The Game Awards 2022 December 8th 730pm EST -Are you Excited yet?-

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Plague Tale Requiem’s narrative was my main point of contention with the game. They tried way too hard to steer it the direction of TLOU2’s misery simulator and didn’t pull it off with half the amount of nuance.

I'll take the attempt over 'Joss Whedon Presents God of War Ragnarok'

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Elden Ring deserves to win best game but Souls 'lore', which basically boils down to item descriptions and fan theories, should not be considered a full narrative, it provides context, but it isn't a story.

Elden Ring beating GoW for game direction, GoW beating Plagues Tale for narrative and Gran Turismo 7 for sound design:dead:

I don't know how people watch that shyt :russ:
That's why I said videogames aren't a storytelling medium, because "gamers" will defend games with no real story because they like the game play.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
That's why I said videogames aren't a storytelling medium, because "gamers" will defend games with no real story because they like the game play.

Every single artistic medium that exists has the potential for storytelling, art isn't defined by fan culture.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Found a youtube playlist of all the trailers, I'm not watching the game awards:heh:

this would’ve been the smart thing to do but I was dead set on “winning” another steam deck so I watched the whole thing…they need to chop off like an hour or so smh

*edit*

this is missing a few trailers from the pre-show that aired from 7:30-8PM…it’s one in particular I was looking for but I forgot the name…I’ll have to go back into the thread and look for it

this is the game I was talking about…in hindsight tho it doesn’t look that exciting…

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Elden Ring deserves to win best game but Souls 'lore', which basically boils down to item descriptions and fan theories, should not be considered a full narrative, it provides context, but it isn't a story.

Elden Ring beating GoW for game direction, GoW beating Plagues Tale for narrative and Gran Turismo 7 for sound design:dead:

I don't know how people watch that shyt :russ:
Y’all are equating “cutscenes” with “story”.

Story can be told in lots of ways. That’s what makes gaming unique.

Elden ring has more “story” than most games. It’s just up to the user to uncover it.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
I never played Elden Ring but am considering it. Is it different from other souls games because I'm not a fan of those at all. Call me whatever but they just aren't fun to me.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Y’all are equating “cutscenes” with “story”.

Story can be told in lots of ways. That’s what makes gaming unique.

Elden ring has more “story” than most games. It’s just up to the user to uncover it.

The way Elden Ring uses item descriptions and NPCs to tell a story is not comparable to other games. It's not cohesive and at times is completely nonsensical. It lacks progress, character development and direction, it's a great game, but it has a thin story that shouldn't win any narrative awards.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
XC3 should have won best rpg. Elden ring to me was more of an action adventure with rpg elements.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

I disagree, it is a storytelling medium, regardless of it's idiotic audience.

There's people who defend trash movies and books too, maybe they love the action of the movie, or the author of the book, rather than the content, it's what we do.
The way Elden Ring uses item descriptions and NPCs to tell a story is not comparable to other games. It's not cohesive and at times is completely nonsensical. It lacks progress, character development and direction, it's a great game, but it has a thin story that shouldn't win any narrative awards.
Agreed. People who think that equates to a story on par or better than a story that does incorporate those elements are blinded by how much they love the game or don't know how much better those other stories actually are.