'The Last of Us' HBO Series (NO GAME SPOILERS!) | Season 2 Coming 2025 With 7 Episodes |

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
It's not, it was yet another lie in Joel's mythomaniac rant, in both the game and the show
It was a lie. This misunderstanding has been going on for a decade now:mjlol:

I posted it already, but here's an even more in depth explanation:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
It was a lie. This misunderstanding has been going on for a decade now:mjlol:

I posted it already, but here's an even more in depth explanation:

Yep. I don't even think it's a real misunderstanding because the game made it perfectly clear Joel was capping his ass off. But already back then you could see how much folks would grasp as straws to protect daddy Joel's reputation :pachaha:

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Yep. I don't even think it's a real misunderstanding because the game made it perfectly clear Joel was capping his ass off. But already back then you could see how much folks would grasp as straws to protect daddy Joel's reputation :pachaha:
You would let them murder baby girl for a what if cure.
You’s a monsta

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
How can you disagree on all points, when point 1 and 2 are facts? Marlene didnt tell Joel to take ellie cross country and didnt tell Joel about the cure :what:
Point 3, Ellie didnt know she would die, so we can't say for certain if she wouldve chosen to die and leave Joel*
The other points you brought up are to the each user's pov and how they interpret it. Was just wrong for lying and betraying her trust? Sure, but I don't mind it.

*This is based just on the show
Obviously, it's a morally gray situation. However, Joel was the most wrong in the situation.

Anyways, like I said, even taking only the show into the equation, Ellie knows that Joel is lying. She sees that he doubles down on his lie. That "Okay" at the end was her realizing that.

Further, Ellie finally tells Joel that she had to kill Riley. Why do you think she told him that? She had to kill her best friend and love interest because of the apocalypse and she wants the apocalypse to end. Ellie would have probably agreed to do the surgery (that's why Marlene and the Fireflies were wrong to not tell her beforehand)

Marlene was right though when she said that what will happen to Joel when Ellie grows up and becomes an adult? What if Ellie decides to do the surgery with a different doctor? Joel can't wallow in his "love" for Ellie forever. Ellie is her own person.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
4. He's also protecting her. She been through alot and is still just 14. Why weigh her mind with that type of stuff :manny:
Because he robbed her of her ultimate goal in life :gucci: That 14 shyt is meaningless in the world they live in, especially given Ellie's background who went through way too much shyt to be treated as a kid that just entered highschool in a normal world.

This shyt is not about letting her decide whether she can go to a sleepover or not, this is literally her purpose as she explicitly states it repeatedly throughout the series and at the end when she recalls what happened to Riley.

Btw, Joel recognizes her agency, 14 be damned, in episode 6 when he steps up to her in Jackson and says "I thought about it, and you should have a choice...". This is one of the set-ups that I don't remember being in the game, and that I liked in the show.

Please don't mind my argumentative tone, nothing personal, I just missed those part 1's ending passionate discussions :pachaha:

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
Nah I thought it was good.
Maybe a lot of people wanted more action and zombies. Or I guess they’re called Clickers.

But the character development was fantastic. The acting was fantastic. I’m not sure many people appreciate that part of it.

But I’m the kind of person that couldn’t really give a shyt about action in movies. My brain turns off at that stuff. I like things that move the story along.
i didn't want more action, but your never played the game. i feel like they rushed a lot of character interaction outside of the agenda pushing. i kinda felt like they rushed ellie and Joel's connection too

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
You would let them murder baby girl for a what if cure.
You’s a monsta
I would have asked that they wake her up and let her decide. Had they refused, I would have gone the violent route :mjlit:

And when Ellie would have woke up, I would have told her exactly what happened.

Now why didn't Joel do this and decided to lie? :jbhmm:

Because it was a selfish move, and he was scared to death that she wouldn't fukk with him after that, which would have been the same as losing his new reason to live (they reinforced that aspect in that episode with the suicide part)...

The difference between me and you is that I don't need to paint the bad shyt in pretty colors to make it comfortable for me. I stay factual with it. Joel is a selfish liar who robbed Ellie of her life mission so that he wouldn't end up alone again :wow: Which is understandable... But doesn't change the seriousness of his actions

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Just got around to finishing the finale. It was lit. That scene with Joel massacring the remnants of the fireflies was kind of ominous. Some self righteous psychopath mowing down innocent people fighting the good fight. The whole thing was tragic and very well done, and honestly surprisingly believable.

Right before that scene Joel talked about when he was suicidal and absolutely okay with doing so and I think he was in that same headspace when he was on his mission to rescue Ellie. Nothing on Earth could probably stop that man at that point. I was kind of getting Terminator 1 Police department vibes when he was stepping around corners killing folks with the emphasizing his boots constantly.

I literally said "big mistake" out loud when he shot the doc.

Season 2 going to be brazy and I just read that the creators confirmed there's going to be even more after that

:banderas: