The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Jemmy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I assume thats because of influence from Northerners who had no ties to the south in the early stages of great migration. Just a guess tho.

By the way I can hear it a lil in some New Yorkers (Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Ving Rhames to name a few).

50 Cent another one too. Some kids comin up got more of a accent too. Could be the music they're listening to influencing them also. Certain words or sayings that came from the South you'll hear in the Northeast every now and then.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I assume thats because of influence from Northerners who had no ties to the south in the early stages of great migration. Just a guess tho.

By the way I can hear it a lil in some New Yorkers (Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Ving Rhames to name a few).

north eastern aframs are usually from the upper south where the accents aren't as heavy on the drawl as aframs from the deep south/gulf coast who migrated to places likes california

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
In new york Aframs forged a new "urban" aa cultural distinction that has a conflict of interest with certain southern(afram) cultural nuances
Its done to a fault
I think the shift of the AA identity from rural to urban complicated things even further.

Urban Blackness has kind of had a monopoly on the culture for at least the last 50 years.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

you'll hear it in alot of older afram new yorkers aswell

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
50 Cent another one too. Some kids comin up got more of a accent too. Could be the music they're listening to influencing them also. Certain words or sayings that came from the South you'll hear in the Northeast every now and then.
Yup forgot about 50. I thought it was dope as hell when he went to spend time with his fam in South Carolina when he had that reality show.

Yeah music is bound to influence. Plus I think in some pockets(typically middle class enclaves) this reverse migration thats been going on may shift accents around a lil too.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
na...aframs do know what makes an "ethnic afram" but the problem is that alot of foreign blacks also identify under a dual identify of "african-american" plus their own ethnic background.

57496517-colinpowell_650.jpg

Be Heard: An MTV Global Discussion With Colin Powell

Since aframs are a race first people before nationality, we don't really check foreign blacks on it and unless we're triggered to do so.

Which is why me and @K.O.N.Y BEEN saying that AAs need to identify as an ethnicity FIRST.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
north eastern aframs are usually from the upper south where the accents aren't as heavy on the drawl as aframs from the deep south/gulf coast who migrated to places likes california
Hmmm I can see that. I've always wondered how that ended up happening. Especially considering most folks in the deep south have some kind of further back ancestry in the upper south. (I have a hunch but not positive)
:patrice:

shyt we keep talking about Cali when Midwest nikka's take the crown on this.
:russ:

DarrynCobretti

Fresh out the bed, count up the dead
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
All this drip on me
@Stacker Pentecost one of the underrated coli GOATs.
Be willfully obtuse brehs

He tried to say it's just a Nigerian thing. I said no, it's an offset of colonization which affects your entire continent, North, South, East, and West. That you are all part of a global collective that places Black Americans at the bottom. You need me to spell anything else out for your simple ass?
:salute:
I didn't think deeply about ethnicity before I joined this forum:ld:

Every thread had an African or island nikka saying a slick comments unchecked which made me :mindblown::pacspit:that folks weren't getting in their ass...2012 posters

Then I found out about nairaland and somalinet and realized this was a bigger cultural issue and we needed to mobilize :obama:
Real shyt. I thought I was the only person to experience that. Lurking those sites and interacting with them, was definitely an eye opener.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

to add on
Even caribbean based cats like Kool herc has a slight southern twang to his accent in old age:mjlol:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Hmmm I can see that. I've always wondered how that ended up happening. Especially considering most folks in the deep south have some kind of further back ancestry in the upper south. (I have a hunch but not positive)
:patrice:

shyt we keep talking about Cali when Midwest nikka's take the crown on this.
:russ:

many aframs from the upper south have more like twangs than drawls

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The divisiveness tends to occur on the slick. Claiming our shyt while simultaneously talking shyt about us.

Like that Karl nikka on the video.

Like that corny ass VibeHi nikka on twitter.

Like some shyt Min. Farrakhan has said in the past.

I could go on...

I'd rather a nikka just not fukk with us at all instead of pulling some shyt like that.

facts

Jemmy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The divisiveness tends to occur on the slick. Claiming our shyt while simultaneously talking shyt about us.

Like that Karl nikka on the video.

Like that corny ass VibeHi nikka on twitter.

Like some shyt Min. Farrakhan has said in the past.

I could go on...

I'd rather a nikka just not fukk with us at all instead of pulling some shyt like that.

And maybe I should of been more clear, but I believe alot of different Hotep ideologies tend to attract rejects(btw dont take that term the wrong way)...alot of foreign Black's fall into that category so they're definitely in the mix.
:yeshrug:

The reason I stress rejects is the fact that in my opinion alot of "Hotepness" is an escape from our rural southern roots. It's not a coincidence most of these movements corresponded with the beginning of the great migration. It's not a coincidence that these movements took off in the North.

It's the reason why these nikka's go so hard on the church while using the same tactics to fleece they're own followers.
:sas2:

Why these nikka's go so hard on Soul Food which is why I brought up my personal experience.

Why these nikka's talk that, "we have no culture" shyt, because they were ashamed of the one our ancestors developed...ashamed they were slaves...just ashamed period. I could give examples for hours.

I've peeped this shyt since I was 7...8 years old, but it didn't really hit me till I was in my early 20's.

Curtis Sc00n was on Twitter wondering why someone like Farrakhan gets a pass when he says some stuff regarding AAs when he's not AA. He thought Farrakhan was puttin up a front. I think a lot of people don't really know he's not of AA origin but he's no doubt assimilated. I think all his kids and grandkids are AA. The people that took him in were AA.

Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I think the shift of the AA identity from rural to urban complicated things even further.

Urban Blackness has kind of had a monopoly on the culture for at least the last 50 years.

Issa trick!

The current urban black culture is largely the old traditional rural/southern black culture

I don't fukk with Sowell too much outside of this book but there's some good information here

Last edited: