The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
I'm native born, Black and American, dassit :manny: They can have that AA label as africans in America :yeshrug:
terrellowens.gif

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Reply with what, you didn't say anything except you don't agree :francis:
I said I would reply when you reply.

Anyways, like I said before there is no monolithic black people or black culture. But there is a monolithic African-American culture and people. More importantly AAs don't see the errors when using "Black American" over "African-American." By using "Black Americans" thats how non-AA blacks become "masked into" AA culture/heritage especially those from the Caribbean. Again black...

Getting to the nitty gritty...African-American="People defined as being the decedents of African slaves brought and settled via the transatlantic slave trade who bore descendants that were born free or were born slaves then freed legally or through maroonage in what is today the Contiguous United States of America."

I said this many times but you wouldn't call continental Africans moving to America this as the hyphen separating the "African" & "American" part of African-American is not two words that represent an "ancestry-nationality" denotation. It's one word, a compound proper noun, like French-Canadian. You wouldn't call a French from France moving to Toronto a French-Canadian, as the true French-Canadian's ancestry goes back to the 17th and 18th century settlers from France to New France(canada).

Same with people who call themselves "Cape-Dutch" in Capetown South Africa. Most of them have never been anywhere near the Netherlands, yet still identify as "Dutch". Whereas a person from the Netherlands today can't just move to Capetown and call themselves Cape Dutch, as they represent a specific Boar/Afrikanner heritage that's been there for centuries.

If you wanna use "Black American" over "African-American" then fine. But don't be surprised when black immigrants become masked into AA culture/heritage.

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
I said I would reply when you reply.

Anyways, like I said before there is no monolithic black people or black culture. But there is a monolithic African-American culture and people. More importantly AAs don't see the errors when using "Black American" over "African-American." By using "Black Americans" thats how non-AA blacks become "masked into" AA culture/heritage especially those from the Caribbean. Again black...

Getting to the nitty gritty...African-American="People defined as being the decedents of African slaves brought and settled via the transatlantic slave trade who bore descendants that were born free or were born slaves then freed legally or through maroonage in what is today the Contiguous United States of America."

I said this many times but you wouldn't call continental Africans moving to America this as the hyphen separating the "African" & "American" part of African-American is not two words that represent an "ancestry-nationality" denotation. It's one word, a compound proper noun, like French-Canadian. You wouldn't call a French from France moving to Toronto a French-Canadian, as the true French-Canadian's ancestry goes back to the 17th and 18th century settlers from France to New France(canada).

Same with people who call themselves "Cape-Dutch" in Capetown South Africa. Most of them have never been anywhere near the Netherlands, yet still identify as "Dutch". Whereas a person from the Netherlands today can't just move to Capetown and call themselves Cape Dutch, as they represent a specific Boar/Afrikanner heritage that's been there for centuries.

If you wanna use "Black American" over "African-American" then fine. But don't be surprised when black immigrants become masked into AA culture/heritage.

I said NATIVE BORN BLACK AMERICAN AS IN DESCENDANT OF AMERICAN CHATTEL SLAVERY followed by 'we need a specific term.'

Honestly it's gotten to the point where I don't care for being called African American... I prefer native born Black American :manny: as in descendant of American chattel slavery. We need a specific term.

AA isn't that term and even your statement of 'don't be surprised when Black immigrants get included blah blah' when I specifically already said native born Black Americans descended from chattel slavery proves you came here with this dissertation all copy + pasted and ready to go without reading what I actually fukking said. :comeon:

And I am going to call myself whatever the fukk I want and *EYE* don't like being called African-American, I don't give a fukk what Yvette Carnell's Blackademic bougie ass has to say about it or anybody else, for that matter. I made my reasoning very fukking clear.

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
IMO, "black" american is even more umbrella as ethnic group label. AfroAmerican is more precise for that cause, while "black" is more of a racial term

I already said Africans in America currently have more claim to that term. Y'all in here posting shyt from 50 years ago like language/etymology isn't fluid and constantly changing. Like it or not, AA as a term better applies to them than us nowadays. I would rather a new term, DOS/DOAS/COMP is good but I do like native born Black American descended from chattel slavery (BACS?) personally. Because that's exactly what the fukk I am, I have ZERO ties to Africa so why do I have to call myself anything African? :jbhmm: Just because I'm Black?

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
I already said Africans in America currently have more claim to that term. Y'all in here posting shyt from 50 years ago like language/etymology isn't fluid and constantly changing. Like it or not, AA as a term better applies to them than us nowadays. I would rather a new term, DOS/DOAS/COMP is good but I do like native born Black American descended from chattel slavery (BACS?) personally. Because that's exactly what the fukk I am, I have ZERO ties to Africa so why do I have to call myself anything African? :jbhmm: Just because I'm Black?

Prime example, on another episode of the grapevine we were talking about the shytty practices of Shea Moisture. This CA chick was like, 'Well I'm going to keep supporting because the owner is african and I'm African.' I was like, 'Well I'm not African so I don't care or feel the need to do that.' The panel was :picard::gucci: "But you're Black!"

WE DONT HAVE TO IDENTIFY AS AFRICANS IF WE DONT WANT TO

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I already said Africans in America currently have more claim to that term.
NO they DON'T. Did you read what I wrote? Thats not how it works. Only dumbass white supremacist and dumbass African immigrants believe that is true. Why do you think African immigrants go by their nationality i.e "Nigerian-American" than "African-American"?

Y'all in here posting shyt from 50 years ago like language/etymology isn't fluid and constantly changing. Like it or not, AA as a term better applies to them than us nowadays. I would rather a new term, DOS/DOAS/COMP is good but I do like native born Black American descended from chattel slavery (BACS?) personally.
Again no it doesn't... "Black" applies more to them. As "Black" is a universal racial term that anyone of African descent came fairly use. The same can not be said for African-American. UNLESS you believe there is a creolization of African cultures IN Africa and all Africans in Africa mixed with one another on a large scale. This happened with AAs in America.

The "African" in "African-American" means the mixture of different African cultures and even genetics from this large region.
125ee57f85b184db471415c0a230c7ee.jpg

Which is why we can NOT say we are i.e "Yoruba-American", "Mandingo-American", "Kongo-American", "Fulani-American", "Akan-American", "Igbo-American", etc,etc. The "African" part is a combination if ALL these African influences and more. It is used for THAT.

Because that's exactly what the fukk I am, I have ZERO ties to Africa so why do I have to call myself anything African? :jbhmm: Just because I'm Black?

Its NOT about having any ties to Africa[meanwhile AAs have strong Upper West African Islamic influence but thats notha story]. Like I said "African-American" is ONE word. While it is true that the ethnogeneis was created in America the ROOTS or the "minerals" transported to America to created that ethnicity is in Africa whether genetically or culturally.

Like I said if you wanna use "Black" then fine, but don't get mad/angry when Black immigrants mask themselves into AA culture/history and then flip flop.

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
NO they DON'T. Did you read what I wrote? Thats not how it works. Only dumbass white supremacist and dumbass African immigrants believe that is true. Why do you think African immigrants go by their nationality i.e "Nigerian-American" than "African-American"?

Again no it doesn't... "Black" applies more to them. As "Black" is a universal racial term that anyone of African descent came fairly use. The same can not be said for African-American. UNLESS you believe there is a creolization of African cultures IN Africa and all Africans in Africa mixed with one another on a large scale. This happened with AAs in America.

The "African" in "African-American" means the mixture of different African cultures and even genetics from this large region.
125ee57f85b184db471415c0a230c7ee.jpg

Which is why we can NOT say we are i.e "Yoruba-American", "Mandingo-American", "Kongo-American", "Fulani-American", "Akan-American", "Igbo-American", etc,etc. The "African" part is a combination if ALL these African influences and more. It is used for THAT.

Its NOT about having any ties to Africa[meanwhile AAs have strong Upper West African Islamic influence but thats notha story]. Like I said "African-American" is ONE word. While it is true that the ethnogeneis was created in America the ROOTS or the "minerals" transported to America to created that ethnicity is in Africa whether genetically or culturally.

Like I said if you wanna use "Black" then fine, but don't get mad/angry when Black immigrants mask themselves into AA culture/history and then flip flop.

I'm not going to repeat myself again because you clearly can't read. When I literally said I'm talking about new terms for descendants of chattel slavery specifically and you keep on saying 'B-B-But Black immigrants,' it shows you have no common sense or critical thinking skills, you just want to keep repeating your stupid ass theory over and over. On the ignore list you go.

EDIT: you can actually go ahead and hold this neg since I can't ignore you because you're a staff member.

Last edited:

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
This is why I hate Blackademics, y'all want to talk somebody's ear off about semantics and terms but have zero understanding of the way these ideas and concepts play out in the real world. Epitome of book smart with no common sense to argue that Africans in America *cant* identify as such - ie AA - when they literally can and do. Better to come up with our own term but it's in one ear and out the other with you goofies.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
I'm not going to repeat myself again because you clearly can't read. When I literally said I'm talking about new terms for descendants of chattel slavery specifically and you keep on saying 'B-B-But Black immigrants,' it shows you have no common sense or critical thinking skills, you just want to keep repeating your stupid ass theory over and over. Back on the ignore list you go.

EDIT: you can actually go ahead and hold this neg since I can't ignore you because you're a staff member.
Don't mind that clown. He thinks he's an authority on everything :mjlol: