The Game Awards 2022 December 8th 730pm EST -Are you Excited yet?-

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The way Elden Ring uses item descriptions and NPCs to tell a story is not comparable to other games. It's not cohesive and at times is completely nonsensical. It lacks progress, character development and direction, it's a great game, but it has a thin story that shouldn't win any narrative awards.
It’s not comparable and imo is a better way to tell a story in a GAME. The story is intertwined in the users input in a way that can only be done in a game.

And you are incorrect about the bolded. It has all that, but again it’s all dictated by what you as the player put into the game.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I disagree, it is a storytelling medium, regardless of it's idiotic audience.

There's people who defend trash movies and books too, maybe they love the action of the movie, or the author of the book, rather than the content, it's what we do.

Agreed. People who think that equates to a story on par or better than a story that does incorporate those elements are blinded by how much they love the game or don't know how much better those other stories actually are.
I don't disagree with you. I grew up playing JRPG's on SNES. Story is the main reason I play video games.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
The story is intertwined in the users input in a way that can only be done in a game.
it’s all dictated by what you as the player put into the game.

You see how vague you have to be in order to make this point? :russ:

You are walking over an item (that's not even modeled in game) and reading a description of that item, that's the bulk of the lore in Elden Ring. It's not a reactive dialogue system like disco elysium or outer worlds that recontextualizes scenes based on the decisions you make, or a conventionally directed cutscene that has the benefit of using cinematography and an emotional performance. Can it technically meet the definition of a story, sure, but its focus is not narrative, so it shouldn't win an award for best narrative direction.

imo is a better way to tell a story in a GAME

Games don't have to be one thing, Her Story and Pillars of Eternity are as legitimate as Elden Ring. You just happen to prefer one over the other, that's fine, but the same way Her Story can't compare to Elden Ring mechanically, Elden Ring can't hold a candle to story focused games.

Last edited:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Probably stalled because of covid, they were talking about this on the digital foundry podcast, certain team got absolutely fukked by the pandemic based on where they were in development.

Covid / WFH is definitely is a big factor in the delays.

But this was a huge opportunity for MS to show everyone that 2023 wont be like 2022, and they still clearly arent ready to show anything.

the message i got from this show is that xbox doesnt actually exist

The hilarious thing is there was a trailer they showed off at TGAs that looked like it couldve been Avowed, and then it displayed an entirely different name at the end lmao.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The way Elden Ring uses item descriptions and NPCs to tell a story is not comparable to other games. It's not cohesive and at times is completely nonsensical. It lacks progress, character development and direction, it's a great game, but it has a thin story that shouldn't win any narrative awards.

People can't tell the difference between lore/background and actual functional storytelling.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You see how vague you have to be in order to make this point? :russ:

You are walking over an item (that's not even modeled in game) and reading a description of that item, that's the bulk of the lore in Elden Ring.
No, the story is also told through dialog and things that happen in the world.
It's not a reactive dialogue system like disco elysium or outer worlds that recontextualize scenes based on the decisions you make, or a conventionally directed cutscene that has the benefit of using cinematography and an emotional performance. Can it technically meet the definition of a story, sure, but its focus is not narrative, so it shouldn't win an award for best narrative.
Yes, as i said games have different ways of telling a story. In elden ring instead of dictating the story through dialog, the story is driven by the things you actually do in the game world. And it didn’t win for best narrative.
Games don't have to be one thing, Her Story and Pillars of Eternity are as legitimate as Elden Ring. You just happen to prefer one over the other, that's fine, but the same way Her Story can't compare to Elden Ring mechanically, Elden Ring can't hold a candle to story focused games.
I didn’t say they had to be one thing.

In the context of the video game awards i think a game that tells a story in a way that only games can is should be awarded more than a game that’s basically an interactive movie.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
I actually have that game, haven't played much of it but it was pretty dope

Dope, sekiro and the demon souls remake are the most accessible souls games, I'd put bloodborne, but that game is fukking broken, can't stand it. To be honest, once you play one, you'll realize they're incredibly simple lmao they have more in common with rhythm games than traditional rpgs.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I never played Elden Ring but am considering it. Is it different from other souls games because I'm not a fan of those at all. Call me whatever but they just aren't fun to me.

If you don't like Souls games, then you won't like ER unless you over level yourself.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
In the context of the video game awards i think a game that tells a story in a way that only games can is should be awarded more than a game that’s basically an interactive movie.
I don't even like GoW, but calling it an 'interactive movie' is as reductive as calling Elden Rings' story a 'bunch of text logs and npc chatter'.

No, the story is also told through dialog and things that happen in the world. In elden ring instead of dictating the story through dialog, the story is driven by the things you actually do in the game world.

And how is that story conveyed literally? You're not having an honest discussion, I admit cutscenes take away player autonomy in exchange for a more emotional and grandiose experience. But you can't admit how Elden Ring is bad at telling a fully fleshed out story, Elden Ring isn't Gone Home breh it's an open world DS3.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't even like GoW, but calling it an 'interactive movie' is as reductive as calling Elden Rings' story a 'bunch of text logs and npc chatter'.

And how is that story conveyed literally? You're not having an honest discussion, I admit cutscenes take away player autonomy in exchange for a more emotional and grandiose experience. But you can't admit how Elden Ring is bad at telling a fully fleshed out story, Elden Ring isn't Gone Home breh it's an open world DS2.

Meach didn’t even play god of war, whats the point in arguing with him

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I wasn’t talking about GOW. You mentioned Her Story and stuff like that.
And how is that story conveyed literally? You're not having an honest discussion, I admit cutscenes take away player autonomy in exchange for a more emotional and grandiose experience. But you can't admit how Elden Ring is bad at telling a fully fleshed out story, Elden Ring isn't Gone Home breh it's an open world DS2.
Like i said it’s through dialog or things you can actually see in the world. Environmental storytelling where the characters and the architecture in a certain area might be part of the story. It actually has very detailed side quests where you have to complete specific tasks and the order you complete those fast may change the way the story plays out. During boss fight the bosses usually say something that ties some story pieces together. Or NPCs you meet in different locations can have a backstory of their own depending one when/where you meet them.

There a lot there, but like i said as the player you only get out of it what you put in. You can definitely play through the entire game and not have any clue a story was even told, but you can also play through and engage in a very rich and detailed story/lore.

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Dope, sekiro and the demon souls remake are the most accessible souls games, I'd put bloodborne, but that game is fukking broken, can't stand it. To be honest, once you play one, you'll realize they're incredibly simple lmao they have more in common with rhythm games than traditional rpgs.

I didn't like Demon Souls but I hadn't played the remake. Any differences from the original? Hated Bloodborne. I tried so many times to get into it but just couldn't.