The movie The Breaks tonight on Vh1 (Starring Mack Wilds and Method Man)

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Those records... the vast majority of 'em... were bullshyt.

I mean if you were about 7 years old or so, Hammer was dope as fukk. I respect that dude wasn't tryin' to be anything he wasn't, and considered himself as more of a James Brown-esque entertainer... but them records were wack, breh. And the more time went on, they got worse and worse. Him, Vanilla Ice's corny ass, Marky Mark, Gerardo, all that bullshyt. And it was even worse that THESE were the songs that were breaking thru mainstream and being viewed as what "rap" was. Meanwhile, there was a long line of artists pushing the envelope inside of hip-hop that really deserved that same respect, meanwhile even black radio was still turning it away.

DJDONTNOBODYPAYME

- 8ball Investments™ CEO -
Daps
Reppin
Myself
You can't always say that Black Radio is the issue tho.

If the reason why the Scale is set up that way like it is then the African-American and as well as the Urban Consumer aren't the issue.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
You can't always say that Black Radio is the issue tho.

If the reason why the Scale is set up that way like it is then the African-American and as well as the Urban Consumer aren't the issue.

There really is no Black Radio anyway... but back then, the people who were the bosses at the stations were no help either. They were older people who didn't care for rap and were resistant to breaking from the R&B playlist. Even if there were R&B songs with raps on them, the labels would service "no rap versions" with the parts edited out so they could get played. That was a regular thing back then... it took a lot for hip-hop to get to the point it's at now. Back then, the old guard was still running things and not into hip-hop. The only time you could catch it is later in the night on the mix shows, because they acknowledged that there was a young fanbase out there that liked it, but they preferred it to be tucked away from the rest of their regular rotation.

DJDONTNOBODYPAYME

- 8ball Investments™ CEO -
Daps
Reppin
Myself
There really is no Black Radio anyway... but back then, the people who were the bosses at the stations were no help either. They were older people who didn't care for rap and were resistant to breaking from the R&B playlist. Even if there were R&B songs with raps on them, the labels would service "no rap versions" with the parts edited out so they could get played. That was a regular thing back then... it took a lot for hip-hop to get to the point it's at now. Back then, the old guard was still running things and not into hip-hop. The only time you could catch it is later in the night on the mix shows, because they acknowledged that there was a young fanbase out there that liked it, but they preferred it to be tucked away from the rest of their regular rotation.

:russ: I remember the days when they used to cut out the Raps. I remember when "Music" first came out all they would play is the hook lol. They had been doing shyt like it before that song came out but that one stood out like a muthafukka

But that's the part where we end up unnecessarily blaming ourselves and end up ultimately putting the Matter over the Mind. But that's a different Thread.

Those people who were "in charge" have Bosses/Shareholders too. Even if they have the purest hearts in the world, they're usually inadequate to do anything else but except for follow orders

Black Entertainment gets a bad rap all because of demographics and prejudice of no real wrong doing of our own.

And all of these People buying into the hype and illusion of Satellite Radio aren't really hip to the game either :francis:

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
:russ: meth a CNA and I see they got the CAC fighting to have hip hop played on the radio already and was dissing hammer

You realize it was actually white stations in Europe that supported hip hop videos before black stations in America right? Radio was similar in that the traditional black aimed radio stations that played funk, soul etc wanted no part of hip hop.

Whitey ain't all bad breh :ld:

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
Nope this one

images

That's what the movie is based on and I believe they're trying to make it into a show.

The "Tanning Of America" is a great read as well around how big business tapped hip hop culture

Last edited: