The Get Down Part 1 & 2 (Official Thread)

K-ZOE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I finished Part 2 over the weekend and I enjoyed it. The animation didn't bother me. I only read the last six pages or so of this thread but did anybody else get a homo vibe from Shao? Even from Part 1 dude used to act like he was in love with Zeke to me. The way he acted towards Mylene seemed like some jealous ex shyt to me. But there did seem to be some sexual tension when they argued so I wasn't sure. But when Zeke moved in with Shao, Shao said "you can stay as long as you like". I think Zeke said "How bout forever". Jokingly kinda. Shao was like "Cool with me" and they made a point to show a close up of his face looking serious as a mufukka when he said it too. Then there was the part about Mylene saying she heard he couldn't get it up. Then when the group broke up at the end and he argued with Zeke, I thought he was gonna kiss Zeke when he threw him on the car. And then there was what he said to Dizzee. "People don't need to know everything about you. I got your back". I dunno. I thought they were going there with it.

And yeah looks like Fat Annie used to make Cadillac hit that too then he got older and she replaced him with Shao. But Shao is not her son tho. I took it as he was a kid they took in off the streets.

That Toybox song was not for that era at all. Mufukkas woulda been in there like :hhh: :picard: :hubie::dwillhuh::scust::usure:

That's like sending Desiigner back in time to perform at the Tunnel in 94. He'd get destroyed.

I hope they get another season...

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
Question for y'all that watch this:

Has the dearth of black people behind the scenes affected your perception or digestion of the show?

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
haven't read or commented in the thread before.

theres a lot you can say about this show, good or bad but Episode 2 of Part 2 is fantastic.
watched it earlier and it just made me smile.

i prefer to space out this show...so i've been watching this one episode at a time withe the last 5 episodes of The Breaks,

Forlife44

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wanted a tragic ending. Mylene a teen finding her dads body batter he kills himself, then hearing the tape and finding out that's not her dad, would send her into drugs and random sex, then she overdoses.

They should have just wrapped it up I doubt it comes back.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Part 2 was wack. Part 1 was way better. It felt bigger and The City felt more alive. The animation took me out of the show.

In truth The show really should have just been about Shaolin, Cadilac and Fat Annie. They were the best characters :yeshrug:

Family Man

Banned
Daps
Imma keep it real with y'all. This show sucks. The acting was wack, the stories were garbage, and worst off all it had fakkit ass Jaden Smith in it. Matter of fact, all the characters were garbage.

I'll give it a 4.5 out of 10.

Family Man

Banned
Daps
Lurhman is optimistic that SONY TV and NETFLIX will do a season 2 :feedme:

Baz Luhrmann on The Get Down’s Future and Why He’d Do ‘Anything’ for Netflix

Will 'The Get Down' Return For Season 2? There's A Very Good Chance

Thankfully, it seems the odds of another season happening are pretty good. Show creator Baz Luhrmann sat down with Vulture last month to discuss the future of The Get Down and he's hopeful there will be a second season. "To be honest, we have already developed the opening of the next season," he told the outlet. "Sony and Netflix have been very driven about having a second season. There has been no question about that. They really want it."

However, although the want for a second season is definitely there, Luhrmann said he doesn't think he'd stay on as showrunner if the show does continue. Instead, he hinted that they already have a showrunner in mind to take his place. "Way back in the very beginning of this, and I won't say who it was, but there is an African-American director who is absolutely the best of the best for this, and always was," he said. "I tried to get him involved and I couldn't. I don't want to be tease-y, but we're all trying to hope to make that work out."

I wonder if Luhrmann is talking about bringing in someone like Ryan Coogler, or Barry Jenkins. Or maybe Ava Duvernay?
Man put that money into some other shyt. The ship has already sailed for this show.

Forlife44

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Imma keep it real with y'all. This show sucks. The acting was wack, the stories were garbage, and worst off all it had fakkit ass Jaden Smith in it. Matter of fact, all the characters were garbage.

I'll give it a 4.5 out of 10.
Jaden will wash you cuz
0421-cuba-gooding-with-jaden-on-set-of-new-movie-splash-sub-3.jpg

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Just started part 2. It's becoming such a chore for me to get through this. Feels way different from part 1
I was just coming here to post the exact same thing, I mean to be honest an episode in part 1 often felt like 90mins but the style just kept things flowing even when the story made you wince. Not in part 2 though, something seems off from the little I have seen, it just feels really dry. And the actor that plays books has a really annoying screen presence. Will give it another try as background noise hopefully something grabs me