The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
@IllmaticDelta

I already seen you post that source. And the lady in the articles says "But I am not African, and Africans are not African-American," By that alone no one should take her seriously. "African" part in AA is NOT about being directly from Africa and thats not how the term AA works.

Again these outsiders can claim AA all they want but once we[the authority on the term] become more STRICT with the term then whatever they say doesn't matter. Again you are giving them too much power. AAs are the ones with the authority, THEY are the ones who decide what it means. You say we already KNOW what AA meant. That maybe true but we were hardly enforcing it to a strict degree. Also the Jamaican women uses "black" which I said AAs should limit when it comes to ethnic use.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
We have too much of our history tied into the name to go back now.
I think the best course of Action would be to differentiate lineage. E.i. Via Census.
We have to move fast simply saying your people are from the south isn't going to fly anymore because a lot of Africans and Caribbeans are moving to the south now.

I agree and that wasn't my stance. My stance is more along with your second point but not restricted to the census, since the census already takes foreign black identity into account under "black or african american"

The following definitions apply to the 2000 census only.[17]

it's more like like foreign blacks should stick to their root nationality for identity in their everyday practices instead of often having TWO identities between "african american" + (insert country)

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Farrakhan is Carribbean, ironically.

Farrakhan was born Louis Eugene Wolcott (also mistakenly spelled Walcott)[8] in The Bronx, New York, the younger of two sons of Sarah Mae Manning (January 16, 1900 – November 18, 1988) and Percival Clark, immigrants from the Caribbean islands. His mother was born in Saint Kitts and Nevis. His father was a Jamaican native.

I don't think any serious black person is going to disavow the person that called and led the Million Man March because of his Carribbean heritage.
I'm aware he is, which is my point.

Most AA's aren't even aware of the slick stuff he's said about us. And too many of those that were let it slide because of lack of ethnic pride and being ashamed of who we are. That's a major issue IMO. I touched on this when I brought up "Hoteps" and their relationship to AA identity and culture as well as their influence.

There are alot of factors that make this an uphill battle, but I don't believe that they cannot be undone...it just won't be easy.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
I agree and that wasn't my stance. My stance is more along with your second point but not restricted to the census, since the census already takes foreign black identity into account under "black or african american"

The following definitions apply to the 2000 census only.[17]

it's more like like foreign blacks should stick to their root nationality for identity in their everyday practices instead of often having TWO identities between "african american" + (insert country)

The census doesn't make distinctions to nationality, unfortunately.

Black OR African-American. The census already recognizes that there's a difference between the black RACE, and the African-American ETHNICITY.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The census doesn't make distinctions to nationality, unfortunately.

or provide written entries such as Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian

Black OR African-American. The census already recognizes that there's a difference between the black RACE, and the African-American ETHNICITY.

african american is a specific group while "black" is ANYONE with sub-saharan/black african roots

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
I'm aware he is, which is my point.

Most AA's aren't even aware of the slick stuff he's said about us. And too many of those that were let it slide because of lack of ethnic pride and being ashamed of who we are. That's a major issue IMO. I touched on this when I brought up "Hoteps" and their relationship to AA identity and culture as well as their influence.

There are alot of factors that make this an uphill battle, but I don't believe that they cannot be undone...it just won't be easy.

What makes this confusing
Especially coming from 2nd and third gen non afram blacks. Is the fact that they move and maneuver like Aframs. In speech, in the way they act just their entire ebb and flow
Distinctions arent made until its something negative with aframs and its time to not be like "those blacks"
Or its that time to be "Exotic"

Aframs through our modern "black" redefinition has everyone being us and not us at the same time

Lets take Farrakhan for instance. A dude who moves and even talks like a Pastor born and raised somewhere in Georgia is really of caribbean descent
Its hard to really combat it when non aframs subscribe to the modern concept of blackness that we've created

Look at all the non afram coli posters through out this board. Even the non afram people on the grapevine including that nigerian host

All of them subscribe to the Afram Amended version of Modern Blackness

She will talk caribbean this, and african that yet the bulk of her topics are mainly Afram cultural/pop culture related:dead:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Especially coming from 2nd and third gen non afram blacks. Is the fact that they move and maneuver like Aframs. In speech, in the way they act just their entire ebb and flow
Distinctions arent made until its something negative with aframs and its time to not be like "those blacks"

Aframs through our modern "black" redefinition has everyone being us and not us at the same time

Lets take Farrakhan for instance. A dude who moves and even talks like a Pastor born and raised somewhere in Georgia is really of caribbean descent
Its hard to really combat it when non aframs subscribe to the modern concept of blackness that we've created

Look at all the non afram coli posters through out this board. Even the non afram people on the grapevine including that nigerian host

She will talk caribbean this, and african that yet the bulk of her topics are mainly Afram cultural/pop culture related:dead:

all facts:pachaha:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

Facts.

A lot of hosts on the station clearly sound Americanized to some degree and they want to make distinction between themselves and actual AAs to be much larger than it really is.

That's why we need more people that are actually born and raised abroad to give a better discussion.