The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Karb

Veteran
Daps
Ethnic identity is formed over many centuries, in some cases millennia. To put things in perspective, the emancipation proclamation was less than 2 centuries ago and what immediately followed was consistent interference and destabilization by outside forces (mainly cacs). Not exactly the most favorable of conditions.

The commercialization and popularization of distinct AA cultural expressions and practices has also been a double edged sword. In many ways, it has empowered AA's and allowed them to set the tone in popular culture. On the other hand, people all over the world now feel that they have a sense of ownership over your culture which is where this sense of entitlement comes from.

My point is, this is a natural process that y'all are going through and given the history, things do seem kinda murky.

It's a unique historical situation.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I'm not going to repeat myself again because you clearly can't read.
No I actually CAN read. Ironically, its you on the other hand thats missing the point. Which is why you are getting frustrated. I don't need you to repeat yourself, because I already know what you mean. I need YOU to understand what I am saying.

Once again, "African-American"=/=connection to Africa. A recent Spanish person from Spain has just as much rights to Spanish/White-Mexican than the ones who descend from the early colonist. I already gave you the Dutch vs Cape Dutch example and the French vs French-Canadian.

Do you think Cape-Dutch people in South Africa have strong connections to the Netherlands? Like AAs they too been disconnected from their ancestral lands. Just like with French-Canadians.

When I literally said I'm talking about new terms for descendants of chattel slavery specifically and you keep on saying 'B-B-But Black immigrants,' it shows you have no common sense or critical thinking skills, you just want to keep repeating your stupid ass theory over and over. Back on the ignore list you go.

Translation=I have no argument. Stick to debating African shea butters...

There doesn't NEED to be any "new terms" because the term "African-American" already has a strict definition and ALREADY MEANS what you are saying... I.e "descendants of chattel slavery in the United States." The thing is the definition has not been strictly enforced.

My point with Black immigrants is that you using a universally racial term like "Black" means that they can also identify as that.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
@Stacker Pentecost

Yhtcqlb.png

:deadmanny:

Man I'm good at making people mad. Like I said stick to debating dumbass African shea butters and moist nikkas. This debate is too much for you.

I have no argument.

Agreed.:clap:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I already said Africans in America currently have more claim to that term. Y'all in here posting shyt from 50 years ago like language/etymology isn't fluid and constantly changing.

How can they have more claim to a term we invented for ourselves decades to century's ago before modern waves of black immigrants in the USA? As i already stated, the problem is easily solved as long as foreign blacks stick to identifying by their own ethnic/national backgrounds.

Like it or not, AA as a term better applies to them than us nowadays. I would rather a new term, DOS/DOAS/COMP is good but I do like native born Black American descended from chattel slavery (BACS?) personally.

nothing wrong with those new terms but you can't exactly drop/erase a term that we've been identifying with for so long to a time when black immigrants were less common

Because that's exactly what the fukk I am, I have ZERO ties to Africa so why do I have to call myself anything African? :jbhmm: Just because I'm Black?

while I can understand your point, the term "afroamerican" already means "native to the usa, born black american"

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
How can they have more claim to a term we invented for ourselves decades to century's ago before modern waves of black immigrants in the USA? As i already stated, the problem is easily solved as long as foreign blacks stick to identifying by their own ethnic/national backgrounds.

Because the nature of language is fluid and changes :manny: this is like asking how can we reclaim the n-word when it was expressly created centuries ago for a specific purpose? Words change, meanings change, usage changes. You can't unring a bell, you can only move forward.

nothing wrong with those new terms but you can't exactly drop/erase a term that we've been identifying with for so long to a time when black immigrants were less common

And I'm not saying anybody should drop it, I'm speaking for MYSELF as in my opinion is that 1. I prefer not to be called AA and 2. I PERSONALLY think we should have our own term specifically for native born American Blacks that are descendants of chattel slavery.

while I can understand your point, the term "afroamerican" already means "native to the usa, born black american"

Maybe at one point, but not anymore :manny: And the language involving this is constantly changing, we were ******s, then colored, then negros, Afro American, African American... with the proliferation of Black immigrants post Civil rights era, I think new terminology is needed for us specifically. No more, no less.

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
chill out yall:what:

African American and Black American both have flaws as unique identifiers.

I'm chilling, everybody on this board knows that I clearly and articulately express myself without issues :manny:

The coli is really lowering its standards on who they allow to become staff tho :scust:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
No one is quoting you. You're not that important.

And if they attain America citizenship?
If they are from Ghana youd rather they were Ghanaian American?

Why wouldn't they be Ghanaian American? Since Ghana is the country they are from... With AAs and the start of the height of the slave trade there was no "Ghana." More importantly like I said the "African" part in "African-American" is just a placement word for all the diverse group of Africans sent to the united states.