'The Last of Us' HBO Series (NO GAME SPOILERS!) | Season 2 Coming 2025 With 7 Episodes |

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
One game detail I'm mad they left out is Marlene on the tape recorders explaining that Ellie wasn't the first one they had that was immune and they had tried to use for a cure and it hadn't worked before.
This would've added muuuuuuch needed context to support Joel's actions.

I just assumed as much as you wouldn't know to do brain surgery unless you tested all other options and failed. Secondly, you wouldn't know how to remove the thing while keeping it alive outside the body unless you'd tried and failed before. Not just once either. Possibly hundreds of times.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
This show was is by far THE BEST video game adaptation for a tv series ever. They treated the source material with so much love and expanded on stories that needed to be told. Even the slight changes helped the story even more..

I am VERY curious about how they handle “Part 2” for season 2. They gonna have to stretch the story out if they want to continue the series…

But honestly…this show is amazing.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
This would've added muuuuuuch needed context to support Joel's actions.

I just assumed as much as you wouldn't know to do brain surgery unless you tested all other options and failed. Secondly, you wouldn't know how to remove the thing while keeping it alive outside the body unless you'd tried and failed before. Not just once either. Possibly hundreds of times.
They dissect regular infected not other immune.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Someone correct my if I'm wrong, but in the game doesn't Joel body everybody? Even the nurses?

:demonic:

That was one difference I noticed. Haven't beat TLOU in like a decade

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Marlene was empathetic to Joel’s plight because they both cared for Ellie but she was willing to do what Joel wouldn’t. She also didn’t want to risk shooting Ellie to kill Joel, who she believed she had dead to rights.
Marlene also had a cop out which was that she never ever actually had to get to know Ellie as anything but her best friend's child.

Put in Joel's shoes, having bonded like they did, she would've done the same thing.

Imo she used Ellie. Ellie didn't actually have a choice. Ellie was ok sacrificing herself on the surgeon's table because she had no family, no friends, and no future to live for.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That giraffe scene alone was probably a season's worth budget for The Walking Dead

1488887428-walking-dead-deer.jpg

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey
Such as? I thought they did a phenomenal job translation what we saw in the game to television. It didn't need to be groundbreaking -- just stay as true to the source material, which in and of itself is incredible, as possible. I probably would have done episodes 3 and 7 differently, but they were still great, and helped explain the protagonist's motivation later on in the season. I'm wondering what was groundbreaking about TWD season 1 that you think makes it soooo much better.
TWD season1 wasn’t groundbreaking. Never said it was. But you cannot deny it gave more life to the zombie genre after just a few seasons. You may not enjoy it personally but there’s a reason why so many people are calling TLOU the new TWD. Because TWD was that big of a show that people are desperately searching for a similar show to scratch that zombie itch (which is funny because TLOU isn’t trying to be TWD). The reason I said groundbreaking is because some folk are acting like TLOU season 1 is groundbreaking. Fukk TWD their comparing it to critically acclaimed and highly praised shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, GOT etc. I don’t remember people calling TWD the goat after just one season. If anything people were just saying it might be the next big show (like Lost or something), and it had major potential.

This is my opinion. TWD season 1 was more entertaining to watch. The story isn’t as deep as TLOU but it’s a funner/more preferred watch for me. Sometimes people want to watch a show to get lost in its world building, it’s universe. Focus on multiple characters/survivors etc. I feel like TLOU show (not the game) was inconsistent with that (Ellie & Joel is too much the focus which I didn’t like about the game either even though I think the game is better than the show).

Sometimes people also just want to watch “a plain ol’ zombie flick”, or fukkery. Which is what TWD basically is. It’s like TLOU season has more story depth. But it lacked entertainment (which I’ll argue it’s not really ment to be fun/entertaining, at least not completely). I know I’m probably not conveying this well lol. It’s really just preference.

Basically TLOU show season 1 aims to make you feel (cry and what not, feel for the Ellie and Joel). TWD season 1 is more like a show that aims to entertain you, make you jump maybe (because it’s like a survivor/horror, and drama), have a good time with the group of survivors killing zombies and what not. Plus Rick was a loved character by the viewer.

There were more characters to care for in TWD season 1 to.

Last edited:

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Someone correct my if I'm wrong, but in the game doesn't Joel body everybody? Even the nurses?

:demonic:

That was one difference I noticed. Haven't beat TLOU in like a decade
He doesn't kill the nurse. Just that surgeon and everyone that try to stop him.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Craig Mazin confirmed The Last of Us HBO Season 2 will be different from The Last of Us Part 2: "It will be different just as this season was different [from the first game]," he continued. "Sometimes it will be different radically, and sometimes it will be [barely] different at all. But it's going to be different and it will be its own thing. It won't be exactly like the game. It will be the show that Neil and I want to make. But we are making it with Bella."

I personally don’t want them to change much, if anything at all.
I feel like they have to in order to explain and give context/backround to all the moving pieces. I mean, the backstory to at least a couple of groups are so rich that they can spend 2 episodes each for them and it would translate to great TV.
specially the Scars. Them crazy fukkers have an awesome origin story and then how everything goes to shyt. Also can't wait for them whistles to give TV audience the :sadbron:
There's gonna be two seasons for Part 2 so they will take more time and wont be against the clock like in season 1. I wonder if Mazin and Druckmann will scrap the way Part 2 was told and make it more straight forward.
Ellie and Abby will probably get parallel stories but I don't think we'll get 3 days following Ellie and then go back and start from Day 1 to see Abby's side. Not sure TV lends itself to grab the viewer like it can grab video game players.

I do think we'll get a ton of flashbacks. They've set up Joel's Museum present to Ellie so well with all this talk about going to the Moon/Space :mjcry:

Last edited: