'The Last of Us' HBO Series (NO GAME SPOILERS!) | Season 2 Coming 2025 With 7 Episodes |

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
He said that in the show but it was made to seem like a lie to "protect" Ellie. I never played the game so that kind of changes my interpretation of Joel's choice if its fact.
It's not, it was yet another lie in Joel's mythomaniac rant, in both the game and the show

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
Took me 25 minutes into the episode before realizing I was watching the finale.already :gucci:

Man.. season 2 gonna be depressing as hell

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Great finale. Now were gonna have to wait forever for season 2 :martin:

Dudes in this thread complaining about Joel not gunning down groups of ppl dolo got their wish this episode :pachaha: During that sequence of scenes I said to myself "Yeah, this is directly from the video game".

Last edited:

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
My thoughts on Joel's actions in the finale:
**I'll preface by saying that I know the basics of what happens in the 2nd game**

*Joel was 100% in the wrong. Yes, Marlene and the Fireflies were wrong too for not giving Ellie a choice but Joel went to the extreme and he reneged on his mission.

* Remember the only reason why he even knows Ellie is that he met her through Marlene. Marlene told him that Ellie is potentially the cure to ending the apocalypse and to take her safely across the country to complete that mission.

*Now, just because Joel has gotten attached to Ellie personally as his "adopted daughter", he decides to be selfish and go scorched earth. Nah, fukk that.

*Also, if Joel thought that he was 100% in the right, he would have told Ellie the truth instead of lying to her. He doesn't tell her the truth because he knows that Ellie wouldn't agree with what he did.

Winston

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I feel like they could have built it up better to "justify" Joel's decision from his POV.

I think watchers should be able to see it from both sides and even think he made the wrong choice, but understand why he did it. Season/Game 2 is what should make people go:patrice: in retrospect and doubt it even more. If too many people think Joel is just a straight-up selfish dikkhead then
S2E1 Tiger Woods might not hit as hard as the game imo

As others have said, they left out too many small details. Highlight that the fireflies were basically just an underprepared terrorist group making shyt up as they went along with previous failed attempts at making a cure. How Ellie was just an experiment and she didn't know she was going to die etc. Even if it was wrong, in the heat of the moment in the game I thought Marlene was ridiculous. Known this girl her whole life and knew her mother but willing to go through with this? Hold these bullets:what:

Last edited:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
My thoughts on Joel's actions in the finale:

**I'll preface by saying that I know the basics of what happens in the 2nd game**

1. *Joel was 100% in the wrong. Yes, Marlene and the Fireflies were wrong too for not giving Ellie a choice but Joel went to the extreme and he reneged on his mission.

2. * Remember the only reason why he even knows Ellie is that he met her through Marlene. Marlene told him that Ellie is potentially the cure to ending the apocalypse and to take her safely across the country to complete that mission.

3. *Now, just because Joel has gotten attached to Ellie personally as his "adopted daughter", he decides to be selfish and go scorched earth. Nah, fukk that.

4. *Also, if Joel thought that he was 100% in the right, he would have told Ellie the truth instead of lying to her. He doesn't tell her the truth because he knows that Ellie wouldn't agree with what he did.
:ufdup: take that shyt outta spoilers, episode don dropped
1 and 2. As far as the deal with Joel and Marlene goes, it was to get Ellie to the statehouse. He did that but the fireflies were dead. So no, Joel did not reneged on the mission. The promise to Tess was based on Tess guilt tripping him into doing it and was just to get her to Bill and Franks. Also, Marlene didnt tell them anything about Ellie being the cure. Remember the scene when they were leaving the QZ and Joel had to kill the officer that checked Ellie? It doesnt matter that Marlene is the reason Joel knows Ellie tbh.

3. Uh yea, because Ellie dying was never pose to happen. Ellie had plans to do the sheep farm stuff with Joel after visiting the fireflies, so she obviously planned on a future. I don't have kids, but if I gotta choose saving the world over one of my nieces of nephews I care about, fukk the world :manny:

4. He's also protecting her. She been through alot and is still just 14. Why weigh her mind with that type of stuff :manny:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I did feel there was a lack of infected. I don't know if it tilted my enjoyment of the show that much though because realistically there is really only a few times you can have them on screen without it eventually fukking up the writing/quality of the show. Every time they showed them it made it seem like they were instant death/a problem to deal with. If you keep showing them than your going to have to keep coming up with ways for the main characters to survive those interactions which could lead to ridiculous levels of plot armor.

Kind of my feeling also. Like I wanted more infected, but as you said. Somebody is dying everytime they showed up. It wasn't a whole lot you could do to escape them.

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
:ufdup: take that shyt outta spoilers, episode don dropped
1 and 2. As far as the deal with Joel and Marlene goes, it was to get Ellie to the statehouse. He did that but the fireflies were dead. So no, Joel did not reneged on the mission. The promise to Tess was based on Tess guilt tripping him into doing it and was just to get her to Bill and Franks. Also, Marlene didnt tell them anything about Ellie being the cure. Remember the scene when they were leaving the QZ and Joel had to kill the officer that checked Ellie? It doesnt matter that Marlene is the reason Joel knows Ellie tbh.

3. Uh yea, because Ellie dying was never pose to happen. Ellie had plans to do the sheep farm stuff with Joel after visiting the fireflies, so she obviously planned on a future. I don't have kids, but if I gotta choose saving the world over one of my nieces of nephews I care about, fukk the world :manny:

4. He's also protecting her. She been through alot and is still just 14. Why weigh her mind with that type of stuff :manny:
I disagree on all points.

*Why do you think Ellie asked him to swear that he was her telling the truth? She knows that he's lying and she doesn't agree with what he did.

*Maria's words in episode 6 to Ellie are prescient: "Be Careful Who You Put Your Faith In. The Only People Who Can Betray Us Are The Ones We Trust."

*Joel betrays Ellie's trust and that leads into the rabbit hole that is the 2nd game.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
I disagree on all points.

*Why do you think Ellie asked him to swear that he was her telling the truth? She knows that he's lying and she doesn't agree with what he did.

*Maria's words in episode 6 to Ellie are prescient: "Be Careful Who You Put Your Faith In. The Only People Who Can Betray Us Are The Ones We Trust."

*Joel betrays Ellie's trust and that leads into the rabbit hole that is the 2nd game.
How can you disagree on all points, when point 1 and 2 are facts? Marlene didnt tell Joel to take ellie cross country and didnt tell Joel about the cure :what:
Point 3, Ellie didnt know she would die, so we can't say for certain if she wouldve chosen to die and leave Joel*
The other points you brought up are to the each user's pov and how they interpret it. Was just wrong for lying and betraying her trust? Sure, but I don't mind it.

*This is based just on the show