The movie The Breaks tonight on Vh1 (Starring Mack Wilds and Method Man)

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Bedwenching.

Method Man playing a nurse:wtb:

This cac being a crusader of "real hiphop" telling these two black men they don't know what real hiphop is,disrespecting the gawd MC Hammer in the same breath.

And I only been watching for about 15 minutes:scust:
Hip hop being real wasn't a bad thing back then. Hip hop still had artistic integrity.
But yeah, that scene was cringeworthy.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
So the movie is based in 1990, but the guy was rhyming about Rakim and Kane being pioneers? Even though he was supposedly washed up by then? Which means he would have been their peers?

By 90/91 the sound was changing, even in NY the rhymes and beat styles were changing. The book focuses a lot (deservedly) on Def Jam and the inner working of how Hip Hop broke into the radio, as much as white radio didn't want rap on rock stations, a lot of black radio hosts and PDs didn't want it on their stations either.

I finally finished the book the other day actually

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
By 90/91 the sound was changing, even in NY the rhymes and beat styles were changing. The book focuses a lot (deservedly) on Def Jam and the inner working of how Hip Hop broke into the radio, as much as white radio didn't want rap on rock stations, a lot of black radio hosts and PDs didn't want it on their stations either.

I finally finished the book the other day actually
This book?
51KdhDF0ptL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
not very great at all

2 minutes in and the slang that was used was too contemporary.

didn't appreciate the cac hip-hop "savior" tryin' to school folks on real hip-hop - havin' the brothers lookin' crazy (while dissin' Hammer in the process)

the whole "real hip-hop" angle from the girl got played out after awhile - back in the 90's there were so many labels that were putting out and supporting what some would consider was real hip-hop (Loud Records, Wild Pitch, Penalty, etc.), along with the underground/college radio shows that were playing it, for that theme to be a point of emphasis was unnecessary.

I feel like there is a better story out there for this era.

I did get :banderas: when Kool G Rap's "The Streets of New York" came on

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
looks alright.

its for this that Phonte wrote the rhymes for ? he mentioned it on Juan Epstein.
sidenote; how flippant Ciph was of Little Brother and the music Rosenberg was talking about on that ep was kind of amusing yet surprising.
he's very close-minded when it comes to hip hop and he wears it like a badge of honor because he thinks it makes him cool/different