The idea of Masculinity: is it harmful or helpful to today's black male youth?

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What is "being a man"? Are the standards of "being a man" harmful to black male youth or just black males overall? What are the terms associated with the idea of masculinity? do you feel any pressure if you do not conform to this idea of masculinity? what part does the media play into these things?

I just wanted to bring these issues out into the open and see if we can have an conversation, if you all want to.

Black male youth are f*cked... you either overcompensate because no father is in the home
or become effeminate due to the black matriarchy running unchecked for decades

I don't care... I grew up with my father and my self esteem is self-validated so whatever societal ideals
there are for masculinity are just there to make me conform....

Sh!t my own married parents keep saying I ain't a man until I get a wife and kids...
but I live my life for me not them

Anytime you hear "a real man" ... is just a manipulation tactic

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
To be fair though, you're doing a bit of stereotyping yourself in assuming that all suburbs are the "nicest of neighborhoods".
You do know you mixed two things and made them one right? I stereotyped suburban dudes but a nice neighborhood can be anywhere. I personally have not saw a fukked up suburb. I don't know what you consider that to be either. For me its is a bunch of nice houses/stereotypically above middle class/rich area that are usually 5-10minutes or more from the actual city.

Audemar

Superstar
Daps
Sterilization
At some point, this has to be a serious discussion though. I don't necessarily mean sterilization either.:comeon: Two individuals, who aren't capable of providing for themselves, should not be having kids as it creates a perpetual cycle of poverty. It's in the best interest of everyone seeing as poverty and crime often go hand in hand, among other things.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
At some point, this has to be a serious discussion though. I don't necessarily mean sterilization either.:comeon: Two individuals, who aren't capable of providing for themselves, should not be having kids as it creates a perpetual cycle of poverty. It's in the best interest of everyone seeing as poverty and crime often go hand in hand, among other things.

I agree, and I find it amazing that people here discount the notion that people who can't afford children SHOULDN'T HAVE CHILDREN.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The twisted Idea of masculinity is harmful

To be a man has always meant been tricky depending on who you let tell it.

To some being a man is just surviving and taking care of yourself and anything you care about but HE comes 1st.
To some its to protect help and care for others.
To some its being void of emotion as much as possible
To other its about how big your bank is.
To others it about how man women and kids you can lay.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
The twisted Idea of masculinity is harmful

To be a man has always meant been tricky depending on who you let tell it.

To some being a man is just surviving and taking care of yourself and anything you care about but HE comes 1st.
To some its to protect help and care for others.
To some its being void of emotion as much as possible
To other its about how big your bank is.
To others it about how man women and kids you can lay.

any word without a concrete definition probably isn't a word worth using.

Black Sinatra

Raised Glass to the Squandered Potentials..
Daps
Reppin
DSGB
I agree, and I find it amazing that people here discount the notion that people who can't afford children SHOULDN'T HAVE CHILDREN.

Yes. They shouldn't have children if they cannot properly rear.

VS

No. They shouldn't have the option to reproduce taken away completely.

:patrice:...I don't think you realize how dangerously near this argument comes/is to self sabotage as a people breh.

Sidenote: They were heavily considering putting Margret Sanger on the new bills along with Harriet Tubman.:jbhmm:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The fear of being emasculated is a fear of being feminized. What about femininity makes one fearful?
Its not attractive to women being feminine as a man. Women don't want a feminine man, even lesbian couples usually have one partner that display's masculine traits.

Dude's dont even want to be around other dudes that are feminine,:scust: Thats what makes it fearful thing if you ask me. No one whats to be something that neither women lust after or your average man wants to hang around.

But I love the company of women and femininity itself :blessed:

Family Man

Banned
Daps
is a woman who's able to provide for herself and the well-being of her family a man?

is a woman who's indifferent to other people's perception of her masculine?

:lupe:
Man get yo hoe ass outta here nikka.:camby: The thread is talking about what it means, to you, to be a man. Go make a thread on what it means to be a woman if you want to talk about that.
Some of you nikkas just love reading your own words. fukk nikka.

Ghost_In_A_Shell

Talk No Jutsu
Daps
Man get yo hoe ass outta here nikka.:camby: The thread is talking about what it means, to you, to be a man. Go make a thread on what it means to be a woman if you want to talk about that.
Some of you nikkas just love reading your own words. fukk nikka.

I said no name calling. I will not repeat myself again. if you cannot respond in an peaceful manner then by all means exit my thread

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Some of you nikkas just love reading your own words.

thread title: The idea of Masculinity: is it harmful or helpful to today's black male youth?

you nikkas love having discussion based on what you THINK the topic is about.

:pachaha:

Family Man

Banned
Daps
thread title: The idea of Masculinity: is it harmful or helpful to today's black male youth?

you nikkas love having discussion based on what you THINK the topic is about.

:pachaha:
I don't give a fukk what the thread title says. I'm here to talk my shyt and keep it moving. With that said, kindly fukk off.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
The fear of being emasculated is a fear of being feminized. What about femininity makes one fearful?
I don't think your being genuine here fam. Maybe where you at that's cool for a dude but its been no place where that's the general consensus on how a man should be. Hell to keep it funky its the same for women too. Neither group as a whole wants the other group to be the opposite of what they are. Men aren't really wanting women to be men and vice versa so that's probably why men not trying to be feminized. That shyt gets no okay outside of girl/friends not girlfriends overall