The Get Down Part 1 & 2 (Official Thread)

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Mylene was the truth but I got a thing for ratchet Latinas so her friend was :shaq: status

Lil Drake was annoying and the never ending simping from episode 1 was tiresome.

Jaden Smith whole angle was
fUtZID0.jpg

So did Shaolin just go back with fat Annie? Was that was his fate :mjcry:

Glad to see the Unc from Grounded for Life still getting work.

Cadillac stole every scene he was in.

Imma start calling every Latina chick I talk to my butterscotch queen :mjgrin:

Im always gonna watch shows with black and ethnic actors and actresses. A shame they broke the budget and didnt get the acclaim they expected. Writing could have been tidied up but still better than some shows that's had multiple seasons give. Its a given the show is dome imo, but hopefully it gives all these actors a platform to be in other projects especially the kid from Dope, he's a great actor

Shameik Moore. Dude is a star in the making, just can't get typecast as the retro black actor.

KingCesar

All Star
Daps
I really enjoyed the last half of the season, but it bothered me that the Bronx itself became less important to the story in Part 2. A big part of the fun in Part 1 was in how the show approached the Bronx, and how it was as important to the story as the characters were. We saw famous locations, the various gangs, the graffiti artists, the “big three” DJs who ran the streets, rival groups, and big events like the blackout and the mayoral election, etc. It all really drove home how hip-hop could only have been created there. I don’t know if it was the budget or just a creative decision to become more focused, but Part 2 doesn’t have much of that, and The Get Down lost some of what made it such a unique and interesting show in the first place.

The new episodes are still good. In fact, I'd probably say that on the whole they're better than the first six, but I missed the world-building.

KingCesar

All Star
Daps
Yeah, that bothered me too. Part 1 has all these side characters: Grandmaster Flash, Notorious 3, Kool Herc, the Savage Warlords, Ceasars, Shao's OJ driver friend, the other graffiti artists Dizzie is always hanging around with. These guys pretty much all disappear until the last episode. Even characters who were big in Part 1, like Jackie, get their roles reduced. I’d rather have seen the focus go to those guys than Roy Asheton and Mr. Gunns, who were nowhere near as fun.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lurhman is optimistic that SONY TV and NETFLIX will do a season 2 :feedme:

Baz Luhrmann on The Get Down’s Future and Why He’d Do ‘Anything’ for Netflix

Will 'The Get Down' Return For Season 2? There's A Very Good Chance

Thankfully, it seems the odds of another season happening are pretty good. Show creator Baz Luhrmann sat down with Vulture last month to discuss the future of The Get Down and he's hopeful there will be a second season. "To be honest, we have already developed the opening of the next season," he told the outlet. "Sony and Netflix have been very driven about having a second season. There has been no question about that. They really want it."

However, although the want for a second season is definitely there, Luhrmann said he doesn't think he'd stay on as showrunner if the show does continue. Instead, he hinted that they already have a showrunner in mind to take his place. "Way back in the very beginning of this, and I won't say who it was, but there is an African-American director who is absolutely the best of the best for this, and always was," he said. "I tried to get him involved and I couldn't. I don't want to be tease-y, but we're all trying to hope to make that work out."

I wonder if Luhrmann is talking about bringing in someone like Ryan Coogler, or Barry Jenkins. Or maybe Ava Duvernay?

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Finished it last night it was an alright ending. I feel like they kind of lost direction during the second half and tried to fit too much in only five episodes, definitely agree that the first half of it was better. Didn't know the main chick was only 20 IRL she looks a lot older, not in a bad way, but as far as sex appeal. :patrice:

Nino Soprano

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bmore
Liked Part 1 better but I still would like to see a 2nd season

My nikka Cadillac runs that shyt :salute:

Mylene def gonna get turnt out in LA, Books prolly drop out of Yale after seeing Sugar Hill Gang blow up...Shaolin might be on some king pin shyt in the streets...gotta have that 2nd season that fast forwards to like early/mid 80s

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
Only thing I like about this show is Cadillac and them nikkas and that's because they're African American. I'm from the south I can't relate to all that Hispanic bullshyt. You would think a show revolving around the early stages of hip hop would at least focus on the group that created it but I guess not :manny:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only thing I like about this show is Cadillac and them nikkas and that's because they're African American. I'm from the south I can't relate to all that Hispanic bullshyt. You would think a show revolving around the early stages of hip hop would at least focus on the group that created it but I guess not :manny:

Hispanics were involved as well.