The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
The funny thing is most of the sterotypes AAs have to Africans are from Nigerians.

I've heard some of the same stereotypes about AAs in my Ghanaian community too, thought I admit Nigerians are much more direct and loud with the stereotypes than we are.

Though with both countries around my age in college, the barriers are becoming less and AAs are more curious about us(wearing Dashikis and bumping Wizkid and Mr. Eazi joints around my campus) than what I experienced back in HS when those same AAs used to mock my name and calling us pretentious booty scratchers :francis:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The past two years i've noticed it's now becoming cool to be African much like how it was cool to be Jamaican in the 90s/early 00s. I think we are seeing some progress in connecting the diaspora with the continent compared to back in the day.

Afrocentrism was strongest in the 60s and 70s.

I believe @IllmaticDelta has cited sources about AAs wearing dashikis during that time sort of instilling pride in continental Africans wearing the attire.

I wouldn't chalk this up to some bridge-gapping.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Afrocentrism was strongest in the 60s and 70s.

I believe @IllmaticDelta has cited sources about AAs wearing dashikis during that time sort of instilling pride in continental Africans wearing the attire.

I wouldn't chalk this up to some bridge-gapping.

Also forgot to mention this. I noticed a different reaction from AAs towards us between my HS years and my college years.

In HS, i used to get mocked for my name and brining unusual looking food that's not hamburgers or Spanish food to school for lunch.

In college(graduated this May), AAs were now suddenly wanting to be nice to me and learn about our African culture. Women were now wearing Dashiki dresses on campus and bumping Mr. Eazi joints.

It's no different from what Haitians in Florida went through in the 90s vs. now when Zoe Pound started developing.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Also forgot to mention this. I noticed a different reaction from AAs towards us between my HS years and my college years.

In HS, i used to get mocked for my name and brining unusual looking food that's not hamburgers or Spanish food to school for lunch.

In college(graduated this May), AAs were not suddenly wanted to be nice to me and learn about our African culture.

It's no different from what Haitians in Florida went through in the 90s vs. now when Zoe Pound started developing.

And there is still tons of cultural misunderstanding between AA and Islanders just less outward hostility.

And its not like proximity of these different groups suddenly lead to anything constructive on a greater scale.

This dream yall have of all Black folks in the diaspora having cultural understanding of each other is idealistic. The best we will get is enough sense to do business with each other....about it.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
I've heard some of the same stereotypes about AAs in my Ghanaian community too, thought I admit Nigerians are much more direct and loud with the stereotypes than we are.

Though with both countries around my age in college, the barriers are becoming less and AAs are more curious about us(wearing Dashikis and bumping Wizkid and Mr. Eazi joints around my campus) than what I experienced back in HS when those same AAs used to mock my name and calling us pretentious booty scratchers :francis:

:beli:

No afram in high school ever called you this:mjlol:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
:beli:

No afram in high school ever called you this:mjlol:

Yh i exaggerated. But they said a lot of ignorant shyt about me and I had one friend over for dinner with a shocked look at his face at how we ate with our hands and used meat parts of the liver, stomach, etc rather than steak :francis:

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yh i exaggerated. But they said a lot of ignorant shyt about me and I had one friend over for dinner with a shocked look at his face at how we ate with our hands and used meat parts of the liver, stomach, etc rather than steak :francis:

What city and state are you from.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

In college(graduated this May), AAs were now suddenly wanting to be nice to me and learn about our African culture. Women were now wearing Dashiki dresses on campus and bumping Mr. Eazi joints.

Growing up I never got clowned about my ancestry, I did see Nigerians catch hell though so I can see why many of them grew to look down on AAs. With children of Liberians most folks dont know we are born in Africa or our parents are from there because we dont "look" like Nigerians who are the sterotypical West African in the eyes of the west. Our parents also have accents that are much different than Nigerians and Ghanians so some people either cant tell if the accent is that of someone from the islands or Africa.

Luckily I was never ashamed of my history so if someone tried to clown me Id just roast em right back. I noticed Nigerian kids would give themselves nicknames to hide their names either because they were annoyed people couldnt pronouce it or didnt want people to know they were NIgerian.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Went to HS in Jersey, college in Upstate NY.
there lies your problem
this is more of a western thing than anything else

Daps
Reppin
Oakland

This snowflake bullshyt :mjlol:

Children tease each othe all the time. You being African is just as good a reason as you having a fukked up haircut :manny:

We're not not divided as a group because a child called you a booty scratcher :comeon: