The movie The Breaks tonight on Vh1 (Starring Mack Wilds and Method Man)

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
he's very close-minded when it comes to hip hop and he wears it like a badge of honor because he thinks it makes him cool/different

he's been a DJ for the last 20+ years on Hot97 & in The Tunnel and all this shyt, worked at Loud or something, Rawkus, all kinds of shyt and he acts like he knows sweet fukk all about most of the artists that come to Juan Ep.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
not very great at all

2 minutes in and the slang that was used was too contemporary.

didn't appreciate the cac hip-hop "savior" tryin' to school folks on real hip-hop - havin' the brothers lookin' crazy (while dissin' Hammer in the process)

the whole "real hip-hop" angle from the girl got played out after awhile - back in the 90's there were so many labels that were putting out and supporting what some would consider was real hip-hop (Loud Records, Wild Pitch, Penalty, etc.), along with the underground/college radio shows that were playing it, for that theme to be a point of emphasis was unnecessary.

I feel like there is a better story out there for this era.

I did get :banderas: when Kool G Rap's "The Streets of New York" came on
I disagree about the real hip hop angle (keep in mind I only saw about half the movie). That was a real issue around the time Hammer and Vanilla Ice were blowing up with bullshyt records.

I agree wholeheartedly that it was unfortunate that the one character was white. Totally unnecessary.

Streets of NY though :wow:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
idk about rakim cause he and eric b had a album drop in 1990 or 1992 so people must have still fukked with them. but yeah it doesn't make sense, like if said a dude like afrika bambaataa that was a pioneer it would kinda make a little sense. but yeah Rakim or Kane would be a peer at that time.
Both 1990 and 1992. The last scene I saw last night Let The Rhythm Hit Em was playing :wow:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Last edited:

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
I disagree about the real hip hop angle (keep in mind I only saw about half the movie). That was a real issue around the time Hammer and Vanilla Ice were blowing up with bullshyt records.

I agree wholeheartedly that it was unfortunate that the one character was white. Totally unnecessary.

Streets of NY though :wow:

respect

watch the rest of it - like i said the "real hip-hop" angle became very unnecessary after awhile in part because of the labels I cited that were doing "real" hiphop.

I get it though, I don't want to hold them on a strict 90's timeline and I guess the show is incorporating all aspects of the early to mid 90's, but condensed into a 2 hour movie it became a bit jarring hearing the chick say that every 2 minutes.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
gawd damn this thread is only 5 pages?

I thought the movie was aight. The raps were pretty good. Would've done better if it was a series tho, shyt didn't have a movie feel.

Phonte did his thing.

RAW_SPK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
N.I.N.
I thought it was alright...more true to the culture than Empire :scust:

Most definitely...wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. for something that has to cater to every demographic at least.

I thought it was cool. It ended like that because they might turn it into a show so they wanted to leave things open

Thats what they saying is gunna happen