clothes but it's usually under-stated shyt. The t-shirt looks like something you buy for $10 at Target but it's actually 30x the price.

They don't wear shyt that entertainers wear. They dress like an accountant or engineer but just with high end brands we've never heard of.

Moving goalposts...

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
These are cheap clothes by their standards is my point. Everything is relative. A $4 shirt from a second hand store is expensive AF to someone living in a developing country.

It's not about being able to afford the clothes, it's about what kinda dent it puts in your proportional net worth/salary overall. This shyt is literally worth less than a penny to them relative to our spending/income

bullshyt people say they are not wearing expensive clothing. Even though they are rich and can afford it

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's not frugal, he has mansions all over the place. Now warren buffet is frugal for a billionaire.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
577e7875b0b7d.jpeg

This dumbass meme used to make so angry.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Last edited:
Daps
577e7875b0b7d.jpeg

This dumbass meme used to make so angry.
It could be a dumbass meme, in itself, but the principle and intention behind it isn't.

Think of it like this: say you take away the exact amounts of the clothes, and you look at what they cost in relation to the net-worth of the person buying them, and it becomes clearer on what the meme is trying to state. The broke person spent well beyond their means, buying clothes that they can't really afford, instead of investing that money that's going to generate more money. Whereas the billionaire became a billionaire because he didn't invest all his money into overspending on clothes he couldn't really afford.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
On top of that, most cats shyt be fake if we want to keep it a bean. The demographic that these memes attempt to appeal to coppin from farmers markets.
I don't know anybody who isn't a millionaire that has spent $800 on a single pair of shoes. but maybe thats what the young brehs are doing now. In my day we were treating $100 shoes like they were expensive.