The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
By expressing a opinions i have a bad track record. If people cannot take differences of opinion then i cannot help that. Then again, i have a track record of dissenting opinions especially among my community. One thing i have to give them credit, they did not resort to name calling especially from my experiences from my own community, example being called a "bytch", daughters of whores, Westernize bytch, being curse by a suppose "God" among other things names. At the same time, the same mentality exist here like sudannet or facebook, or former Paltalk which is "group think". If you have a dissenting opinions you are "damn" and penalized for expressing a opinion. People must learn how to take criticism or people differences, because not everyone is going to see the world the same, because everyone experiences is not the same. That is all i am sayin, and i do not believe i said anything wrong. Anyway, i am done with this topic

Cheers.

No one said no one can't express their opinions. But no offense but do you even consider yourself "black" for this topic to even bother you? Thats why I constantly see you trip and fall in these discussions.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
The media is America's soft power home/abroad and don't underestimate its power especially for people who have not been here. I once talked to a guy in Ghana who thought America was a majority Black country because he liked/followed the NBA. The media is powerful especially for people who have not been to the US and once they come here it shapes them especially for the older immigrants who migrated here prior to the internet age.

I am not trying to rub this in anybody's face but people who do not travel especially to the developing world just do not know the power of American soft power media.

However the onus is on the person who now has access to greater info and has an experience to engage in a multi-cultural society to learn more.
So it's not so much mass media misrepresentation but the limitations of the media or internet in these countries? So then the preconceived notions come from internal influences not outside right?

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
So it's not so much mass media misrepresentation but the limitations of the media or internet in these countries? So then the preconceived notions come from internal influences not outside right?

NO. internal influences have nothing to do with it most likely than not if you go to any major African city or to the most rural of villages, the overwhelming majority of individuals do not know anybody within their immediate circle who has been or lives in industrialized Western countries. So most of their images comes from media. People also who have never been in the developing world do not know how hard it is to travel abroad. It's easier for an American to travel to Africa than it is an African to travel to America.

If you go to the American embassy in X Sub-Saharan African country, they will ask in your visa interview for 3 months worth of bank statements (if you are wealthy or have a decent amount of money in the bank, they assume you won't come to America permanently because you are already well off in your country and have something to go home to), if you have family in the US (they are likely to deny your visa application because they assume again that with family reunification you will stay in America permanently), if you don't have family they still assume you are going to permanently stay, a health test to make sure you don't have any communicable diseases and other things. My point being it's hard for Africans to travel and get to the States hence a regular African is far more likely not to have someone in his/her inner circle to have traveled abroad therefore minimizing "internal" influence regarding the perceptions of Black Americans or Americans in general.

As an American, you need a flight ticket, hotel reservation and at least 6 months left until your passport expiration date to go to an African country that requires a visa.

That's why media and the misrepresentations that come along with it influence people more so than internal influences since overwhelming majority of Africans in the continent do not know anybody who has been to America in their inner circle in order to influence them about the perceptions of Americans.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
The one hotep Breh on the panel happened to be African at that. He was the one telling AA's that they should buy land in Africa, and become the Rockefellers in Africa. Then those African girls were like:

":comeon:be careful with that rah-rah colonialism talk. Even as AA's, that American badge gives them privilege over starving Africans. They shouldnt come over as imperialist"

Interesting.

Either way, maybe AA's really should be as exclusionary as we Haitians, West Indians and Continental Africans are towards them. Put the shoe on the other foot, and start checking Black foreigners on appropriation.

But then again, some may say AA's already practiced this exclusionary stance when they mocked and bullied West Indian and African kids in elementary and highschool. Same for AA adults. I was on a date with this one AA girl, who's uncle told her to never date Haitian men.

:skip:

But anyways, it seems like on the joint panel you had a few AA's and a few Africans who were like

"Yeah, white supremacy is an issue, but these AA's/these continental Africans treated me like XYZ"

while there were a few Africans and AA's who were like

"Yeah the other side may have treated me like XYZ, but they been through Alot, and white supremacy taught them to think that way"

Good discussion all around.

Given how territorial we black foreigners are over our culture, I can't blame AA's for embracing rather extreme forms of ethno-nationalism As a Haitian, I can't even complain about it.

:dame:

@Stacker Pentecost you went HARD in that discussion.

:salute:

Last edited:

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps
NO. internal influences have nothing to do with it most likely than not if you go to any major African city or to the most rural of villages, the overwhelming majority of individuals do not know anybody within their immediate circle who has been or lives in industrialized Western countries. So most of their images comes from media. People also who have never been in the developing world do not know how hard it is to travel abroad. It's easier for an American to travel to Africa than it is an African to travel to America.

If you go to the American embassy in X Sub-Saharan African country, they will ask in your visa interview for 3 months worth of bank statements (if you are wealthy or have a decent amount of money in the bank, they assume you won't come to America permanently because you are already well off in your country and have something to go home to), if you have family in the US (they are likely to deny your visa application because they assume again that with family reunification you will stay in America permanently), if you don't have family they still assume you are going to permanently stay, a health test to make sure you don't have any communicable diseases and other things. My point being it's hard for Africans to travel and get to the States hence a regular African is far more likely not to have someone in his/her inner circle to have traveled abroad therefore minimizing "internal" influence regarding the perceptions of Black Americans or Americans in general.

As an American, you need a flight ticket, hotel reservation and at least 6 months left until your passport expiration date to go to an African country that requires a visa.

That's why media and the misrepresentations that come along with it influence people more so than internal influences since overwhelming majority of Africans in the continent do not know anybody who has been to America in their inner circle in order to influence them about the perceptions of Americans.
Here's the thing, there is good and bad in every country and culture. There are good and bad people in every race. The media is a tool used by everyone to reflect this. It's an interactive mirror whether it be Broadcast or Digital. Especially in 2017 where due to social media, we the people have the power to project, manipulate and censor whatever images we want. I used Digital media just now to look up the digital divide in Africa and it is way behind other countries. In terms of Broadcast media yes, there are Negative images and info about African Americans shown on Television but there is also positive images and information. We have more say in 2017 about what we take in. This is why I say the mass media excuse is flimsy and this is why I assumed that the preconceived notions Africans have about African Americans come from internal influences.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Here's the thing, there is good and bad in every country and culture. There are good and bad people in every race. The media is a tool used by everyone to reflect this. It's an interactive mirror whether it be Broadcast or Digital. Especially in 2017 where due to social media, we the people have the power to project, manipulate and censor whatever images we want. I used Digital media just now to look up the digital divide in Africa and it is way behind other countries. In terms of Broadcast media yes, there are Negative images and info about African Americans shown on Television but there is also positive images and information. We have more say in 2017 about what we take in. This is why I say the mass media excuse is flimsy and this is why I assumed that the preconceived notions Africans have about African Americans come from internal influences.

Again since you studied digital media, you should know that despite the gains of Africa in terms of leaping to cell phone technology and leaping landlines and the innovations that have come with the adaptation of cell phone technology such as money transfer, the internet penetration in Africa is pretty low compared to the rest of the world and especially the developed world and it is very expensive try $200 per month (that's what I have spent the past 3 weeks on internet while I pay $45.00 per month unlimited with AT&T in the US) in some countries and that's with limited data.

The access to information facilitated by the internet in the developed world is light years ahead of Africa.

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps
Again since you studied digital media, you should know that despite the gains of Africa in terms of leaping to cell phone technology and leaping landlines and the innovations that have come with the adaptation of cell phone technology such as money transfer, the internet penetration in Africa is pretty low compared to the rest of the world and especially the developed world and it is very expensive try $200 per month (that's what I have spent the past 3 weeks on internet while I pay $45.00 per month unlimited with AT&T in the US) in some countries and that's with limited data.

The access to information facilitated by the internet in the developed world is light years ahead of Africa.
So what im trying to understand is if their access to information via the Internet is limited and their access to information about America is limited, where do the negative notions come from? TV? TV can be filtered. You can choose what you watch on TV. You choose what you take in and seek out.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
really breh?

so you you gonna lump Liberians, Senegalese, Ivorians and Guineans with the likes of Nigeria, Ghana and Siera Leone? :stopitslime:

I see how you feel. :wow:
You a Fulani and so I don't consider you a real one. You guys are invaders.:ld:

I don't have no hate for Coastal West Africans BUT... Not only did they WILLINGLY sell their own into slavery but STILL to this day they try to look down on the diaspora. I know its mostly Nigeria, but sometimes Ghana, Benin, Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Togo. I agree I hardly see the bolded ones you listed but still not a good look.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
So what im trying to understand is if their access to information via the Internet is limited and their access to information about America is limited, where do the negative notions come from? TV? TV can be filtered. You can choose what you watch on TV. You choose what you take in and seek out.
Every group (racial,cultural,ethnic,especially Gays and Jews etc.) in the world keenly understands that you learn about people that are different from you through media.

I have no idea why black Americans like you have such trouble with this concept.

Last edited:

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
On the real everytime you post some I feel a deep need to neg on sight.
stop.gif

Slow down on the reps breh!

Your whole energy is repulsive
:hhh:
I'm not gonna lie breh, I get the same vibes from her and I use to like her post, but whenever we're always discussing about Egypt's true African origins from waaay south than she thinks, I always get :mjpls: senses from her response. @Poitier knows what I'm talking about.

Rhapscallion Démone

Supporter
Daps
Every group (racial,cultural,ethnic,especially, Gays and Jews etc.) in the world keenly understands that you learn about people that are different from you through media.

I have no idea why black Americans like you have such trouble with this concept.
My initial point was that people learn about other people through media but it was brought to my attention by the poster I quoted that exposure to media varies geographically. So how do people who have limited access to such media and information develop negative views about African Americans if 1.) They've never been to America and 2.) Have limited access to information about America?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
African Americans are the most "successful" black people on the planet, why should a "poor c00n african" build something for them?

Why do you need a "right of return" when nobody is stopping you from doing business? If you want to become a citizen of an african nation you can do so right now, why are you scared to lose your American citizenship? Lol
This is true. AA's do have a certain amount of privilege and collective(key word) wealth, in which they can go to Africa or Haiti and just buy property and takeover ala White Americans and Europeans. More AA's should look into this. I'd rather wealthy AA's invade Haiti than just White folks.

:hubie: