The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Westcoastnative

All Star
Daps
The point that she was trying to make was that immigrants don't have to deal with the legacy of slavery and systemic racism on the same level as AA's. She's basically saying that if it weren't for said legacy, AA's would be excelling on level with Nigerians or better. Do you disagree with this? :francis:

She's 100% right and this is why Africans are one of the highest earning groups in America and are successful academically when they come here. Africans aren't cursed with centuries of the mental burden of systematic racism and white supremacy like black Americans are. This is also one of the reasons why Africans stay out of Black American social issues.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
I wish they could also include the perspective of other African countries in the videos besides Nigerians and Ghanaians. Africa is one huge diverse continent and two countries don't represent 53.

The past two years i've noticed it's now becoming cool to be African much like how it was cool to be Jamaican in the 90s/early 00s. I think we are seeing some progress in connecting the diaspora with the continent compared to back in the day.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I wish they could also include the perspective of other African countries in the videos besides Nigerians and Ghanaians. Africa is one huge diverse continent and two countries don't represent 53.

The past two years i've noticed it's now becoming cool to be African much like how it was cool to be Jamaican in the 90s/early 00s. I think we are seeing some progress in connecting the diaspora with the continent compared to back in the day.

The funny thing is most of the sterotypes AAs have to Africans are from Nigerians.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

The show is about immigrants, not continental Africans. They should have had a few more Ethiopians/Somalis and a maybe some Francophone Africans but I don't see anything flagrant about having Nigerians/Ghanaians being the bulk of the panel when thats the reality in the States.