The Get Down Part 1 & 2 (Official Thread)

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Only thing I like about this show is Cadillac and them nikkas and that's because they're African American. I'm from the south I can't relate to all that Hispanic bullshyt. You would think a show revolving around the early stages of hip hop would at least focus on the group that created it but I guess not :manny:

The whole Bronx scene was really driven by young people of Caribbean heritage: Jamaica (Herc), Barbados (Flash and Bambaata) and Puerto Rico (Rock Steady Crew, Charlie Chase).

The Bronx was very diverse. Some parts of it were so heavily populated by Puerto Ricans that it was referred as "North San Juan."

article-2343647-1A5F9839000005DC-942_970x658.jpg

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
The whole Bronx scene was really driven by young people of Caribbean heritage: Jamaica (Herc), Barbados (Flash and Bambaata) and Puerto Rico (Rock Steady Crew, Charlie Chase).

The Bronx was very diverse. Some parts of it were so heavily populated by Puerto Ricans that it was referred as "North San Juan."

article-2343647-1A5F9839000005DC-942_970x658.jpg
was it really:mjpls:so African Americans had little to nothing to do with the early days of Hip Hop or it's creation. Is that what you're telling me

@IllmaticDelta @K.O.N.Y

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
I mean the gentrification of hip hop is almost complete. At least for the east coast anyway. I'm at the point where when I hear east coast hip hop I automatically think of cacs, Hispanics, and other islanders. Used to be when I heard some early Dipset or some other classic NY shyt I automatically thought of African American music, history, and culture but whatever:manny:hip hop is definitely going down the path of rock n roll

Southern rap is still African American music though I guess:mjgrin:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
was it really:mjpls:so African Americans had little to nothing to do with the early days of Hip Hop or it's creation. Is that what you're telling me

@IllmaticDelta @K.O.N.Y
Were there caribbeans and hispanics,of course
But the scene was still Afram dominated. The sonic signature of early hip hop music was funk and disco. Two afram dominated music genres

Most caribbeans lived in the north bronx. As they do today

Im from the southeast bronx

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin

@IllmaticDelta @K.O.N.Y

It was mixed in the Bronx. Most of the Furious Five is of southern black heritage. I think Grand Wizard Theodore is.

The Cold Crush Brothers were mixed with both southern blacks like Grandmaster Caz, and Puerto Ricans.

Other parts of the city were different.

The Harlem emcees like DJ Hollywood and Kurtis Blow were of southern black heritage. King Charles was Jamaican and he was known as a major deejay throughout NYC.

The top Hip Hop radio personality on WHBI and WBLS was Mr. Magic (John Rivas) who was a black Puerto Rican.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I mean the gentrification of hip hop is almost complete. At least for the east coast anyway. I'm at the point where when I hear east coast hip hop I automatically think of cacs, Hispanics, and other islanders. Used to be when I heard some early Dipset or some other classic NY shyt I automatically thought of African American music, history, and culture but whatever:manny:hip hop is definitely going down the path of rock n roll

Southern rap is still African American music though I guess:mjgrin:

When I traveled down South to visit family while Hip Hop was developing back home in NYC, all I heard playing
was gospel, RJ's Latest Arrival and ZZ Hill.

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
When I traveled down South to visit family while Hip Hop was developing back home in NYC, all I heard playing
was gospel, RJ's Latest Arrival and ZZ Hill.
And that's perfectly fine because that's our culture.

nikkas was on Funk, Southern and northern Soul, Blues, Disco and all that shyt back then and all of that shyt had elements of Hip Hop in it. And southern nikkas was on modern Hip Hop as soon as Sugar hill Gang came out my pops from the Sip and he was on them nikkas. So don't try to make it like nikkas was out the loop and still picking cotton while modern Hip Hop was starting to spread

Are we trying to write African Americans out of the story?:mjpls:

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
And that's perfectly fine because that's our culture.

nikkas was on Funk, Southern and northern Soul, Blues, Disco and all that shyt back then and all of that shyt had elements of Hip Hop in it. And southern nikkas was on modern Hip Hop as soon as Sugar hill Gang came out my pops from the Sip and he was on them nikkas. So don't try to make it like nikkas was out the loop and still picking cotton while modern Hip Hop was starting to spread

Are we trying to write African Americans out of the story?:mjpls:

How are we written out of the story? The fact is that the Bronx b-boy/b-girl scene was mixed
with different young people of southern black and Caribbean heritage. Can't escape that.

The Harlem scene was southern-black driven. So was Queens.

Brooklyn was on its own.

The b-boy party scene wasn't just records (there were only tapes, no records until '79). It was the music, the loud systems, the dancing, the fashion, the art. Everybody had a piece.

If you traveled down South in '78, there was basically no trace of what was going on in NYC.

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
How are we written out of the story?

Well you did say this:

"The whole Bronx scene was really driven by young people of Caribbean heritage"

As if African Americans were the ones who were just pulling on Latino and carribean nikkas coat tails, tagging along for the ride on some little brother shyt

I understand that they were standing around break dancing and learning how to DJ from black people and shyt but why center the show around these people.

It's like creating a show chronicling how life was during the transition from Gospel to Blues but instead of focusing on the black people that actually created the shyt, we center the show around the white slave owning muthafukkas who did nothing more than sat around on the front porch and slapped their knees while the blacks actually put in the groundwork.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Well you did say this:

"The whole Bronx scene was really driven by young people of Caribbean heritage"

As if African Americans were the ones who were just pulling on Latino and carribean nikkas coat tails, tagging along for the ride on some little brother shyt

It isn't in dispute that Herc's (Jamaican) parties on Sedgwick in the Bronx provided the framework for what became the b-boy scene (Hip Hop).

Or that Flash was the Bronx's most influential deejay. Or that Bam and the Zulus were the most influential crew.

Ignoring that would be revisionism.

sourcemag.jpg