The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Once again WHO CARES what they identify as because once it becomes more and more mainstream what AA means than it wont matter.

african american as a identification term can't get anymore mainstream or simplified but outsiders continue to identify with it and muddle it's actual definition

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
na...aframs do know what makes an "ethnic afram" but the problem is that alot of foreign blacks also identify under a dual identify of "african-american" plus their own ethnic background.

57496517-colinpowell_650.jpg

Be Heard: An MTV Global Discussion With Colin Powell

Since aframs are a race first people before nationality, we don't really check foreign blacks on it and unless we're triggered to do so.

Cacs don't make distnctions on blackness and often force "African-American" onto non-AAs.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Once again who cares. We just need to reaffirm what it means like what Yvette is doing.

we've been doing this for decades and outsiders while knowing the meaning, still adopt the term which is why this poster said

Got a lot of people hiding under the "AA" ethnic identity. That's why I don't see the "AA" ethnic group identifier lasting too long. Too many people hiding under it.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
we've been doing this for decades and outsiders while knowing the meaning, still adopt the term which is why this poster said

You're defeatist attitude is getting on my nerves. Fact is as long as WE know what AA means then thats all that matters... Those people "hiding under it" will be exposed when we reaffirm what it means.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
I agree. I've noticed this also, the primary people having these discussions on mainstream media, writing the thinkpieces, etc are NOT native born Black Americans or if they are, they're fukking losers and rejects that finally got a little power on the internet. Many are the children of immigrants or are straight up transplants that give all this social commentary on our culture (like DJ Akademiks), or upper middle class/upper class bougie Blacks (someone on twitter called them 'Blavity blacks' :mjlol: I hate that fukking site) that want to pretend to be hood now or something. Very few actual native born Black Americans are tapped to give our own commentary on the shyt HAPPENING TO US IN OUR OWN COUNTRY WITH OUR OWN CULTURE. Unless we're on some Jessica Williams :mjpls: 'I'm a special snowflake negro' shyt or something :comeon:

No disrespect but if you find it a problem for non-AAs to be opportunistc of Black American culture, why do you continously go on the Grapevine? Ashley is Nigerian and thus all her topics and perspectives that she brings forth as the creator and moderator is viewed from the Nigerian-American lens. I don't think you find it as problematic as you say it is.

Actually I think the supposed encroachment of non-AAs as the arbiters of AA culture is overstated. There's only 2 million non-AA blacks in this country. There's foury-four million AAs. It's not that serious.

The divisiveness tends to occur on the slick. Claiming our shyt while simultaneously talking shyt about us.

Like that Karl nikka on the video.

Like that corny ass VibeHi nikka on twitter.

Like some shyt Min. Farrakhan has said in the past.

Farrakhan is Carribbean, ironically.

Farrakhan was born Louis Eugene Wolcott (also mistakenly spelled Walcott)[8] in The Bronx, New York, the younger of two sons of Sarah Mae Manning (January 16, 1900 – November 18, 1988) and Percival Clark, immigrants from the Caribbean islands. His mother was born in Saint Kitts and Nevis. His father was a Jamaican native.

I don't think any serious black person is going to disavow the person that called and led the Million Man March because of his Carribbean heritage.

Last edited:

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
You're defeatist attitude is getting on my nerves. Fact is as long as WE know what AA means then thats all that matters... Those people "hiding under it" will be exposed when we reaffirm what it means.

we've been doing this for decades and outsiders while knowing the meaning, still adopt the term which is why this poster said.

We have too much of our history tied into the name to go back now.
I think the best course of Action would be to differentiate lineage. E.i. Via Census.
We have to move fast simply saying your people are from the south isn't going to fly anymore because a lot of Africans and Caribbeans are moving to the south now.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
We have too much of our history tied into the name to go back now.
I think the best course of Action would be to differentiate lineage. E.i. Via Census.
We have to move fast simply saying your people are from the south isn't going to fly anymore because a lot of Africans and Caribbeans are moving to the south now.

Ancestry in the South pre Jim Crow.

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
No disrespect but if you find it a problem for non-AAs to be opportunistc of Black American culture, why do you continously go on the Grapevine? Ashley is Nigerian and thus all her topics and perspectives that she brings forth as the creator and moderator is viewed from the Nigerian-American lens. I don't think you find it as problematic as you say it is.

Actually I think the supposed encroachment of non-AAs as the arbiters of AA culture is overstated. There's only 2 million non-AA blacks in this country. There's foury-four million AAs. It's not that serious.

Farrakhan is Carribbean, ironically.

Farrakhan was born Louis Eugene Wolcott (also mistakenly spelled Walcott)[8] in The Bronx, New York, the younger of two sons of Sarah Mae Manning (January 16, 1900 – November 18, 1988) and Percival Clark, immigrants from the Caribbean islands. His mother was born in Saint Kitts and Nevis. His father was a Jamaican native.
When it comes to Caribbeans that were here pre civil rights era it gets tricky many of them have been here, have put in work, and add to the culture.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You're defeatist attitude is getting on my nerves.

no defeatist attitude on my part. I've, more than anyone on this board posted the most clear cut definition of what an afram is, numerous times

At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

An ethnic AfroAmerican defined

Origins of African-American Ethnicity or African-American Ethnic Traits

The newly formed Black Yankee ethnicity of the early 1800s differed from today’s African-American ethnicity. Modern African-American ethnic traits come from a post-bellum blending of three cultural streams: the Black Yankee ethnicity of 1830, the slave traditions of the antebellum South, and the free Creole or Mulatto elite traditions of the lower South. Each of the three sources provided elements of the religious, linguistic, and folkloric traditions found in today’s African-American ethnicity.30

Essays on the U.S. Color Line » Blog Archive » The Color Line Created African-American Ethnicity in the North

If you don't fit that criteria, you aren't an ethnic AfroAmerican.

Fact is as long as WE know what AA means then thats all that matters...

true which why I said aframs already know what an ethnic afromerican is and have had it defined for decades

Got a lot of people hiding under the "AA" ethnic identity. That's why I don't see the "AA" ethnic group identifier lasting too long. Too many people hiding under it.

No, the only REASON why they are ABLE to hide under it is because AAs have not defined ourselves. We are STILL trying to figure out what makes an AA and slowly we are getting there. So yes the AA ethnic identity WILL last because it will finally be defined. People like Yvette thankfully are making it more mainstream.

see, my point is that we ARE NOT trying to figure it out, we already know but if more outsiders took this stance, there would be no confusion

Cv7uGUXWEAADNzo.jpg

Some Blacks Insist: 'I'm Not African-American'

Joan Morgan, a writer born in Jamaica who moved to New York City as a girl, remembers the first time she publicly corrected someone about the term: at a book signing, when she was introduced as African-American and her family members in the front rows were appalled and hurt.

"That act of calling me African-American completely erased their history and the sacrifice and contributions it took to make me an author," said Morgan, a longtime U.S. citizen who calls herself Black-Caribbean American. (Some insist Black should be capitalized.)

She said people struggle with the fact that black people have multiple ethnicities because it challenges America's original black-white classifications. In her view, forcing everyone into a name meant for descendants of American slaves distorts the nature of the contributions of immigrants like her black countrymen Marcus Garvey and Claude McKay.

Morgan acknowledges that her homeland of Jamaica is populated by the descendants of African slaves. "But I am not African, and Africans are not African-American," she said.

'African American'? 'Black'? How To Identify Is Often A Touchy Question

Those people "hiding under it" will be exposed when we reaffirm what it means.

see my last point

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

there's more than that