The idea of Masculinity: is it harmful or helpful to today's black male youth?

old_timer

Taxi Squad
Daps
i think the idea of masculinity is harmful for today's boys

in my youth, girls were pushed too hard by repetitive exposure to impossible ideals of femininity
and the side effects were well documented
..boys were spared these same unrealistic expectations as to their masculinity

but today's boys are given the same type of brainwashing treatment that girls from my youth received

simply put, they are not going to be able to meet all of these intense expectations
and not everyone has the resiliency to bounce back from early disappointments

Vodun

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Prime creator
NO BLACK MALE CAN CALL HIMSELF A MAN UNDER WHITE SUPREMACY UNLESS HE IS WILLING TO DIE FOR WHAT HE BELIEVES IN.

sorry for the caps :sas1:

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I've heard the "women have no honor" speech so many times on the internet lol. Gender roles are half normal and half unimportant. People are gonna do what they need/want to do as a man or woman, and their parents are going to teach them how to live life as their respective gender, so they're normal. But they're also not as big of a deal as people make them out to be.
It's interesting that you think that gender roles are halfway unimportant. When looking at the black community do you see that gender roles are being properly taught? Meaning do you see black males(generally speaking) and females being taught how to be productive men and women working together to build strong families/communities?

Boys aren't going to fall into high heels and skirts if their parents don't drill them on gender roles constantly.
Boys could fall into heels and skirts if they're taught/conditioned to think that it's ok for males to wear heels/skirts and that traditional gender roles should be rejected, couldn't they?

Ghost_In_A_Shell

Talk No Jutsu
Daps
Toxic masculinity is bad for everyone. For black men I feel that masculinity is more of an issue if you grow up without a father. The validation and security that comes from a father/son relationship sets a foundation on which you build your life. Dudes who grow up without a father suffer because every movement, thought, action becomes a desperate attempt to prove to the world that they are "real" men. This is especially detrimental because usually fatherless males don't know what a real man is, so they operate on an exaggerated, hypersexualized, hyper masculine idea of what they think a real man is. Fatherless males are often impulsive, emotionally unstable, and unable to express themselves in a nonviolent way. Chris Brown would be the perfect example of what I'm talking about.

I dont think it is nessecsarily do to "fatherlessness"...I know a lot of dudes who had fathers but where still hyper-masculine as all get out. You had some fathers forcing the hyper masculine view on their own children....

he explains my theory more better-

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
page 8 and no concrete definitions of what it means to be a man or what 'masculinity' is, the one poster who made a decent attempt listed out qualities that both men and women should be taught, there's nothing inherently 'masculine' about any of the things the poster below mentioned.

but for arguments sake, if the qualities below are 'masculine', does a lack thereof equate to feminine qualities?

I'm surprised 'wearing Timberland boots' didn't make the cut.

:pachaha:

Being a man isn't about being tough and aggressive

Masculine traits: Honor, steadfastness, discipline, courage, sense of responsibility, Strength, sacrifice, noble, dominant, competitive, confident

Tell me how those things are traits we shouldn't instill in all young men :francis:

My son will have all of these traits taught to him, your sons are free to twerk tho:yeshrug:

Black Sinatra

Raised Glass to the Squandered Potentials..
Daps
Reppin
DSGB
:mjcry:..I browse the coli for 5 minutes and I have already seen suggestions for:

nuking the hood:dame:
Sterilization :sadcam:
and finally questioning the appropriateness for masculinity in the modern black male.:what:

I don't think we need to make this complex, there is no need to reinvent the wheel. We have the archetype of black masculinity in our ancestors or present:

Malcolm-X.png
...for example.
ObamaFamily1.jpg

I ride with Obama as a family man and his composure, fuk the haters.

Daps
It's interesting that you think that gender roles are halfway unimportant. When looking at the black community do you see that gender roles are being properly taught? Meaning do you see black males(generally speaking) and females being taught how to be productive men and women working together to build strong families/communities?

Boys could fall into heels and skirts if they're taught/conditioned to think that it's ok for males to wear heels/skirts and that traditional gender roles should be rejected, couldn't they?
People in the black community are more strict than others when it comes to gender roles, so yeah. We are very strict when it comes to that. What it comes down to is people are going to do what they want. It's a very fluid moment in time when it comes to gender roles, so no matter how strict the oldheads and parents in the community are, they can't stop the influences of the whole society. If you don't think that men and women are building strong enough families and communities, what makes you think that just bringing up the gender roles that they already know about will fix that?

Boys will wear what their parents buy them. If you don't teach him not to wear skirts, he would probably not end up wearing skirts anyway. Because he's a boy. And boys don't like wearing skirts. I feel like people don't have faith in mens natural inclination to be men. Guys aren't going to morph into super gay booty warriors if they don't remind themselves that they are a straight male.

Family Man

Banned
Daps
To me, being a man is being able to provide for yourself and the well-being of your family. Also, it means being indifferent to other people's perception of you, regardless if they are good or bad. Strength of character, humility, sacrifice, self control, resolute, resilience, empathy, unselfishness, slow to anger, generosity..are some of the traits that make a man in my opinion.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
To me, being a man is being able to provide for yourself and the well-being of your family. Also, it means being indifferent to other people's perception of you, regardless if they are good or bad. Strength of character, humility, sacrifice, self control, resolute, resilience, empathy, unselfishness, slow to anger, generosity..are some of the traits that make a man in my opinion.

is a woman who's able to provide for herself and the well-being of her family a man?

is a woman who's indifferent to other people's perception of her masculine?

:lupe:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I started a thread last week about this agenda to emasculate men; yet women and men want men to ACT like men regardless of what they SAY they want.

Being a "man" doesn't meet starting shyt at the drop of a hat, though if that's what OP is trying to get at.

what does it mean to "act like a man"?

in order to make the argument that there's an agenda to emasculate men, you must first define what masculinity and being a man is, that should be the minimum requirement before any additional conversation takes place.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
what does it mean to "act like a man"?

in order to make the argument that there's an agenda to emasculate men, you must first define what masculinity and being a man is, that should be the minimum requirement before any additional conversation takes place.

There are tons of comments in here giving good standards for being a man. Pick one