The Ice Bowl, Part 2: The Official COWBOYS (#3) @ PACKERS (#2) NFC Divisional Playoffs Thread

Who advances to the NFC Championship?

• The visiting Cowboys

Votes: 59 44.4%
  • The hosting Packers

Votes: 74 55.6%

• Total voters

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Calvin & Dez were both screwed. Calvin secured the ball and fell on his ass in the end zone, & Dez had both knees and an elbow on the ground before the ball moved.

Ian1362

david ruffin in the flesh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
catch ball take multiple steps, lunge for goal line. hit ground, ball moves, incomplete pass. like how does that even make sense. its the rule though lol.

It doesn't matter how many steps you take when you are going to the ground in the process of making a catch. Dez didn't catch the ball, run three steps and then lunge and fall down, he was contacted by a defender, fell forward, and tried to push the ball into the endzone. He has to maintain possession through the process. Instead, he did this:

B7GZT7YCYAABYGU.jpg
and then popped the ball in the air.

You cannot make a football move while falling. He had to maintain the process because Shields touched his leg in the air, hence, why he couldn't simply be ruled down by contact when his elbow hit.

When you are falling to the ground, the catch is a process. It doesn't just magically happen the moment Dez touches the ball and then complete the second his two feet touch the ground.

It's a very stupid rule, but it's been on the books for ~5 years already.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
It doesn't matter how many steps you take when you are going to the ground in the process of making a catch. Dez didn't catch the ball, run three steps and then lunge and fall down, he was contacted by a defender, fell forward, and tried to push the ball into the endzone. He has to maintain possession through the process. Instead, he did this:

B7GZT7YCYAABYGU.jpg

You cannot make a football move while falling. He had to maintain the process because Shields touched his leg in the air, hence, why he couldn't simply be ruled down by contact when his elbow hit.

When you are falling to the ground, the catch is a process. It doesn't just magically happen the moment Dez touches the ball and then complete the second his two feet touch the ground.

i know what the fukk the rule is did you not read my post. now get off my dikk. postin a zoomed in pic, give a damn about ya presentation.

dez caught the ball and had complete possession. the refs wanna bullshyt and reverse calls is all, fukkin up the game wit bad calls like they been doin to all the teams this entire post season. he either fumbled or was down, but that was not an incomplete pass.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215

B7GZT7YCYAABYGU.jpg

If Shields leg touched him like you said shouldn't he just be down? Why is that different than a running back being tapped and falling down then the play is over? Its just a stupid rule that years ago when it was first used said was never thought it would aid in coming back to fukk my team. That's how it goes sometimes

Ian1362

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
i know what the fukk the rule is did you not read my post. now get off my dikk. postin a zoomed in pic, give a damn about ya presentation. dez caught the ball and had possession. the refs wanna bullshyt and reverse calls is all. he either fumbled or was down, but that was not an incomplete pass.

Clearly you don't know the rule, because, again, the catch, when falling, is a process.

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

Ian1362

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
If Shields leg touched him like you said shouldn't he just be down? Why is that different than a running back being tapped and falling down then the play is over? Its just a stupid rule that years ago when it was first used said was never thought it would aid in coming back to fukk my team. That's how it goes sometimes

He wouldn't be down b/c Dez didn't have possession. He was, according to the rules, "going to the ground in the act of catching a pass".

His elbow doesn't matter b/c that would be applying normal possession rules to a different act, e.g., the process of the catch:

Steratore was asked whether the fact that Bryant's right elbow hit the ground constituted him being down before the ball was bobbled. He said it didn't matter whether he was down.

"When you’re still going through the process of the catch, elbows or knees are irrelevant," Steratore said. "We’re still making that, ‘He must complete that entire process with the football maintained possession throughout."

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
He wouldn't be down b/c Dez didn't have possession. He was, according to the rules, "going to the ground in the act of catching a pass".

the problem is that the refs get to determine when the act of catching ends and when the going to the ground begins. according to them it started as soon as dez feet hit the ground after the catch.

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
Clearly you don't know the rule, because, again, the catch, when falling, is a process.

Honestly I don't know what everyone's crying about. Dez didn't catch the ball and dive to the end zone, he "caught" it falling down and didn't maintain possession. I'm not even convinced he actually reached for the end zone. :manny:

swyyyguy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Texas
i know what the fukk the rule is did you not read my post. now get off my dikk. postin a zoomed in pic, give a damn about ya presentation.

dez caught the ball and had complete possession. the refs wanna bullshyt and reverse calls is all, fukkin up the game wit bad calls like they been doin to all the teams this entire post season. he either fumbled or was down, but that was not an incomplete pass.
clearly you do not know what the rule is because if you did, you would agree that the refs made the CORRECT call and the pass was INCOMPLETE.

Ian1362

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
the problem is that the refs get to determine when the act of catching ends and when the going to the ground begins. according to them it started as soon as dez feet hit the ground after the catch.

Whut

According to the rules, the act of catching ends when he has possession of the ball on the ground. The two acts don't segue into one another. You don't catch, then go to the ground, you go to the ground in the process of catching. The only reason any of this matters is because Dez was falling.

I don't think its a good rule, but the Calvin rule (and before that, the Bert Emmanuel rule) has been around for a while. The refs didn't screw the Cowboys, the rule did. Would rather they just got rid of it, brought back the force out, etc.