The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
I don't understand why some Africans are standoffish when it comes to some AA's trying to reconnect with their own history pre-slavery. It makes no sense. You have to recognize that the intention is not to exploit but to learn about/reconnect with their ancestors.
I don't understand it either especially since they (along with other immigrant groups) in reverse don't have a problem with taking from our culture. Also ayesha made a great point with the baby being taking from their mother analogy to the trans Atlantic slave trade.How are you going to reject someone who most likely descends from that culture after being forcefully separated from it? Especially when they genuinely want to reconnect? I don't get it but at this point I don't care anymore all I want now is AA solidarity nothing more nothing less.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How you gonna tell us how WE should take an insult? :francis: This is like saying mayo is just as bad as being called ******

Or, I can tell you that being called booty scratcher and spear chucker isn't as bad as being called akata so get the fukk over it already. Two can play that game.
they're both epithets but Lets be a little objective over here are you really gonna compare.....
akata = africans away from home :hula: quoting white supremicst rhetoric

And BTW been gotten over that shyt . :francis:Obviously

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
they're both epithets but Lets be a little objective over here are you really gonna compare.....
akata = africans away from home :hula: quoting white supremicst rhetoric

And BTW been gotten over that shyt . :francis:Obviously

To be truly objective would be to not compare epithets at all... don't try to tell us how to take being called akata and we won't tell you how to take being called spear chucker #objectivity

K.Dot

African American
Daps
Reppin
Bro 'nem
@Fandroid

West Indians came here and got houses and shyt while we couldn't because they weren't like us.

West Indians are the perfect example of how being non-AA is an advantage and how Black immigrants come over here where at back home they are majority and practice ethnic inclusivity while we try to be all open arms with them due our race based thinking.

Just read this paper...
http://scholarship.law.gwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2465&context=faculty_publications

Why are the black brownstone owners in Harlem and Brooklyn disproportionately West Indian? The landlords, West Indian-American? The tenants African-American? These are tough questions. For students of housing discrimination, West Indian Americans have long presented a quandary. If it is reasonable to assume that racial exclusions are being consistently applied to persons who are dark-skinned, one would expect to find that housing discrimination has had similar effects on West Indian Americans and African-Americans. Yet this is not the case: West Indian Americans generally own and rent higher quality housing than African Americans.

Eschewing more traditional explanations in the civil rights literature, I apply the literature in which racial segregation in real property ownership is conceived as a racial monopoly in which racial cartels appropriate anticompetitive techniques to monopolize access to real property. Maintaining a racial cartel is dependent on white owners maintaining a united front, that is, they must uniformly refuse to sell. Importantly, realtors play a gatekeeping role in real estate and West Indians dominated the realtor sector. As realtors, they were expert at finding defectors, namely, whites willing to break norms of racial exclusivity, in exchange for their ability to extract a premium for selling to blacks early. Brokers then proceeded to buy significant numbers of titles, which were then off-loaded to fellow West Indians. West Indian brokers could act in confidence because they had cashrich clients and were often buying in trust (de-facto if not de-jure) for fellow West Indians. In so doing, West Indian brokers in New York were simply replicating techniques that had been utilized by their land-brokering ancestors. I discuss the history that “previews” this period in New York, albeit in a different context: in the British West Indian islands from the migrants originated. There are repeated instances of blacks "busting" white monopolies in landownership, throughout the West Indian colonies in contravention of racial norms in the British colonies of who was allowed to own land where. Upon arrival in New York, West Indians encountered another racial monopoly in real property ownership, namely Northern racial segregation. They essentially appropriated the same techniques that they had utilized in the West Indies to break into white neighbourhoods in New York.

Black Cobain

Donkey Punch? I Donkey Slap!
Daps
Reppin
New Afrika
I can't respect or take any CA that lives in the country of his/her former colonizer all while talking shyt about BAs seriously

I had one c*nt from Benin living in France claim BAs were all lazy criminals that made a mockery of "her" culture but used AAVE, stanned BA artists and got all mad when I mentioned prolly moving to Ghana because I didn't "consider countries like Benin and Togo"

Oh and she claimed Haitians had an inferior version of Vodun and didn't care if they were slaves or not :scust:

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
Southern Africans, Muslim West Africans and East African Bantus are the LEAST :mjpls: from what I seen offline and online.

Haitians are a wildcard they can be very :mjpls: or very opened minded to AAs especially the ones that come from "humble" backgrounds.
The Haitian diaspora varies on the region. The biggest c00ns are the ones that are in Montreal. Them and the Boston Haitians look down on the Haitians in NYC and Miami because we apparently make Haitians "look bad." We are all family but you feel the regionalism at family reunions.

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
The Haitian diaspora varies on the region. The biggest c00ns are the ones that are in Montreal. Them and the Boston Haitians look down on the Haitians in NYC and Miami because we apparently make Haitians "look bad." We are all family but you feel the regionalism at family reunions.

Haitians in Miami and the Haitians out in Crown Heights very much respect Black Americans. Haitians in Miami especially hate everyone non-Black, especially those white Cubans :scust: if you're not one of them, Miami Zoes will probably fukk with you. They're like a rare exception lol because they know firsthand what it's like to grow up being oppressed IN THIS COUNTRY. That shyt matters. It is a completely different experience than coming OVER here.

EDIT: Miami is also its own little world in a way, the government is primarily white Cubans that despise all Black people and lump us together anyway, but that ESPECIALLY hate Haitians. They literally made up laws to send them back while Cubans got to stay. They know the feeling of being in this county under a regime that despises you very personally and specifically.

Last edited:

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
The word Akata, lost cat, stray cat, wild cat, cat away from home doesn't just imply a lack of a home. It also implies a lack of ownership. The word Akata can be interpreted as a cat who doesnt have a master or "massa". Continental Africans using that word is very problematic. I was going to make a thread about this but I figured the conversation would be to draining so I didn't.

ATownD19

The Black King You Love To Hate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Universe
There's a collective of West, East, South, and North Africans to treat black americans like shyt?

Be willfully obtuse brehs

He tried to say it's just a Nigerian thing. I said no, it's an offset of colonization which affects your entire continent, North, South, East, and West. That you are all part of a global collective that places Black Americans at the bottom. You need me to spell anything else out for your simple ass?

Places black americans at the bottom of what?

The racial hierarchy/power structure, especially as it pertains to global citizens coming to the US. Studies have actually shown that Black Americans in America are least likely to be hired after Black immigrants because of views that we are 'lazy' and they are 'hardworking,' we are less likely to be treated fairly by teachers at school, in hospitals, etc. Basically in terms of all American infrastructure foreign blacks are preferred and we are at the bottom. And foreign Blacks come to this country and perpetuate that shyt then call us divisive for speaking up about it.

West, East, South, and North Africans are the ones dictating this in America?

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)
You AA have been trying to ride our wave the past 2-3 years now. Wearing dashikis, bumping our music, sudden renewed interest in pan-Africanism to connect with us. :russ:

:stopitslime:
Because we're all Africans at the end of the day. Every other racial group puts their minor differences to the side when it comes to getting money, gaining political strength & building allies........

Except black folks.
:snoop:

And it's mainly because Africans IN AFRICA are too scary to get some to pop.
:mjpls::sas1:
AA's be caring more about africa than native Africans. If I'm not mistaken pan africanism is a Diasporan concept
:sas2:
And some of the best scholars on pan african theory are AA's
:mjgrin:
Meanwhile you go to a place like Nigeria and this what they got goin on

jesus-africa-nigeria-builds-biggest-statue-of-white-jesus.jpg