The myth of billionaires wearing cheap clothes and living frugally busted

Daps
The point is that his wealth and power has nothing to do with his clothes. He could’ve spent $1000 as a student at Stanford buying Gucci socks and it would’ve made no difference to Facebook being founded and him being wealthy.
His wealth and power has all to do what he invested his money in. He didn't spend his money on buying clothes, otherwise, he wouldn't be where he is now. Now, that doesn't mean he literally wasn't buying any clothes, whatsoever, or he didn't ever buy a piece of expensive clothing. It's just he wasn't spending money on clothes he couldn't afford.

The problem is, you're applying this faulty logic where you're thinking if he spent x-amount-expensive on a clothing item out of the money that his parents gave him, or bought any expensive piece of clothing out of his own pocket as a one-time purchase, that it wouldn't have changed anything. What I'm trying to tell you is, and running off that meme, he wasn't living a lifestyle of where he was buying expensive clothes. The broke person in that meme you posted isn't just making a one-off purchase of buying expensive clothes -- that is their spending habits when they buy clothes. If Zuckerberg had the spending habits of buying a "$1000 Gucci belt" when he was broke, he wouldn't be where he is now.

One-time purchase =/= spending habits.

It's ridiculous this has to be pointed out to you.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Fam I'm looking at his college pics right now and I see Izod and Gap. Which is like $30-$50. Along with random shorts and t-shirts.

19rutenberg4-superJumbo.jpg

ZuckHughes.jpg

WATCH-A-Young-Mark-Zuckerberg-Explains-Facebook.jpg

I don't see any expensive shyt. Hell, most of what you mentioned isn't expensive, at all. Hilfiger and Polo being the exception, but even that depends on what you buy.

Harvard gear you can get for as cheap as $30-$40.

Now, I'm not familiar with his back ground so if he was doing interviews talking about :damn: "I started from the bottom, we barely had food!" but was rocking Polo, cool. I get your point. But beyond that, anyone working a decent 9-5 would be able to dress how he did back then.

Fred.
there are also adidas slide in the first pic you posted. plus a harvard hoodie is like $80 bucks. not $30. I went to much smaller college and i couldn't get any school hoodies for $30 only a t-shirt. but the bolded is my point. He dressed like anybody else. Yet the meme makes it seem like Millionaire's dress cheaper than a normal 9-5 person. These images are proof he wasn't even dressing cheaper than us before he was a millionaire. this isn't fugal. Definitely wasn't spending only on $12 shoes

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
As far as the overarching point....

Generally speaking, these types of rich people aren't "cool". What I mean is, Mark Zuckerberg doesn't know how to dress. He has zero fashion sense.

So it's not a matter of him not wanting to waste money on clothes. It's a matter of, he's a god damn computer geek. He's not into expensive clothes because he has no frame of reference for that sort of thing.

Fred.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
His wealth and power has all to do what he invested his money in. He didn't spend his money on buying clothes, otherwise, he wouldn't be where he is now. Now, that doesn't mean he literally wasn't buying any clothes, whatsoever, or he didn't ever buy a piece of expensive clothing. It's just he wasn't spending money on clothes he couldn't afford.

The problem is, you're applying this faulty logic where you're thinking if he spent x-amount-expensive on a clothing item out of the money that his parents gave him, or bought any expensive piece of clothing out of his own pocket as a one-time purchase, that it wouldn't have changed anything. What I'm trying to tell you is, and running off that meme, he wasn't living a lifestyle of where he was buying expensive clothes. The broke person in that meme you posted isn't just making a one-off purchase of buying expensive clothes -- that is their spending habits when they buy clothes. If Zuckerberg had the spending habits of buying a "$1000 Gucci belt" when he was broke, he wouldn't be where he is now.

One-time purchase =/= spending habits.

It's ridiculous this has to be pointed out to you.

Look who’s talking. I’m done with your dumbass :mjlol:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
there are also adidas slide in the first pic you posted. plus a harvard hoodie is like $80 bucks. not $30. I went to much smaller college and i couldn't get any school hoodies for $30 only a t-shirt. but the bolded is my point. He dressed like anybody else. Yet the meme makes it seem like Millionaire's dress cheaper than a normal 9-5 person. These images are proof he wasn't even dressing cheaper than us before he was a millionaire. this isn't fugal. Definitely wasn't spending only on $12 shoes
Adidas slides are like $30 man. You're acting like he's wearing some Off Whites. :mjlol:

And I'm literally looking at the Harvard shop site, on the campus. There's several sweat shirts and hoodies for $35.

Anyway, that's not what the meme is saying. The meme is saying people that can't afford expensive clothes are more likely to buy it than rich people, that actually can.
Which isn't necessarily true, but it's not supposed to be. It's a god damn meme. :mjlol:

I'm just saying Mark Zuckerberg is a bad example because he looks like he was middle class back then. Nothing in any of his pics screams "I blow money on clothes".

Fred.

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
The myth was never about billionaires spending "within their means" though. Their means could be pretty much anything.

The myth was billionaires live like broke ass college students eating 75cent ramen and rocking 12 dollar shoes. While black men wore 800 dollar shoes and 100000 dollar chains.

Zuckerburg isnt goung broke no matter how he dressed, but the meme is complete bullshyt. Rich people stunt just like middle class just like poor. All tax brackets do.

A 300 dollar shirt is not a 30dollar shirt. He can afford 30,000 dollar shirts, but that dont make them 30 dollar shirts.

We dont have to lie to make billionaires look better... its really weird shyt

Exactly.

Shyt even a $100,000 t shirt(if such existed) would still have him living within his means but rocking $300 t shirt destroys the myth that home boy is out here dressing like a broke high school kid and that's the secret of his success:mjlol:

Daps
This dumbass @Gil Scott-Heroin negged me. So dumb he has to resort to negging :laff:
This doesn't make any sense.

I didn't resort to negging you. I destroyed your argument and pointed out where your logic went wrong. I negged you because after our first exchange you couldn't even address my posts properly, resorting to "you're dumb". And then you started up another argument with me when I was talking to someone else, and that one resulted in the same ending with you saying "I'm done with your dumbass". Then to make matters worse, you beg for my attention again in front of everyone hoping to get a response, instead of using that opportunity to actually address what I said.

You're like a 5-year-old who doesn't have the mental maturity to acknowledge and identify where they went wrong, so they resort to you're dumb.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This doesn't make any sense.

I didn't resort to negging you. I destroyed your argument and pointed out where your logic went wrong. I negged you because after our first exchange you couldn't even address my posts properly, resorting to "you're dumb". And then you started up another argument with me when I was talking to someone else, and that one resulted in the same ending with you saying "I'm done with your dumbass". Then to make matters worse, you beg for my attention again in front of everyone hoping to get a response, instead of using that opportunity to actually address what I said.

You're like a 5-year-old who doesn't have the mental maturity to acknowledge and identify where they went wrong, so they resort to you're dumb.
You destroyed my argument and won and still resorted to negging :laff:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Adidas slides are like $30 man. You're acting like he's wearing some Off Whites. :mjlol:

And I'm literally looking at the Harvard shop site, on the campus. There's several sweat shirts and hoodies for $35.

Anyway, that's not what the meme is saying. The meme is saying people that can't afford expensive clothes are more likely to buy it than rich people, that actually can.
Which isn't necessarily true, but it's not supposed to be. It's a god damn meme. :mjlol:

I'm just saying Mark Zuckerberg is a bad example because he looks like he was middle class back then. Nothing in any of his pics screams "I blow money on clothes".

Fred.
You guys keep moving the goal posts. :snoop:
I'm not saying he is blowing money on clothes, I'm saying its a myth he was going out of his way to save money on clothes. Dude was not buying off brand stuff and searching thrift shops. That wasn't his secret to getting rich, He was spending like any normal person. The meme show different prices for the shoes and yet most folks i know were rocking adidas slides just like him. No $12 dollar shoes, no mythical $800 shoes either. also there is not a single hoodie on the harvard website for $35 you are literally lying right now :deadmanny:

Daps
Exactly.

Shyt even a $100,000 t shirt(if such existed) would still have him living within his means but rocking $300 t shirt destroys the myth that home boy is out here dressing like a broke high school kid and that's the secret of his success:mjlol:
You don't think that the "secret of his success" was investing in an endeavor to make money, rather than spending it on clothes? As it's been pointed out above, he's a white geek, do you think at any point of his life he's had any fashion sense to where he'd end up broke because he spent money on clothes that he couldn't afford......

:manny:

Your comparison of a $100 shirt and a $300 shirt being the scale in which destroys the myth, doesn't make one bit of sense. The difference between the two in relation to what he can afford is completely insignificant.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
You don't think that the "secret of his success" was investing in an endeavor to make money, rather than spending it on clothes? As it's been pointed out above, he's a white geek, do you think at any point of his life he's had any fashion sense to where he'd end up broke because he spent money on clothes that he couldn't afford......

:manny:

Your comparison of a $100 shirt and a $300 shirt being the scale in which destroys the myth, doesn't make one bit of sense. The difference between the two in relation to what he can afford is completely insignificant.
Whatever investments he made, his wealth has nothing do with his clothing budget. I just showed he wasn't dressing any cheaper than anyone else. You guys have been proven wrong and yet are still to win the argument. you really out here negging people for agreeing with your bs :russ: