The movie The Breaks tonight on Vh1 (Starring Mack Wilds and Method Man)

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
fukk a hater,get money

Vanilla_Ice_and_MC_Hammer.jpg

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
:mjlol: I love this revisionist bullshyt about how Hammer wasn't really that bad. Yeah he did open a lot of doors that a lot of rappers followed through in years to come as far as endorsements etc go but the music was still and is still wack. it's the same poppy mainstream crap that is around today, it's for the kids and pop fans and that's fine but don't go around saying he made great Hip Hop albums especially in comparison to some of the shyt that was actually around at the time.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

if you thought this shyt was dope... then :manny:

But :stopitslime:

I didn't know this was some unheard of shyt... there wasn't some bunch of core hip-hop fans bumpin' Hammer, especially by '90. It was either indifference or nikkas really wasn't fukkin' with it. He sold a lot and whatnot, but it wasn't like the same nikkas buyin' NWA, Cube, & PE were coppin' his shyt.

Last edited:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol: I love this revisionist bullshyt about how Hammer wasn't really that bad. Yeah he did open a lot of doors that a lot of rappers followed through in years to come as far as endorsements etc go but the music was still and is still wack. it's the same poppy mainstream crap that is around today, it's for the kids and pop fans and that's fine but don't go around saying he made great Hip Hop albums especially in comparison to some of the shyt that was actually around at the time.

Its true,Hammer wasn't that bad...Cant Touch This,Too Legit 2 Quit,Have You Seen her was wack:comeon:?Lets not pretend nikkas hating was buying Hammers albums and critiquing him based on his artistic shortcomings....Hammer didn't get hate for being that bad,he was getting hate because of the amount of attention,money and sales he was getting,WHILE not being the best....People better and more skilled as emcees got hate before Hammer,and have continued to get hate after Hammer...That comes with the territory of hiphop,and I'm not mad at that,in some ways the hate was fair but in a lot of ways it wasn't.

In Hammers case we need some retrospect,we need to acknowledge the hate mostly came from Hammers success,rappers was using the "real hiphop" shield to drop salt on a once in a lifetime talent,and all around good nikka:mjcry:...I can say with 99% certainty if Hammer put out the exact same music but was selling like 1-2 million instead of diamond,and wasn't getting his own cartoons and action figures,it wouldn't have been the problem....that's why in a sense its okay to point out the phoniness of the crusade:sas1:

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Its true,Hammer wasn't that bad...Cant Touch This,Too Legit 2 Quit,Have You Seen her was wack:comeon:?Lets not pretend nikkas hating was buying Hammers albums and critiquing him based on his artistic shortcomings....Hammer didn't get hate for being that bad,he was getting hate because of the amount of attention,money and sales he was getting,WHILE not being the best....People better and more skilled as emcees got hate before Hammer,and have continued to get hate after Hammer...That comes with the territory of hiphop,and I'm not mad at that,in some ways the hate was fair but in a lot of ways it wasn't.

In Hammers case we need some retrospect,we need to acknowledge the hate mostly came from Hammers success,rappers was using the "real hiphop" shield to drop salt on a once in a lifetime talent,and all around good nikka:mjcry:...I can say with 99% certainty if Hammer put out the exact same music but was selling like 1-2 million instead of diamond,and wasn't getting his own cartoons and action figures,it wouldn't have been the problem....that's why in a sense its okay to point out the phoniness of the crusade:sas1:

If he wasn't the huge blowout success and only doing platinum then he would still get hate. PM dawn wasn't going diamond but they got hate and were called wack by other rappers. All the extra shyt was deemed as being a sellout by most rappers and heads, but the music was also not that good. How often do you listen to a Hammer album these days? Some of it was good for that time just like many things are good for a certain time period. There were and are menu reasons to hate on Hammer and many reasons to love him but when you hear love for Hamner it's not about the music 99% of the time it's about how he gave everyone a job or had all these things like cartoons and commercials.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If he wasn't the huge blowout success and only doing platinum then he would still get hate. PM dawn wasn't going diamond but they got hate and were called wack by other rappers. All the extra shyt was deemed as being a sellout by most rappers and heads, but the music was also not that good. How often do you listen to a Hammer album these days? Some of it was good for that time just like many things are good for a certain time period. There were and are menu reasons to hate on Hammer and many reasons to love him but when you hear love for Hamner it's not about the music 99% of the time it's about how he gave everyone a job or had all these things like cartoons and commercials.

We cant compare a once in a lifetime talent/one of the greatest performers of all time to PM Dawn:whoa:,Besides I don't think PM Dawn got a fraction of the hate Hammer got but its possible...Lets just say the hate would've been relative to the success and he would've received a fraction of the hate that he got as a diamond seller....Plus I don't think you can compare PM Dawn,Hammers records without Hammers popularity are not an abomination..

I don't listen to any Hammer albums though now that I know better,but I was a fan back then and he had some cuts,as a kid back home I saw nothing but pride and everybody and they mama acting like they was related to Hammer,or had a Hammer story,or knew somebody in his camp:mjcry:

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
We cant compare a once in a lifetime talent/one of the greatest performers of all time to PM Dawn:whoa:,Besides I don't think PM Dawn got a fraction of the hate Hammer got but its possible...Lets just say the hate would've been relative to the success and he would've received a fraction of the hate that he got as a diamond seller....Plus I don't think you can compare PM Dawn,Hammers records without Hammers popularity are not an abomination..

I don't listen to any Hammer albums though now that I know better,but I was a fan back then and he had some cuts,as a kid back home I saw nothing but pride and everybody and they mama acting like they was related to Hammer,or had a Hammer story,or knew somebody in his camp:mjcry:

That's my point. I was a fan as a kid too, I had the Hammer tapes and Vanilla Ice too. I was 8-10 at the time, his music was for the pop fans and the kids who don't know better. It's all good to say he was great for Hip Hop in the grand scheme of things and he brought it to a fan base that had never heard it before but that doesn't make the music any better the music is still the music. Te Breaks is set in 1990 and to pretend Hammer didn't get a lot of hate back hen is just stupid. This all started from dude in the thread saying Hammer didn't get hate like that and the "real hip hop" angle was heavy handed in the movie. It's not heavy handed cos that's how it was. You had cats making diss songs to Hammer and Vanilla Ice etc saying they weren't real Hip Hop. That was a big thing back then just like it always has been. I read an old Source mag a while ago and you see rappers in there complaining about Tribe and others saying it's not hard enough and all that shyt, it's not "real hip hop"

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps

if you thought this shyt was dope... then :manny:

But :stopitslime:

I didn't know this was some unheard of shyt... there wasn't some bunch of core hip-hop fans bumpin' Hammer, especially by '90. It was either indifference or nikkas really wasn't fukkin' with it. He sold a lot and whatnot, but it wasn't like the same nikkas buyin' NWA, Cube, & PE were coppin' his shyt.

nikka you a common sucka ass hater like them other ho nikkas.
So hammer is wack cause he's not like cube,nwa and PE?
And yes i was bumpin all of them and hammer although I think they're vastly different from him.

My problem is how nikkas rearrange the rules to hate on nikkas. If some other nikkas aint spitting that next level commentary in their music and basically just having fun,it's cool but then you'll act like it's not cool as a form of hating on a nikka whom was selling a ton of records.

These songs all made your new jack city mix tape
1- New Jack Swing3- Oochie Coochie- MC Brains10- Make U Mine- MC Trouble w/ the Good Girls/35- Treat Em Like they Want To Be Treated- Father MC w/ Jodeci/17- Ownlee Eue- Kwame

Hammer is a more credible ARTIST than any of these people and has better singles than all of them. Why is it ok for them to not be "nwa.PE or cube" but "hammer made bullshyt records"

o-MC-HAMMER-BIRTHDAY-facebook.jpg

nikkas aint making sense

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
And yes i was bumpin all of them and hammer although I think they're vastly different from him.

My problem is how nikkas rearrange the rules to hate on nikkas. If some other nikkas aint spitting that next level commentary in their music and basically just having fun,it's cool but then you'll act like it's not cool as a form of hating on a nikka whom was selling a ton of records.

1- New Jack Swing3- Oochie Coochie- MC Brains10- Make U Mine- MC Trouble w/ the Good Girls/35- Treat Em Like they Want To Be Treated- Father MC w/ Jodeci/17- Ownlee Eue- Kwame

Hammer is a more credible ARTIST than any of these people and has better singles than all of them. Why is it ok for them to not be "nwa.PE or cube" but "hammer made bullshyt records"

nikkas aint making sense

i don't see anyone racing to defend MC Brains or Kwame as if they were amazing MC's. as i remember, most rappers weren't big fans of Father MC and that type of shyt anyway, a lot of that shyt was called wack or sellout back in the day by a lot of artists

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
i don't see anyone racing to defend MC Brains or Kwame as if they were amazing MC's. as i remember, most rappers weren't big fans of Father MC and that type of shyt anyway, a lot of that shyt was called wack or sellout back in the day by a lot of artists
who's calling hammer an amazing mc though? And for the record I enjoyed all them records I called out,just making a point.
The person I was talking to,was talking down on mc hammer and citing him for not being like nwa,PE,cube and saying his records were wack. But he's a hypocrite

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

nikkas aint making sense

nikka, Hammer was wack, and so was Vanilla Ice, and so was Young MC, and so was Marky Mark, and so was Rico Suave, and so was PM Dawn, and all that... you can :cape: for this nikka all you want, it is what it is. If you wore British Knights and watched the cartoon, good for you.

I respect the dude for doin' a lot for his community and being a great stage performer... but there's nothing that's gonna make that wack shyt good in retrospect. And it ain't just about MY opinion, this was a fleeting opinion at the time. Just cause you were bumpin' the Addams Family rap, doesn't mean everybody was. He sold a gang of records, so did Ice, and most of the people who bought 'em won't even admit they did now. :lolbron:

Stop gettin' emotional over wack shyt all the time, I didn't say Hammer had to be Cube or PE... I just used those artists as examples, that audience was not the same ones fukkin' with Hammer.

Last edited:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
nikka, Hammer was wack, and so was Vanilla Ice, and so was Young MC, and so was Marky Mark, and so was Rico Suave, and so was PM Dawn, and all that... you can :cape: for this nikka all you want, it is what it is. If you wore British Knights and watched the cartoon, good for you.

I respect the dude for doin' a lot for his community and being a great stage performer... but there's nothing that's gonna make that wack shyt good in retrospect. And it ain't just about MY opinion, this was a fleeting opinion at the time. Just cause you were bumpin' the Addams Family rap, doesn't mean everybody was. He sold a gang of records, so did Ice, and most of the people who bought 'em won't even admit they did now. :lolbron:
ok and this dispels the solid points I made..... in what way? How am I wrong?
I don't give a shyt if you like hammer or not,but when you cite him for not being like Certain others and give passes to others whom were also not like them nikkas that makes you a sucka. All the smiles in the world won't change that

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
ok and this dispels the solid points I made..... in what way? How am I wrong?
I don't give a shyt if you like hammer or not,but when you cite him for not being like Certain others and give passes to others whom were also not like them nikkas that makes you a sucka. All the smiles in the world won't change that

Your emotional connection to "2 Legit 2 Quit" is not allowing you to comprehend...

I'm not knockin' him for not being like Cube or PE. I said the audience that was into them (and a shytload of other artists) weren't the ones bumpin' Hammer. Kids liked Hammer. The pop crowd liked Hammer. White kids who weren't really following hip-hop liked Hammer. And guess what happened? Within three years, these people got exposed to better shyt than Hammer & Vanilla Ice and dropped that shyt so fast. I will give 'em props for that tho', they were a gateway for a lot of people who weren't into hip-hop... and soon as they saw what else was out there, the hits stopped for them cheeseball MFs.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Those records... the vast majority of 'em... were bullshyt.

I mean if you were about 7 years old or so, Hammer was dope as fukk. I respect that dude wasn't tryin' to be anything he wasn't, and considered himself as more of a James Brown-esque entertainer... but them records were wack, breh. And the more time went on, they got worse and worse. Him, Vanilla Ice's corny ass, Marky Mark, Gerardo, all that bullshyt. And it was even worse that THESE were the songs that were breaking thru mainstream and being viewed as what "rap" was. Meanwhile, there was a long line of artists pushing the envelope inside of hip-hop that really deserved that same respect, meanwhile even black radio was still turning it away.
@DANJ! You can't make post like this and then say YOU'RE REFERRING TO THE AUDIENCE,this is YOUR opinion on hammer