The myth of billionaires wearing cheap clothes and living frugally busted

Daps
Broke people trying to flex will buy apparel with a gaudy label on it, thinking the Gucci or Louis logo signifies quality.

People with actual taste and money buy apparel that has premium construction and uses high quality fabric and threading. There won’t be any visible labels on their clothing, but the fit will be so immaculate that it looks like it’s well above what your average person wears.

:francis:

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
There seems to be a lot of disagreement regarding the true intent of the meme/myth. If you didn't actually create it, it's going to be difficult to know which message was intended. It could be any one or even a combination of:
  1. Wealthy people don't care about impressing others as much as poor people and it shows in their spending habits. While poor people tend care so much that they overspend, often to their financial detriment.
  2. Wealthy people got/stay rich by being frugal. Broke people stay/fall broke by spending freely.
  3. Wealthy people don't look "rich" and tend dress more modestly, while the people actually wearing "expensive" clothes are really broke.
  4. This race of people is bad with money. That other race of people is good with money.
Excluding #4, I feel there is some merit to all of these ideas, myth or not. Sometimes we get so set on one position that we ignore anything else that can be taken from the subject at hand. I see no issue with anyone seeing this meme and thinking: "Maybe I should reconsider my spending habits".

Another thing to keep in mind, as with most things online, the meme is showing extremes. The majority of non-rich people aren't spending crazy amounts of money on cars or clothes. The majority of wealthy people aren't shopping at the thrift store.

Loopholes and exploits build wealth.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
As i’ve grown older this kind of stuff within a certain context is all semantics.

Millionaires and Billionaires are going to spend their money on SOMETHING. And it most likely is going to be stuff the common man can’t afford. It is what it is. As long as they are not spending over the amount they earned then who gives a fukk?

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
So explain sienfield? Is that different cuz hes a cac? Are cac millionaires allowed to rock jordans but black millionaires cant?
Jordan’s ain’t the point.

The richer you get the more access to items that aren’t going to appear on an episode of MTV Cribs or Anthony Bourdain.

Anyone who has traveled outside of the US would tell you tourist spots and what the locals know aren’t the same experience. Heck, Times Square is expensive but it’s cultivated to show a certain image to outsiders. That’s not the same thing as this is the best steak/restaurant in America cause it’s in Times Square. If you have money and time to find it you can have it.

So if you have money to spend months in foreign countries you will learn about different stuff.

Stop getting caught in your feelings trying to make it a race thing when it’s just a fact of living.

Last edited:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:gucci: It’s obviously a cac/c00n/agent :mjpls: meme

It ain’t never been about no damn living within your means. :what:

It’s an evolution of the old ‘nikkas in the hood are broke cause they buy Jordans’

The fact that you have to explain this on a black forum is a joke

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Jordan’s ain’t the point.

The richer you get the more access to items that aren’t going to appear on an episode of MTV Cribs or Anthony Bourdain.

Anyone who has traveled outside of the US would tell you tourist spots and what the locals know aren’t the same experience. Heck, Times Square is expensive but it’s cultivated to show a certain image to outsiders. That’s not the same thing as this is the best steak/restaurant in America cause it’s in Times Square. If you have money and time to find it you can have it.

So if you have money to spend months in foreign countries you will learn about different stuff.

Stop getting caught in your feelings trying to make it a race thing when it’s just a fact of living.

Your post has nothing to do with the meme OP is talking about.

alpo

Dade County carol city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carol city
Man, I'm glad someone is saying it because this kind of nonsense gets spread among black folks like crazy and it's bad for our politics as well as the poor and middle class. I think it needs to be re-emphasized that the point that those myths try to make is that the reason the Gates and Zuckerbergs of the world are where they are is because they are frugal.

The other part that people really don't talk about is that most of those guys were already well off or come from well connected/rich families in the first place. Jeff Bezos got like a 200k lone from his rich cattle ranching family to start Amazon. Bill Gates's father was an established patent lawyer, and I think Zuckerberg's parents are rich as well. The rags to riches story in the U.S. is largely non-existent aside from a few outliers.

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
I'm gonna add this from Mark Zuckerbergs wiki just to show how ridiculous these memes are and how people never really know the full story of how these people got to where they are:

Zuckerberg began using computers and writing software in middle school. His father taught him Atari BASIC Programming in the 1990s, and later hired software developer David Newman to tutor him privately. Zuckerberg took a graduate course in the subject at Mercy College near his home while still in high school. In one program, since his father's dental practice was operated from their home, he built a software program he called "ZuckNet" that allowed all the computers between the house and dental office to communicate with each other. It is considered a "primitive" version of AOL's Instant Messenger, which came out the following year.

How many working class families you know have this kind of access, especially black families?